cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical problem

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have an electrical problem and I know almost nothing about electricity, so here it goes with my description of what's happening.

We're staying at Freedom Shores in Isla Aguada, Mexico. Yesterday, when we arrived, I plugged the RV into shore power (15 amp). Everything in the RV ok: microwave came on, fridge switched to AC, phone started charging.

Ten minutes later, I go inside the RV and notice the microwave being off. The rest (fridge, phone charging) still ok and on electric. Strange.
I find my multimeter and test the 15 amp campground outlet: around 230 V! I unplugged shore power and found a different campground outlet that shows around 110 V to plug into.

What is the current situation?
- microwave 'dead' (and apparently the microwave fuse is built-in, so I don't know how to check if that's the issue)
- fridge on AC (not on gas, which it's on when we're not plugged in)
- outlets in RV working (to charge phone)
- fan and AC in RV working
- I checked the RV battery with my multimeter and in early afternoon it showed 12.70 V; in late evening 12.69 V
- I reset all the breakers in the RV: nothing changed.
- I also visually checked the RV fuses: nothing looks burned.

Any idea what is wrong?
Being in Mexico limits the availability of parts or experienced RV electricians, added up with my limited Spanish knowledge ...
Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jorn
25 REPLIES 25

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yay! No more problems! Now go have a great plate of Chilaquiles for celebration.

Tour the old fortress wall in Campeche!

Dang, I love it when things work out down here!

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update: after 2 days, the fuse in the surge protector blew when we swithed the RV's AC to High. Guess it's not meant for an RV.

Back to plan one: test the outlet before plugging in.
If no outlet and the battery is low, drive the car (=truck camper so battery recharges) or plugin the battery charger to our generator.

I wish I paid a LOT more attention in school during electric classes!

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
jornvango wrote:
Thanks Mexicowanderer, I will look into that.
Where can I find the torx with the pin for the microwave: Home Depot?

100 Piece Security Bit Set
Pete
1985 Toyota Dolphin 21' 22RE Auto
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
With 110V AC input the converter DC output with battery positive cable removed from converter should be 13.3V to 14.2V DC. If it isn't then converter is bad
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks Mexicowanderer, I will look into that.
Where can I find the torx with the pin for the microwave: Home Depot?

In the meantime, on the rest of our trip, the battery will get charged when we drive every few days. I also bought a battery charger (75/20) at the AutoZone in Merida. If I don't have an electrical hookup to plug it into, I will use the RV portable generator (Yamaha 2000) to plug the battery charger into.

Before we plug into the campground, I now use the multimeter and make sure it's around 110-130 V.
Since I cannot find an outdoor protector here and a 30 amp one is overkill down here (only regular household outlets as hook up here), I bought an indoor surge protector (suitable for microwave, TV, ...). We hooked up the 15 amp campground outlet to the protector (placed at the floor in the back of the car) and the RV is plugged into the protector. I think this gives us a protected 15 amp (or is it 20.. not sure) hook up, which allows us to run the AC in the RV. So far so good.
Good plan?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
  • The converter fuses MUST be checked before deciding if the converter fried
  • The microwave commonly uses TWO cartridge fuses, one for power the second for electronic controls. They must be removed and checked for continuity with an ohm meter
  • Many microwave covers use TORX security screws with the little pin in the middle. The fuses can be on either side of the PC board
  • Big electronics repair tallers de electronicos, can open up a converter and repair blown stuff, using a good dose of luck
  • A line voltage controller helps protect but I have seen too many fried HUGHES AUTOFORMERS down here to soothe my nervousness about not testing the receptacle first
  • AUTO ZONE MEXICO and some SAM'S Club and Costco warehouses sell battery chargers. Manual charging hassle is better than aborting a trip::GOOGLE the brand name of your suspected fried appliance plus SUCURSALES de MEXICO. The number of official repair stations in larger cities will astonish you.

pcmentor29
Explorer
Explorer
I was at an appliance repair shop and they had the cover off a microwave. I noticed there was a fuse in there. It was one of those old style screw in type they used to use in houses. You could probably find one in Mexico if your MW has one. Pete
1985 Toyota Dolphin 21' 22RE Auto
2002 at Quartzsite, AZ

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Have the electrician double check converter and battery voltage.
There is a chance the converter is putting out marginal power at 12.68 volts when it should be a solid 13.6 typically.
Is the battery voltage steady when all lights are on? When moving the slide? With the battery disconnected?
Otherwise yes it could be the meter.

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're still waiting on the electrician.

In the meanwhile I opened up the converter and, with the multimeter, checked the positive battery output whilst at the same time touching the ground. It shows 12.67 V as output.
Then I disconnected from shore power and rechecked the battery itself: 12.68 V.
How can the battery still be about the same as last night if the converter isn't charging it(at least a little)? This morning the battery showed 12.66, now 12.68... Even thoigh I assume the fridge has been drawing from the battery. Or maybe my cheap Radioshack multimeter isn't accurate?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you plugged into a standard 15/20 amp duplex recpical in an RV box or to a TT30 in an RV site power box. and you found it to be 230 volts instead of half that. ... Somebody owes you electronics.

There may be a "Hold harmless" as part of your site rental but.. Well, Those may or may not hold water.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
The low output from the DC portion of the generator will work but is slow. The battery should be plenty of filter for any concerns about Dirty voltage.

Many excellent suggestions. Using an extension cord to plug the microwave in directly will remove any doubts.

If you measure 110 volts going into the converter at this time then the voltage you are measuring at the batteries is far to low.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

MrWizard
Doubling the voltage halves the amperage Needed, for the same amount of watts
However doubling the the voltage applied to a 120v appliance doubles the amps thru the the device, because the "resistance" is fixed and was designed for 120v

Double amps usually burns/ruins the appliance

double volts*double amps equal 4 times the power in the circuit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
If your Phone charger survived it is because most newer phone chargers are now 120/240 volts, however anything else that was plugged into an AC circuit is probable shot and like others have said, you should check your television. even if it was off, they are never really totally off so it could be damaged.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
deleted
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.