cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fridge question

laudy
Explorer
Explorer
as previously posted with help from this forum i have my fridge working once again on propane. (cleaned the burner). I do have a question on my flame however. I have never noticed if this is normal so here is my question. i guess I always thought that the flame stayed on all the time. But What I noticed is that I was sitting in the camper and could actually hear the flame operating (now that I cleaned the burner) and heard it go out (several hours later). Didnt think anything of it. Got something out of the freezer and the fridge. A period of time went by and the flame came back on again. I'm wondering if it is normal for the flame to cycle based on temperature/thermostat setting. Kinda makes since to me that it would cycle on demand vs running all the time because if it is running all the time how could you regulate the temp.Never noticed this before, sound normal to you. Your input is always appreciated.
laudy
4 REPLIES 4

BluegrassBill
Explorer
Explorer
Flame should be blue with a slight yellow tinge. The burner does fill-up with soot from the vent stack, Need to check regularly.
Bill & Kathy Francis
95 Itasca Sunrise 29RQ,P32 454 Chevy, Banks,ECM chip.Safe-T-Plus, Bilsteins, Super Steer Bell Crank, Stewart Stage 1 Waterpump, Severe Duty Fan Clutch, OilGuard Bypass Filter, Coolant Filter. Rear Tracbar. 1-5/8" Front Swaybar.

laudy
Explorer
Explorer
Once again thanks to all for the comforting replies. Sounds like i fixed it (with rv.net members help) and all is well!!!!!!!!!!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
YES.......normal

Flame (or electric element) operation is controlled by thermostat. Heat is used to turn ammonia in vapor -----ammonia vapor gets condensed back into liquid-----ammonia liquid gets 'flashed' back into vapor when it mixes with the hydrogen gas.....that ammonia vapor absorbs heat from freezer/food sections cooling them down. The ammonia vapor turns back into a liquid and collects at bottom of fridge.

Heat (flame or electric) is then needed to repeat the cycle.

So flame/element turn on/off as required based on thermistor sensing of temps in food section. Thermistor sensing is then used by thermostat to control propane or electric element function.

Same concept with your RV Oven, Water Heater and Furnace----thermostat controls when/how long flame operates.
Actually.....include the A/C Unit. Thermostat controls it's cooling function just no propane used.

Caveat:
OLDER absorption fridges prior to electronic controls etc.
Flame was ON all the time.........manual setting of thermostat 'position' (MIN to MAX) controlled size of flame. More cooling need ---turn up thermostat and flame got bigger. Less cooling needed----turn down thermostat and flame got smaller.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the flame will cycle on and off. As long as the check light is not on, all is well.
-- Chris Bryant