cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ew, that smell...

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our TT for 4 seasons now, we mostly use it for long weekend getaway and an occasional trip to far away places. We love it! Except for one issue we discovered on our first week long trip. We were introduced to a horrible black tank smell. I flushed the tank, added chemicals, etc... it helped, but anytime we take a trip longer than a few days it comes back. Before our season starts this year I decided to figure out what was causing it and fix it. My first task, check the roof vent. I figured while I was up there I would go ahead and put a new vent cap on, one that is supposed to allow better venting. When I pulled the existing vent cap off I immediately found the problem. The vent pipe didn't come through the cap, it was off to one side, over half the vent pipe was blocked by the cap mounting structure. I was also able to see into the camper ceiling area via a rather large hole next to where the pipe came through. I pulled the entire cap, sealed the hole around the vent pipe, installed the new cap and sealed everything up good. This season should be free of the odor!
2014 Ram 2500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Radiance 31DSBH
18 REPLIES 18

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
Wanted to post an update to this fix. We just returned from our first longer trip and I have to say this was a successful fix. We had ZERO odors from gray or black tanks. I can't say for certain that it was just the new vents that were the fix, as we also had some holes in the roof that were plugged when I installed the new vents. Regardless, we are super happy with the results. This and our new memory foam mattress make us very happy campers!
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
So went ahead and did the gray tank vent this weekend. Found the same issue, not as bad, as I had with the black tank vent, I snapped a few pics this time to show you what I was dealing with. The picture in the link below doesn't really show the bigger issue, which is I could see inside the camper from the roof once I took the cap off, it was the same with the black tank vent. Also, I know I need to clean up the roof, it's on my list of to dos before the season.

This camping season should be a much better experience for our noses :)!

Gray Vent
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Quality build, yup.

First time I used the shower in our brand new TT, I got water on the bathroom floor. Turns out the guy who installed the trap under the shower floor didn't bother to tighten the rings that seal the pipe. Took me 5 minutes to fix (including the time to remove the access door). But he saved probably 30 seconds on the initial job.

We had the same issue with our Jayco. Every single threaded ABS pipe connection was loose and got water where it shouldn't have been. Fortunately it wasn't a lot of water.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
CAJW wrote:
Don't discount your gray tank as the possible culprit for odors. We religiously flushed/ treated our black tank, but after about 3 years on our new rig, we started smelling the "ew!". We now treat both tanks with the Dawn/Calgon mixture and installed these new vent caps, which has solved the issue.

360 vent

Oh, and Skynyrd is the best! Saw them in 1977 sandwiched in between Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart ( with the Tower of Power brass section), awesome show. Skynyrd playing Freebird for 30 minutes stole the show! And yes, my ears are still ringing......

That is my next project on the roof (grey vent). The vent cap you linked to is the exact one I installed.
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

losingit
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
A picture would've been nice.

The way it is, it can be understood as the pipe was venting to the inside because it was not centered in the vent flange? Then it was also set too low, because the pipe should go through the roof flange - not through the "cap", and centering it in the hole would still leave it venting into the roof interior space.

The list of things to fix in my trailer was a mile long, and some still remain to be fixed. Some things were so darn stupid by design that were impossible to fix, unfortunately.

Ya, I really should have taken a picture of it, your description is spot on though. I didn't have my phone or a camera with me and I hate climbing up and down the ladder. When I do my grey water vent I will be better prepared to document the findings.
2014 Radiance 31DSBH

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
CAJW wrote:
Oh, and Skynyrd is the best! Saw them in 1977 sandwiched in between Black Sabbath and Rod Stewart ( with the Tower of Power brass section), awesome show. Skynyrd playing Freebird for 30 minutes stole the show! And yes, my ears are still ringing......

Then you saw the full, real band, before the ill-fated airplane crash.
Lucky guy!

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Don't discount your gray tank as the possible culprit for odors. We religiously flushed/ treated our black tank, but after about 3 years on our new rig, we started smelling the "ew!". We now treat both tanks with the Dawn/Calgon mixture and installed these new vent caps, which has solved the issue.

360 vent

2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
A picture would've been nice.

The way it is, it can be understood as the pipe was venting to the inside because it was not centered in the vent flange? Then it was also set too low, because the pipe should go through the roof flange - not through the "cap", and centering it in the hole would still leave it venting into the roof interior space.

The list of things to fix in my trailer was a mile long, and some still remain to be fixed. Some things were so darn stupid by design that were impossible to fix, unfortunately.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to see an RV owner solving his problem and THEN coming here to tell us about it.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Quality build, yup.

First time I used the shower in our brand new TT, I got water on the bathroom floor. Turns out the guy who installed the trap under the shower floor didn't bother to tighten the rings that seal the pipe. Took me 5 minutes to fix (including the time to remove the access door). But he saved probably 30 seconds on the initial job.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
GREAT...
Now I have to play It's a Small World to flush Lynyrd out of my head...
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

grizzzman
Explorer
Explorer
Horsedoc wrote:
Great work.
When I first read the topic line I thought it was Lynyrd Skynyrd's song by Ronnie Van Zant
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=song+that+smell+artist+lynyrd+skynyrd

๐Ÿ˜‰

Oh just great....... it"s stuck in my head now!
2019 Ford F150 EcoBoost SuperCrew
2016 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S. TM2030 SC2030
640 Watts Solar. Costco CG2 208 AH and Lifepo4 3P4S 150 AH Hybrid. ElectroDacus. Renolagy DC to DC charger. 2000 Watt Inverter.
Boondocking is my Deal

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YEP..........

Another high quality factory build using skilled labor and paying 'piece work'

"GUYS, listen up
We have 6 units scheduled for today. You can go home as soon as they are out the door so let's see if we can get done by 11AM. OK! GO, GO, GO!"
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
losingit wrote:
Horsedoc wrote:
Great work.
When I first read the topic line I thought it was Lynyrd Skynyrd's song by Ronnie Van Zant
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=song+that+smell+artist+lynyrd+skynyrd

๐Ÿ˜‰

LOL, you caught my play on words! Love me some Skynyrd!

EXACTLY the first thing I thought of too!