On low amperage, hoping I can find one
that will run off the 2000 Honda gen
an still keep our full size frig running

(Houseboat issue)
18 REPLIES 18

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
"...the kettle grill is a jack of all trades but certainly a master of well, maybe direct heat grilling?"

Simply can't argue with that. I had a Weber grill that sat outside continuously for probably 7 years and the kettle itself looked great. The legs were starting to rust through, but the kettle was untouched by the weather. And it was fantastic as a BBQ. One of the great things about it was when the meat was done, put the lid on, close the vents, and the unburned charcoal would be there for the next use.

We usually try to pick up 100-200 lbs. of charcoal when the box stores run it on sale early in the spring @ $9 for 40 lbs.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
I hate to try to use a regular grill to smoke. It would be hard to keep the heat indirect while maintaining correct temperatures, and adding wood for smoke, and water could be a bit of an issue too. Could be done but not as easily as a purpose built smoker.

Valid points ... the kettle grill is a jack of all trades but certainly a master of well, maybe direct heat grilling?

I've never run out of water while smoking, usually a 12 oz beer poured into an old pie tin is overflowing at the end with all fat and water rendered from the flesh

Adding wood for smoke isn't an issue, all the wood goes in at the beginning, while laying out a snake of coals for 3-6 hours.

Maintaining the temperature is the hard part, fussing with vents, etc. Advantage to the electric smoker here.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
MEX's Home Style Smoked Mango Slices...

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I hate to try to use a regular grill to smoke. It would be hard to keep the heat indirect while maintaining correct temperatures, and adding wood for smoke, and water could be a bit of an issue too. Could be done but not as easily as a purpose built smoker.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
I just use my Weber Kettle grill to smoke, no generators needed.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
ScottG wrote:
The eu2000i can pump out 1600 watts continuously so that should cover just about any of them that run off 1500 watts.
I wouldn't
want to listen
to that for very long.
Good point. I hadn't considered that, and most meats will take 4-6 hours to get good results.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
The eu2000i can pump out 1600 watts continuously so that should cover just about any of them that run off 1500 watts.
I wouldn't
want to listen
to that for very long.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
How "Little" is your Little Red Honda?

EU-1000i is good for 900 Volt-Amps (Watts in a resistive system like your smoker)
The EU-2000i is good or 2x that (1800 watts) the smoker as someone pointed out will be 1500 (the most you can plug in) or less.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
What part of "smoker" don't yous understand ??
13-1500 watts is a cooker, not a smoker
-----------------------------------------

Big Chief Top Load Vertical Electric Smoker - 50 Lb. capacity for smoking fish, game, or fowl. Plugs into any standard 3-prong (grounded) 110/120V electrical outlet. The heating unit is 450W and will heat the smoking chamber to approximately 170 deg. F
------------------------------------------------
And that's the big one,....the little chief is 200 watts
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
Check out Green Mountain's Davy Crockett pellet grill. It is very low draw, either straight 12 volt or 120 volt adapter. Also, it's small enough with the legs folded that it stores in one of my basement compartments.

Great portable smoker. Very efficient with the pellets while smoking and it can get hot enough to sear a steak. Fits in our basement easily, the only downside is that it weighs 56 pounds

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.gourmia.com/item.asp?item=10063 1300W

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Green Egg! (Might need another pontoon on the houseboat, though -- BGE is real heavy.) ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
Tal/IL wrote:
Check out Green Mountain's Davy Crockett pellet grill. It is very low draw, either straight 12 volt or 120 volt adapter. Also, it's small enough with the legs folded that it stores in one of my basement compartments.

^^This^^ Love my lil Davy Crockett. Runs great off my 300W inverter or can also be ran off DC.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft