cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Folding/portable solar kits140-200W?

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Suggestions on where to look for the above portable systems.

My pc crashed and I lost all solar info.

Zamp is expensive. Solar Blvd doesn't advertise them. Eco-Worthy is not local for support.....?

Can't climb on roof anymore so we decided to go portable.

Fiver has all LED lights and 2 6v batteries. When boondocking we use only a string of solar lights in cabin. Refrig/hot water/stove have gas available. We are extremely conservative on useage. Laptops and cells would use most of the electricity.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

dt
17 REPLIES 17

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almot wrote:

Most suitcases are 100-120W for a good reason. 27 lbs is already heavy, and a suitcase of 2*70 or 2*100 will be both heavy and bulky.

For what you are planning - permanent controller in pass through - buying 2 separate 100W panels and other components as suggested by Westend makes more sense than 2 100W suitcases and separate controller. Much lower cost. Cheaper than Eco200 kit, too. I would keep 2*100W detach-able, joined with pins or something (think sailboat rudder pintles). Makes it easier to carry separately.

I don't see what is so special about Kickass kits, other than - hopefully - better mechanical quality of panels and hinges than Chinese parts from Solar Blvd, Eco etc. Run of the mill panel is strong enough as it is. Controller in Kickass is same basic/featureless unit as others mentioned here, except for being weather-proof. You don't need it to be weather-proof for mounting it in pass-through.

300W Kickass that you've been eying, weighs 50 lbs and has about 3x3 ft folded size - I wouldn't want to lift and carry something like this. There is no free lunch in solar, more watts = bigger and heavier panels. That's why most people mount panels permanently on the roof ๐Ÿ™‚

Good points. Thanks.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
dewey02 wrote:
Unfortunately, most of the suitcases are around 100-120 watts. There are a few that have more watts, but the price really climbs. I've been thinking about 2 100watt Renogy suitcases (without a controller) and then buying the controller separately so I can mount it in the pass-through closer to the batteries. Still, that will end up getting up there in price and probably more expensive than the Ecoworthy 200Watt.

Most suitcases are 100-120W for a good reason. 27 lbs is already heavy, and a suitcase of 2*70 or 2*100 will be both heavy and bulky.

For what you are planning - permanent controller in pass through - buying 2 separate 100W panels and other components as suggested by Westend makes more sense than 2 100W suitcases and separate controller. Much lower cost. Cheaper than Eco200 kit, too. I would keep 2*100W detach-able, joined with pins or something (think sailboat rudder pintles). Makes it easier to carry separately.

I don't see what is so special about Kickass kits, other than - hopefully - better mechanical quality of panels and hinges than Chinese parts from Solar Blvd, Eco etc. Run of the mill panel is strong enough as it is. Controller in Kickass is same basic/featureless unit as others mentioned here, except for being weather-proof. You don't need it to be weather-proof for mounting it in pass-through.

300W Kickass that you've been eying, weighs 50 lbs and has about 3x3 ft folded size - I wouldn't want to lift and carry something like this. There is no free lunch in solar, more watts = bigger and heavier panels. That's why most people mount panels permanently on the roof ๐Ÿ™‚

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I am outside all day and have shade all night. If I need air it is needed 24/7 and I am plugged in.

OP said portable because he no longer gets on the roof.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
I will just pay for roof install when I can no longer climb up.

Works fine if you park in the sun. But then you need an air conditioner and that uses what you gain from your solar. If you camp in the woods that sunny spot moves all day, gotta be able to follow it, or at least you don't have to park in it.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I will just pay for roof install when I can no longer climb up.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't take photos while I made them. but next time we camp I'll try to shoot a couple of the suitcase. This is the second set I built. The first used Renogy flexible panels. My buddy in Alaska is using the first ones.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
tonymull wrote:
I just built a 200w suitcase with the eco-worthy flexible panels. Got the aluminum stock from HD. Made retangular frames with 1" square at top and bottom and 1" L for the sides. Cut to length and the two fit together nicely with self tapping screws. Then I screwed the panels on with same screws (the panels have an aluminum backing). Hook the two framed panels together with a piano hinge, attach a short leg so they can be tilted as needed (doesn't need be long since they lay pretty flat anyway) with a wing nut for adjustment. Easy, took me about 2 hours. 200w, 47 X 22 when closed, and weighs about 15 pounds. Cost me about $450 with controller (PMW) and wiring, and a 20' extension. Actually used some old suitcase handles. The panels come with some pretty sturdy foam padding, these I keep in place with some bungie cord to protect the panels. There is no glass to break and even a pretty deep scratch will not impede them working.

If you've got some photos, I'd appreciate seeing them. Thanks.

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
I just built a 200w suitcase with the eco-worthy flexible panels. Got the aluminum stock from HD. Made retangular frames with 1" square at top and bottom and 1" L for the sides. Cut to length and the two fit together nicely with self tapping screws. Then I screwed the panels on with same screws (the panels have an aluminum backing). Hook the two framed panels together with a piano hinge, attach a short leg so they can be tilted as needed (doesn't need be long since they lay pretty flat anyway) with a wing nut for adjustment. Easy, took me about 2 hours. 200w, 47 X 22 when closed, and weighs about 15 pounds. Cost me about $450 with controller (PMW) and wiring, and a 20' extension. Actually used some old suitcase handles. The panels come with some pretty sturdy foam padding, these I keep in place with some bungie cord to protect the panels. There is no glass to break and even a pretty deep scratch will not impede them working.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of the responses here are ignoring the OP's question.
He clearly states he is looking for 140 to 200W portable systems.
I don't think that means a 100 or 120W system.
The reference to build your own is at least addressing the wattage request.

Unfortunately, most of the suitcases are around 100-120 watts. There are a few that have more watts, but the price really climbs. I've been thinking about 2 100watt Renogy suitcases (without a controller) and then buying the controller separately so I can mount it in the pass-through closer to the batteries. Still, that will end up getting up there in price and probably more expensive than the Ecoworthy 200Watt.

What I REALLY want is a Kick-ass (Yes folks that is a legitimate company) 300 watt suitcase. Unfortunately it is made and sold on the other side of the earth, is pricey, and they don't ship to America. And even if they did, I'd never be able to afford the shipping cost. Still, it is fun to dream.
Kickass video here

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Two of these 100W modules

Two of these Butt hinges

One 50' length MC4 cable

One charge controller:Renogy 30 amp

About $265 for this setup with enough controller to expand in the future. Good luck.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Solar Blvd sells 12V "kits" that you can use as portable, but I don't think much of them. Cheaper than "solar suitcase" from Renogy but panels are same mono and controller is same bottom of the barrel.

It boils down to how much quality you want vs cost and your DIY skills.
Medium cost, low-watt panel, low-end controller, no labor - get Renogy suitcase.
Same or higher cost, higher watts, low-end controller, plus DIY work to make legs and/or hinges if you use 2 smaller panels rather than single bigger one - get those kits.
Unknown cost, better performance, DIY work - get poly panel, decent PWM controller and wires.

Eco "suitcase" in poly version sounds unreasonably expensive.

Oh yeah, and get a USB stick and simple program like Second Copy, to backup your files on laptop - at least the folder named "Solar" ๐Ÿ™‚

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
give solar blvd a call. they did sell them and they were popular and reasonably priced.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Make your own portables using 3/4 inch pvc.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Eco-Worthy has a 200Watt suitcase for:

1. Poly: $356
2. Mono: $519.84