cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Everything in the RV works except outlets.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
before we left for vacation for a week everything on the RV was working just fine. When we got back everything off work except outlets. When you plug something into the outlet it won't turn on but the indicator light on our heater turns on to show some kind of power. We tried every outlet and tried charging a cell phone. The cell phone would not charge but still indicated some kind of power. I flipped every breaker that was possible. The GFI breaker was also flipped and I also pressed the reset and test button on the outlet. None of the fuses are blown either.
RV is 50 amp 314 fwrls copper Canyon fifth wheel.
24 REPLIES 24

jiveturkey69200
Explorer
Explorer
Definatley need to use your meter and make sure you have the full 120 volts AC at your outlets. Sounds like you dont. Might be the power coming from your house or whatever your hooked to.
Dan:B
96 Fleetwood Mallard, 30'
05 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 6.0 Powerstroke, CC, Lariat 8ft Bed "Redneck Cadillac"
82 Dodge Ram W350 4X4 Clubcab. 216,000 miles

westend
Explorer
Explorer
What does your meter measure for voltage from the microwave's receptacle?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
Actually about the lamp, it turns on, but doesn't get near as bright as it is supposed to. Like there is power enough to turn stuff on, just not make it work.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I'm running into all kinds of problems. The microwave won't work fully now. It shows the timer and starts as if it was cooking, but the light inside doesn't work and it doesn't start. However, when I go outside and hook the surge protector back up the microwave works perfectly, but the outlets stop working. The microwave does work on other outlets though, just not it's own. We also plugged a lamp into the microwave outlet and it worked just fine; that's with the surge protector not hooked up.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
I figured it out! My surge protector is bad. It still shows the lights that the outlet is good, but doesn't give all the power apparently. I just removed the protector and hooked the RV up without it and it worked perfectly. Guess I'm getting a new surge lol. Thanks for the info everyone. Definitely learned a lot and got a volt meter that I needed and an extra receptacle if I ever need one.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
charlysmom&dad wrote:
In our mh, some outlets run through the invertor. Even though the inverter is not on, if the inverter circuit breaker trips, we lose power to some outlets.
Just one more thing to try before you call a tech. The inverter circuit breaker.

I have no clue as to where to find the inverter circuit breaker. I was only able to find one inside, which was the main one. I checked outside as well and nothing.

I've unplugged everything that was in any of the outlets and then reset them and nothing. I plugged in a lamp in the GFI outlet and turned the breaker off then back on and the lamp came on as if it was a very cheap night light, still some power, but not full. Then I turned the switch off on the lamp and back on and it wouldn't come on at all.

Where are the inverter or converters normally located? I thoroughly searched everything and really only found one breaker.

newman_fulltime
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is your converter a deck mount if so see if it is bad it plugs into the gfi curcuit

charlysmom_dad
Explorer
Explorer
In our mh, some outlets run through the invertor. Even though the inverter is not on, if the inverter circuit breaker trips, we lose power to some outlets.
Just one more thing to try before you call a tech. The inverter circuit breaker.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you have a genuine mystery on your hands. My ex wife had a similar problem in her S&B recently. GFI outlet in garage kept popping. I thought it was because of all the Xmas decorations she had running off a garage outlet. Turns out it was something plugged in on the back patio.

My point is that not all outlets on the same circuit are grouped together. They may not all be GFI outlets either. You have some 110v running through the 5er since you have microwave (probably a dedicated circuit) and fireplace (possibly a dedicated circuit). If it was me, I would find every outlet in the rig and make sure nothing was plugged in before resetting the breaker. This would include exterior and basement outlets. I even have a couple outlets on the sides of the bed that I can't even see without getting down on all fours. Good luck.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
If the microwave is on an invertor like you said then the electric fireplace must be too because it works fine.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
fleetwooddan wrote:
Unplug your 50 amp plug and plug it back in , sounds like a possible transfer switch sticking , or poor contact at the switch or poor contact at the plug?

I wish it would've been that easy. One of the first things I did try. Because I didn't think I was getting any power at all. Figured the campground lost power or something, but everyone else's is fine.

fleetwooddan
Explorer
Explorer
Unplug your 50 amp plug and plug it back in , sounds like a possible transfer switch sticking , or poor contact at the switch or poor contact at the plug?

fleetwooddan
Explorer
Explorer
Unplug your 50 amp plug and plug it back in , sounds like a possible transfer switch sticking , or poor contact at the switch.

acemyers
Explorer
Explorer
ac bill wrote:
There is 120 volt testers you can get, the simplest one being just a light. The better ones will show if the polarity is correct, and if it is properly grounded.

You mention your microwave still works, but could it be powered via an invertor? The invertor may switch on automatically when the 120 v is not on.

I did get the volt testers. But they won't come on if there isn't any power right? I don't even know what setting to put the meter on to test it.

I have no clue about the invertor.