cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace Noise

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have any fool proof way to limit the noise I get from my furnace? Our friends furnace runs in their 5th wheel and is very quiet; ours sounds like a blast furnace. It's located under the stairs but not buried too far toward the front

Any suggestions appreciated.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually
11 REPLIES 11

MrWizard
used an Olympic Catalytic heater in our previous coach for 8 yrs

they work great, the dogs used to go lay down right in front of it
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Exactly what is the brand and model number of the quiet furnace?
Is the install similar to yours?

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
OH I understand the ramifications of having an open gas heater inside... with no vent either so air exchange becomes an issue... many can be hard plumbed if tolerances permit... I'm still really on the fence with them, though I do have one in my home as a backup in case of a power outage in winter.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaning and adjusting makes sense... this spring or when the WX warms enough so I don't have to run the bugger every night.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe your furnace needs a little cleaning and maintenance. Adjustments for air/propane mix. Shouldn't sound like a blast furnace.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lar's wrote:
That Olympian Wave 6 looks pretty interesting... wonder how close to flammable materials It can be mounted? Worth another look I guess.

Don't forget that unless you want to rapidly go through those little expensive green 1 lb. propane bottles - the portable propane heaters require you to probably have a non-metal hose (made of some kind of flexible material that can eventually degrade) carrying propane within the coach's living area, along with a connection on each end of it that can potentially start leaking someday.

The above presents way more of a risk than the rigidly mounted metal tubing/plumbing that is used by the RV manufacturers to feed propane to the cooktop, the oven, the furnace, the water heater, and the refrigerator.

We refuse to use a movable propane appliance inside the coach area, just in case.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
That Olympian Wave 6 looks pretty interesting... wonder how close to flammable materials It can be mounted? Worth another look I guess.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
We too are big fans of portable heaters and have used them a lot, but... since we're here in AZ Valley and are paying electric... we get buy with more propane and less electricity... but when on the road... it's Katie Bar the Door.

Thx
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
I too dislike the noisy, inefficient, furnace.
So I mainly just use it for quick warm-ups and then use a catalytic heater (Olympian Wave 6) for the bulk of my heating needs. Opinions differ on catalytic/portable propane space heaters, so do your homework before buying one if that is what you choose to do.

Lar_s
Explorer
Explorer
Thx ... I know the market is coming out with a Aqua Hot type prototype but think it's only sold to manufacturers and installed by them... I know they're quiet as we've had that before in a MH. I'm with you in that we'll just have to live with it.
Lar

2015 Dynamax Trilogy
36 RL
Ram 3500 Dually

MrWizard
you will get all kinds of replies

but NO, there is not much you can do with the existing furnace to reduce noise, blocking filtering or slower fan, will cause overheating in the furnace

you can try replacing it with the same model the your friends have

that 'might help' or you can buy the same RV they have

or switch to portable electric heaters
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s