cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fusing solar

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
If the controller is 30amp do you fuse the line for 30amps.
Flagstaff 228BHSE

Gold prospecting in Northern Nevada!
15 REPLIES 15

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It's when the controller throws a hissy-fit and holds it's breath until it passes out that a fuse comes into play. This is far less common than a fault between the battery and the controller.

Visit the area in an OEM plant. It's sounds like WW 3 staple gun warfare. Now imagine a big panel staple ALMOST shorting a hot wire. It works until it's bounded down the highway a few thousand miles.

Myself I am old fashioned. I put the panels to sleep before working on the system. A tarp or towels.

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
time2roll wrote:
As long as the ampacity of the wire from the panels to the controller exceeds the Isc rating of the panels... no fuse is needed.
x2. I don't really see a need to fuse any of it. So I don't.

Hmm good point.
Flagstaff 228BHSE

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
I fuse both into and out of controller as a convenient way to disconnect for service.
JMHO

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
As long as the ampacity of the wire from the panels to the controller exceeds the Isc rating of the panels... no fuse is needed.
x2. I don't really see a need to fuse any of it. So I don't.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Rail Dawg wrote:
Iโ€™ll fuse at 30 amps between the solar and controller.

Thereโ€™s also a 30-amp fuse at the battery installed by the manufacturer.

Do appreciate the input!
As long as the ampacity of the wire from the panels to the controller exceeds the Isc rating of the panels... no fuse is needed. You can short the wires all day long with no harm to the wire or panels. A DC rated switch might prove useful to cut power to the controller for service. Most controllers need the solar power disconnected before disconnecting from the battery. Or you can remove that fuse.

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll fuse at 30 amps between the solar and controller.

Thereโ€™s also a 30-amp fuse at the battery installed by the manufacturer.

Do appreciate the input!
Flagstaff 228BHSE

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Morningstar says to comply with NEC the fuse (battery to controller) s/b rated at least 20% over the controller rating and wire should have ampacity to match the fuse. So you are looking at 40 amp fuse and #8 wire minimum afaik. Fuse s/b close to the battery not the controller. If you are pushing near 30 amps I would have #6 wire minimum assuming wire fits the controller lugs.

The problem with the NEC on this is the rules apply to grid tie systems which RV's are not. I chose a breaker at the batteries to protect the wire and then another breaker at the CC to protect the electronics.
Just a different approach.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Fuse to protect the wire first, then reduce that fuse rating to protect the electronics second.

So if your wire can handle 40A but your electronics only 30A, go with a 30A fuse.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer

morphrider
Explorer
Explorer
Read Renogy site about fusing. Match the controller, seems if you went a size larger than controller then you risk ruining the controller. Makes no sense to go that 20% higher that windynation refers to. I think that 20% reference goes from the solar panels to the controller, not from controller to battery. Read the clicky below...

Rail_Dawg
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.

Running #6 will fuse at 40 amps next to battery.
Flagstaff 228BHSE

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What brand controller do you have? Post all the facts, not just your question.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Morningstar says to comply with NEC the fuse (battery to controller) s/b rated at least 20% over the controller rating and wire should have ampacity to match the fuse. So you are looking at 40 amp fuse and #8 wire minimum afaik. Fuse s/b close to the battery not the controller. If you are pushing near 30 amps I would have #6 wire minimum assuming wire fits the controller lugs.

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fuses are to protect the wire between items. Fuse to the wire size. i.e. #10 30 amp, #12 20 amp, etc.

Rail Dawg wrote:
If the controller is 30amp do you fuse the line for 30amps.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.