cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tricks to stop leaking pipe thread

chilly81
Explorer
Explorer
I put in a new anode this year on my HW heater and I used pipe dope. This is the first I'v used it, but I gobbed it on good. I typically used teflon tape, but I knew the threads were a bit rusted and thought dope would be better.

So it's weeping now. I did clean the threads as best I could with a wire brush on a dremel.

I wouldn't feel comfortable torquing it any further - although I can't say the actual torque. Are there any tips or tricks to make it stop... or does a very light weeping often stop on it's own after a couple days?

Does teflon tape actually work better and I was just dumb?

Any tips or advice welcomed!
Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

chilly81
Explorer
Explorer
Well that did the trick - drained the tank a pulled it back out. 5-6 wraps of tape then dope over that and it seems to be holding just fine now. I guess I'll go back to tape in general now, and use both when it looks sketchy.
Thanks for the tips.

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
Tape and dope. A decade dealing with bio diesel and methanol taught me that.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Experience tells me that teflon tape is my go to thread sealant. I've used it to seal some very nasty threaded connections.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
No need to buy a 3/4" TAP............just buy a 3/4" NPT Steel Nipple

Remove anode rod......then run nipple in until resistance then back out then in further/back out,,,in further until very snug.

Drain plug threads are steel and using the steel nipple will clean up the threads.
Remove nipple......turn on water supply and blow water out drain hole. Turn water off.
Wrap anode rod threads will several wraps of teflon tape.
Using a 6 point socket w/extension install rod and hand tighten.......then snug down tight .
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I only use teflon tape, I have never had much luck with pipe dope...
The pipe tape clean out idea would be good too, then teflon tape it several turns and put it back in, leak should be gone
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Tighten it more, it will be fine.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Teflon tape and Rector seal #9 has stopped fitting drips for me.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Kbf213
Explorer
Explorer
Pipe dope is best for metal to metal connections, when things get corroded I use both teflon tape then a little of the messy stuff and usually get good results
1996 Sunnybrook 30fbs 06 F150

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Just from personal experience...

The only pipe glop I ever had guaranteed success with was stuff that was absolutely loaded with lead. A can of Never Seize that would weigh 2 lbs weighed four. Stuff is illegal now. Used to use it on steel LPG piping fittings.

No question, four of five wraps of Teflon tape will seal corroded down threads (loose fit) better. Gotta watch torque as the Teflon puts a tricky twist on how tight the fitting feels. Twist the fitting down to comfortable tightness then pressure up the system. No seepage I'd leave it.

jrnymn7
Explorer
Explorer
If it's a very slow leak.. like the odd small drip, the minerals in the water may help seal it. I'd let it be for a few days, if that's the case, then maybe try tweaking it a little.

And perhaps try heating and cooling the water a few times, and see what happens. Obviously, tank pressure will increase when hot, and expansion and contraction may occur during heating and cooling, so these things could cause it to leak.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Take it out and thread it back in but don't cross thread it.

Charles2222
Explorer
Explorer
Try just letting it sit a couple of days without any pressure.May just may rust and swell.Have seen it work.Not something to count on.Cost is cheap.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
I'd get a 3/4 inch pipe tap and clean up the threads (gently). Unless you have some serious wire brushes on your dremmel, I doubt you hurt anything.

I use teflon tape, but that's just an ease of use and longevity of tape verses dope.

Doug

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to some place like Harbor Freight and buy a 3/4 pipe tap. Use that to clean the threads. It is quite possible though that you have already damaged the threads using your Dremmel.