cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fresh water tank

cleojayco
Explorer
Explorer
trying to fill my fresh water holding tank and I can only get 1/2 full before it starts to come out the vent hole any suggestions
9 REPLIES 9

cleojayco
Explorer
Explorer
thanks to all opened the cold water and slowed the flow rate way way down but got it filled thanks leo

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure how you verified it's 1/2 full. It's possible your tank is actually full. I've seen incorrect data on a brochure or the wrong tank installed at the factory on more than one occasion. Just something to consider.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sometimes it helps to use a piece of tubing to blow out the vent line. You can just hold it against the vent, and blow into the other end. It doesn't take much to clear the vent line, but can make a big difference to help water flow into the tank.

Jerry

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
check your vent tube. Turn down the flow rate.

Yes. Filling it slowly may help. It did for us.

Vulcan_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

With mine, the "vent tube" is a tiny little thing right next to the fill hole.

In the 4 months I've had it, going by the monitor lights, I've never had it full.....but I have found that I need to reduce the flow rate a LOT after it gets to half full or so and let it "breathe" out the fill hole as the water goes in.

I got a foot long hose extension with a shut off from CW and it seems to help a LOT. Not sure how you would do it without that.

P.S. Opening a water faucet is not going to vent much air; just water via the pump.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
cleojayco wrote:
trying to fill my fresh water holding tank and I can only get 1/2 full before it starts to come out the vent hole any suggestions

first

How do you know it is only 1/2 full before it starts to vent?

Some possible causes. you'll need to get access to the tank and hoses to check them out.

1) vent hose has a kink, well actually drops down and forms a p trap. then air won't vent, p trap fills with water and water comes out. A lot more common build problemthat you might expect.

2) same thing with the fill tube, it drops down below the tank inlet and makes a p trap and messes with filling

3) Gilligan did the install and put the hole for the vent on the side of the tank instead of the top of tank, so you can't fill it all the way. Again, more common than you might think.

4) likewise on the fill, Gilligan put the fill inlet below the top of the tank, makes it a real PITA to fill completely.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
KID2TEXAS wrote:
Also turn on cold water in sink to let air flow out
Further clarification needed.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

KID2TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
Also turn on cold water in sink to let air flow out as you fill or slow down the input like stated above.
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty, Amarillo Special Edition 4 X 4 & 6.0 PSD,
2015 Columbus 320 RS
Me, a Wife and two crazy kids that are to cool to go anymore :B
Golf cart that matches the Amarillo truck.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman