cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EU2000 carburetor cleaning

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
My EU2000 does not have that many hours on it but is starting to run a little rough and it appears to be a fuel issue. I'm assuming some old gas may have been used, so I feel the next step is to remove, inspect, and clean the carburetor.

There are lots of good UTube videos and I feel if followed correctly there should be no problem. My question is what parts should be replaced when cleaning? One of the videos mentions a float repair kit but I can't find any info on the kit or which parts are involved.
16 REPLIES 16

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
fdhealy4 wrote:
Ethanol Free Gas Stations. Try one of these for future operations.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/index.html

Only works in some states. Not every state has e free gasoline.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all suggestions. After being ready to remove carb and clean, I tried the SeaFoam in a higher concentration than I normally use. Mixed up about 1/2 tank of gas and let generator run for about 30 minutes for 4 days in a row.

Results: running great now, even in the Eco-mode.

DC8Captain
Explorer
Explorer
Ethanol Free Gas Stations. Try one of these for future operations.

http://www.buyrealgas.com/index.html
Deb & Dale
2016 JayFlight 27BHS
2009 Silverado 2500 HD Crewcab
Colorado

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
oldmattb wrote:
I don't know the specific answer to your question. One of mine ran rough - I put some Sea Foam in the tank. After maybe ten minutes, the rough running cleared up and it runs fine now.

Matt B

Exactly. Dump the old gas out (as much as possible) add fresh gas and a few ounces of Sea Foam and let it run for a while.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

BBFD
Explorer
Explorer
Both of mine ran rough as I forgot to add stabilizer for the winter. I had to buy an o-ring kit I believe the carb cleaner I used damaged one of the bowl gaskets and the drain o-ring on the other carb. In other words, might want to be careful getting carb cleaner on rubber items......
2013 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Laramie CTD
2017 KZ Durango 292BHT

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
road-runner wrote:
I saw about a dozen portable generators, and with one exception, they were all eu2000i. The one exception was an eu3000i. No Champions, no Yamahas, no Kipors, no nothing else.
I'm envious. I'm in a CG now where everyone has a construction generator. And dogs that never shut up.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
road-runner wrote:
dryfly wrote:
I find the knowledge base for these generators amazing.
I recently found the popularity amazing. We recently camped at a few Forest Service campgrounds with no hookups but spaces large enough for big trailers. I saw about a dozen portable generators, and with one exception, they were all eu2000i. The one exception was an eu3000i. No Champions, no Yamahas, no Kipors, no nothing else.

Yeah.......I see the same thing. It does appear the Honda is much more sensitive to poor gas and requires more care and feeding though.

I'm starting to wonder if a propane conversion might be the best solution??? anyone recently done this???

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
dryfly wrote:
I find the knowledge base for these generators amazing.
I recently found the popularity amazing. We recently camped at a few Forest Service campgrounds with no hookups but spaces large enough for big trailers. I saw about a dozen portable generators, and with one exception, they were all eu2000i. The one exception was an eu3000i. No Champions, no Yamahas, no Kipors, no nothing else.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
There's an excellent 'sticky post' at the top of this forum, but, the OP's pictures have been disabled by Photobucket. I've PMed him to see what can be done.

By the way, that is a good thread and too bad pics are not available. However there are lots of good videos and article on the web. I find the knowledge base for these generators amazing.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good suggestions. I have run some Sea Foam through it on this last tank but maybe I did not put enough in. I will try a larger dose and use premium gas and repeat running a couple of times.

Another question I had was answered in one of the above posts. I know the float is plastic and I was wondering about spraying it with carburetor cleaner.

In one of the videos I watched the Honda technician sprayed the plastic part but I would feel very uncomfortable doing this. I have the idea the float can be cleaned by using an appropriate solvent, not typical carburetor cleaner.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
You won't need parts unless you lose or damage them when taking it apart.

Try a good carb cleaner first. Lots of people like Sea Foam. I don't, just a personal preference. Techron is the best there is for this issue. Dump all fuel out, put in some top tier detergent gas (like CostCo), and some Techron, and run it for 15-30 minutes. Shut off and repeat the next day. You may have to do this several times.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
I've cleaned the carburetor on my eu2000i many times in the last 10 or so years, and never had to replace a single part. I would just take it apart, clean the jets and orifices and put it back together. Floats typically don't wear out. Just set it aside where the carburetor spray can't get on it and reinstall the original. I never spray the plastic float as years ago I destroyed a float on a small engine that way. You need to pay careful attention to how the main jet comes out of the center. there is nothing to prevent you from installing it backwards, you just have to be careful.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
put a couple of ounces of sea foam in it and run it for 30 minutes with eco off or so, then let it set overnight and repeat.

If that works, your home free. If not it may need the carb taken out and the pilot jet replaced. I say replace since at least on many if not all, the pilot jet is plastic with an extremely small orifice. to small to reliably clean without reaming the hole out.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

benie
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be a common problem with this model of Honda generator. I'm having the same problem with mine. Sea foam has helped but not fixed entirely. Still surges at times when on ecco throttle.
2012 Dodge Ram 3500Crew Cab 4x42004 2012 Heartland Bighorn 3670 RL