Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

frustration thread 13,500 duo therm ac, giving up

rockwind1
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV-_7ym8jjA

so here is a guy who starts up my exact ac unit with a cheapo hyndai with no problem,,, and my Honda eu2000i wont' even get it to turn over, it just hums, I am stumped, have read all posts on hard start and other stuff,

I would think my Honda would at least lug down and start it, but it's not even close

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY

12 REPLIES 12

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, the math is apparently wrong & the poster is apparently wrong about not being able to run his AC on 2kw.???
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
BTW did you turn off all breakers except the main and the air conditioner?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
rockwind1 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV-_7ym8jjA

so here is a guy who starts up my exact ac unit with a cheapo hyndai with no problem,,, and my Honda eu2000i wont' even get it to turn over, it just hums, I am stumped, have read all posts on hard start and other stuff,

I would think my Honda would at least lug down and start it, but it's not even close

You have read about hard start caps, but have you tried one? Also, have you disabled all the other loads? Converter, refer, water heater, etc. Even if those measures worked, it sounds like your generator would still be struggling...
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

shooted
Explorer
Explorer
Hi jolooote,
Your formula is not applicable to this conversation. The formula you reference is for purely resistive circuits.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know why your so angry. You can argue with me, but math doesn't LIE!
P = I x E. Perhaps the currents are a bit lower. Perhaps your not running on 125VAC... perhaps, because your little genny is so Overloaded its only putting out 105 Vac in which case your AC compressor won't last long...perhaps...
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
2KW is simply NOT going to start a 13500 AC! U'r AC requires about 22 amps to start and runs at about 12 amps. Very simply...Power(in Watts) equals Current(in Amps) times Volts....ie; 22 amps X 125 Volts = 2750 watts needed to start the AC. Your Honda eu2000 is probably rated at 2000 watts SURGE(MAX) and only about 1700 watts run.

Please stop posting absolute crap!
I have a 13500 Dometic duo therm and it stars just fine with my EU2000i , even on Eco mode.......this is 90 degrees and 1500 ft.

You may say that some wont start it depending on age, temp, altitude, etc......but don't say "2KW is simply NOT going to start a 13500 AC! " because that is not true.

Depends if you have a start cap or not and your altitude/temp.

I can make a vid for you.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
2KW is simply NOT going to start a 13500 AC! U'r AC requires about 22 amps to start and runs at about 12 amps. Very simply...Power(in Watts) equals Current(in Amps) times Volts....ie; 22 amps X 125 Volts = 2750 watts needed to start the AC. Your Honda eu2000 is probably rated at 2000 watts SURGE(MAX) and only about 1700 watts run.
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try what Chris suggested and get back with us. Not much point in going on if your Honda can't carry its rated load. If it IS working as advertised, then we can look into the A/C. Maybe the one on youtube had a start assist kit and yours doesn't. We can help with that too.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried the Honda with a pure resistive load- like a 1500 watt heater plus a couple hundred watts of lights?
-- Chris Bryant

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
What elevation at you at. You lose power for every 1000 ft you are above sea level.

In any event running your generator to the brink running a AC isn't going to increase the chances it will have a long life.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I believe your Dometic air calls for 4000 watts of generator.
Have you even looked to see if your A/C has a start capacitor?
Otherwise a second Honda in parallel is recommended.

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, but note his comment later: "Yes. Make sure you see the links in the video (may not show up on mobile devices.) The coils fell off at around 30 hours, and the generator shorted itself out. See my channel for the teardown video. I craigslist curb-alerted it and gave it away!?"

Later video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_595283&feature=iv&src_vid=LV-_7ym8jjA&v=kLeaKjeC5pc
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road