cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical help needed DESPARETLY !

Bob_Dewater
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, Im Bob, a newbie here, please bare with me.
My problem, My RV/ motorhome which i live in full time,I am wired in for 50 amp service 220 V ac, the issue is, had my lights go out today,
and after smelling something "odd" hot or burnt ish, took a bit but regained lights and heat, now it seems that my micro wont work, digi clock wont even come on, the other 1/2 went to turn on her elec blanket to no avail, i looked and noticed on the controller for said blanket, the small indicator lights were horribly dim, had to look closely to see them at all.
I would appear to be low voltage, somewhere well below 110 V ac.
Could this be ? how and why ??
I wont know untill later for sure when i obtain a volt meter.
Im not sure of the wiring in a system such as this.
Ideas ??
Thanx guys
Bob
12 REPLIES 12

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Time to check the connections on the transfer switch. As in real quick.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
".....and after smelling something "odd" hot or burnt ish, took a bit but regained lights and heat....."

I'm curious as to what this statement means and what was done :H

Doesn't sound good and should point in direction of problem.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest you find an electrical person to help you. Don't wait too long. Might also have loose connections in your power distribution panel.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Commonly this is from a bad neutral in the RV or Campground wiring.
Bad neutral causes one side to be over voltage and the other side under voltage.
Frequently the issue is in the transfer switch. But the issue can be a list of things in various places.

Get a voltmeter if you are inclined to do this yourself.

Otherwise if something like replacing the transfer switch yourself seems too complex then you are better to leave this to a professional. For starters have the campground manager check the pedestal.

Or to get the lights on... buy a portable automatic battery charger of at least 10 amps rated. Get an extension cord so you can go direct from the pedestal to the house battery. Just slap it on, no need to disconnect anything.

Keep posting updates for best answers.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds to me like you lost a neutral as well, or if not a neutral a hot, and very likely inside your RV, Your voltmeters are your friend in a case like this.

Did it once in the Sticks and Bricks.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
This will be an interesting thread. OP needs to get us some voltage readings!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Please check the voltage at the pedestal.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
and when you get things back to working right again, buy a multi-function surge protector to protect you against various issues.
bumpy

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you get your multimeter this shows what you should read on the shore power side of your 50 AMP service...

Please use caution with you multimeter probes as you will read 240VAC between the two HOT connections.

I have one of these RV 120VAC Voltmeters plugged into a 120VAC receptacle in my trailer at a good spot so I can give it a quick glance and see that 120VAC is in the "GREEN" safe zone...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
You said you got the lights and heat back on - more information on what you did to make that happen would likely be helpful. Do you have anything working that is plugged into an outlet? Sounds like you only have 12 volt items running now? Do you have an inverter in your RV? Do you have a generator? If you do, do you get better results if you run the generator?
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
First of all - welcome!
If correctly wired, your outlet should be the same as a modern range. ie 2 hots, a neutral and a ground.You see 220V across the 2 hots but 110V from each hot to neutral. Most equipment in your RV will use one or other of the 110V circuits.
I assume everything has been working OK so it sounds to me as if you have lost your neutral and are getting way more than 110V on one half of the rig and way less on the other.
You may have done damage to the equipment that saw the "high" side.
A voltmeter is in order before you try to run anything.
Check the supply outlet and in your panel in the unit.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.