cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabond roof seal tape

NyssaDimaris
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody have any experience with eternabond roof seal tape on a fiberglass roof? Is it worth using for seams? Should I use web seal or roof seal? & also any tips for applying it?
12 REPLIES 12

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
NyssaDimaris wrote:
I'm gonna remove all the old stuff, clean it up real nice, put a layer of 3m 5200, do the eternabond, then paint on a roof coating. You think that's too much?

I would never use 3M 5200 on anything you may every have to separate in the future. 3M 4000 is fine. But, 5200 is PERMANENT!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
I used Eternabond tape in 2002 on the front and back caps and never had a problem. Once it grips it seems to grips FOREVER!!!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Probably too much. I have both Webseal and Roof Seal Eternabond tapes on my roof. The Webseal conforms to bends easier but it needs to be painted because it has no top layer like Roof Seal.
The only caveat I would give is that you need the area to be covered scrupulously clean. No oil, dirt, films from previous caulks, etc. If you have never done any technical cleaning, I'd suggest to buy the Eternabond cleaner to use before applying the tape. There have only been a handful of failures posted on this Forum and nearly all of them involved applying the tape to a surface that was not cleaned correctly. I used lacquer thinner as a final solvent when I taped up my roof.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

NyssaDimaris
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!! I'm definitely gonna try it. If it works, great, if not, well at least I tried. I'm gonna remove all the old stuff, clean it up real nice, put a layer of 3m 5200, do the eternabond, then paint on a roof coating. You think that's too much?

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I installed Eternabond tape back in May 2011 and have not had any problems with deterioration or coming loose. I purchased 2" x 50' in White from
http://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15115 I also used Gray on the top of the crown on my roof. Used it around all vents, skylight, pipe vents, etc.
I would recommend it to anyone. Be sure you stick it down where you want it as it is almost impossible to take it up.
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

rvroofinstaller
Explorer
Explorer
Not eternabond but a 4" fiber backed seam tape that accepts a coating, use this in place of lap sealant, self leveling caulking, then coat the seam tape with 2 coats of coating, never get up on your rv roof to inspect your seams ever again...

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used it on my previous coach by replacing all the gunk on the front and rear caps. I also replace the stuff around the skylight. I had it on there for over five years and never had a problem with it or leaks.

Great stuff!

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a 4"x50' roll of Eternabond tape from Amazon for $56.00.

WyoTraveler gave you some great info. Pick a warm day to do the install. I find that marking a line where I want the edge of the new tape to hit keeps me from going off line. Once it's down, it's down.

I also purchased a heavy duty roller to really apply pressure to the tape after it's been applied. It has to be firmly pressed down to get it to seal properly.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the sunbelt, the sun rays eventually destroy much of what's on your RV roof.
Eternabond tape AND 3M 4200 and 3M 5200 caulk/sealant/adhesive,....all of these are paintable. Therefore, I will simply paint all of them with a coating that's designed specifically for combating the rays of the sun.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
don't believe there 15 year warranty, it's BS-mine started with the white topping evaporating after 5 years in the sun
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

NyssaDimaris
Explorer
Explorer
@WyoTraveler, how long has it been on your mh? Most people swear by this stuff, but I did read about a few people having problems with it coming up after a year. Also, you didn't use the eb primer before applying it? Thanks for the quick answer btw. ??

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Now called sticknbond. Made by same people. I cleaned area with mineral spirits. Allowed it to dry real well then applied the tape. Make sure you have it placed where you want it. That stuff sticks well. It comes in several different sizes. I used the 4" wide tape. It is pricey stuff but works well. I used that in conjuction with Dicor self leveling caulk. I had problems on front and rear cap of my MH. I do have a fiber glass roof.

It was the first time I used it and didn't have ant problems. The tape has a backing on it. I cut off a length of tape. Started at one side and slowly pulled the backing off as I applied the tape. I had to get the sticknbond tape on the internet. Many RV dealers only carry small patching kits. I needed several long lengths. I only used tye tape on real bad areas. On the not so bad areas I just used tye Dicor self leveling caulk. On the rounded areas near the edge of the roof I used Proflex caulk. I used same cleaning method for everything.