cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Factory-fix to reinforce Norcold refrigerator door hinge

gatorjeff
Explorer
Explorer
I experienced a broken door hinge on my Norcold 611 2-door refrigerator/freezer; fortunately, they replaced whole door under warranty, no one got hurt, and we were only slightly inconvenienced.
I've seen many posts that this is a too-common occurrence, and some DIY fixes.
Thought it might be helpful to post that Norcold now offers a set of steel reinforcements that simply slide onto the lower edge of the door (you have to remove the door first, but that's easy). Norcold will discuss and advise, but won't sell direct, so you either need to find a local dealer (up to $45) or buy on Amazon for ~$27 (which I did). It came quickly, seems well made, and although it's tempting to try a DIY fix and save most of that money, for this price I figured I'd give the factory fix a try. Will report after our upcoming 6-mo roadtrip how it did. I have a pdf of the instruction sheet including images of the hinge repair but don't see how to import into this post.
6 REPLIES 6

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
Factory-fix to reinforce Norcold refrigerator door hinge
2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter

ronfisherman
gatorjeff wrote:
reply re Amazon listing: yes, that looks like the listing. Also, that's the part # I ordered; I believe it got edited out of my initial posting. The install sheet does indicate N6/N8 so that would seem to confirm it'll fix your unit too. Comment made re keeping heavy items off of door is certainly correct too; we figured that out after the failure, and will continue to avoid weighting down the door even after this fix.

Another item that creates a lot of weight is wood inserts that are put on front of the door to match interior of RV.
The door failures were a big thing on the Kodiak Chassis forum back in 2010/11. I have not heard of any failures since the brackets were installed.
The part # listed above is the same one in that forum. The "KIT" part number is 634166.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

gatorjeff
Explorer
Explorer
reply re Amazon listing: yes, that looks like the listing. Also, that's the part # I ordered; I believe it got edited out of my initial posting. The install sheet does indicate N6/N8 so that would seem to confirm it'll fix your unit too. Comment made re keeping heavy items off of door is certainly correct too; we figured that out after the failure, and will continue to avoid weighting down the door even after this fix.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing that helps to preserve the hinge is to remove all the weight from the stored items in the door shelves before getting underway. That's a lot of weight that exerts downward force on the hinges, especially when going over severe bumps.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is that kit listed on Amazon like this:

"Norcold 634166 Door Hinge Retrofit Kit" ?

We have a 2002 N811 and maybe ought to be looking into doing this upgrade.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

96Bounder30E
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from general RVing
Eric
96 Bounder 30E-F53(460)
stock Ford intake w/K&N air filter
used Thorley headers
new Banks resonator, muffler, tail pipe and 4" polished SS exhaust tip