cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fridge, new house fridge vs rebuild old rv fridge

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
our 15 yr old dometic is working reasonably well, but thinking ahead!!
rebuild it or replace it with an inexpensive house fridge which of course is 120 vac only. rv fridge is in great shape cosmetically
we very rarely dry camp, maybe 1 night at a walmart once in a while
running a 120 volt fridge off an inverter is probably not an option, we only have one "normal sized" rv battery and really don't want to expand on that
so really two issues, running the fridge on the road and when dry camping.
thoughts/opinions?
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260
20 REPLIES 20

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Fridge should keep fine without power parked overnight for a few hours, just keep the door closed. Keep a frozen water bottle in the freezer that you can move to the fridge before shutting down.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airdaile wrote:
Be sure to consider the new 120VAC/12VDC veriable speed compressor RV refrigerators. They draw around 8 amps DC.

This. My Norcold 1200 failed and I replaced with an Amish built as the compressor type wasnโ€™t available yet.

Definitely the way Iโ€™d go.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Get one of these next time they are on sale. Try it out at home with your stick house fridge to be sure it will handle the surges--it has enough watts to run it. (I have run 120v fridges on MSW inverter--you do not need PSW for that) This has 700w plus surge. Reports on this forum say that you need at least a 600w inverter with a res fridge in an RV.

If it does not do it, they accept returns, so worth a try IMO.

Then carry it with you when you RV all the time anyway. Could be very handy for other things that happen!

You could run the fridge with it going down the road and recharge it on shore power when you get there each day. At Walmart overnight, I don't know how long this would go. You can clamp it to your house battery to get extra time. Going down the road following that night until you get 120 again would need some help from alternator/7-pin 12v.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-powerbox-2000-0112028p.html#srp
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure to consider the new 120VAC/12VDC veriable speed compressor RV refrigerators. They draw around 8 amps DC.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to be proactive spend 5-6 hundred dollars on an Amish cooling unit and put it in now.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
it ain,t broke ,I,d leave it alone.