cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generac generators

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw an ad in Trailer Life for the iQ2000 by Generac. The ad says it beats Honda. I'm unfamiliar with this generator. Please share your knowledge/experiences pro or con.
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
28 REPLIES 28

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
As one of t he original purchasers of an IQ2000 I can tell you first hand that there is no noticeable difference in noise level of these to a Honda. What I can tell you is that the amount of power produced is substantially higher in the Honda's over the Generac's! I did extensive testing with multiple IQ2K's and never could get any of them to produce enough power to compete with the Honda. I sent a total of 4 back to the company because they are worthless and purchased 2 Honda EU2000's and have never looked back!

I tried them, they failed miserably and now I have unit's that work

Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Again, maybe I'm reading it wrong but what do you see in their numbers?

As one who has owned two EU2000i gensets what I see is a failed attempt by Generac to convince buyers they can have something for nothing when the fact is the Honda is simply a better generator for all the reasons I previously mentioned. For some that will matter enough to pay the difference, for others it won't.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
rjxj wrote:
Maybe I'm reading the results wrong but aren't D E and F putting out less voltage than the Hondas A B C? The difference between A and F is 4.2 volts.
Some may not care if they get 123 v or 118.8 but to be accurate wouldn't they have to be the same?

Why? Different inverter module, different specs, why would there be any relationship between what a Honda inverter produces and what a Generac inverter produces? Each genset will display it's own characteristics - size, weight, engine size, noise, unloaded output voltage, loaded output voltage, surge capability, etc, etc, etc. Generac made a concerted effort to cloud these issues claiming their 1/2 price 2000 watt genset is "better" than the Honda equivalent and although this report does show a slight advantage to the Generac the differences are so small as to be irrelevant. Fact is, the Honda EU2000i has a 20% larger engine, the best sustained surge capability of any genset in this class, has a long history of being as dead reliable as any genset could be, and parts for it are available from any Honda powersports dealer. Yes, it's more costly than the Generac but it comes down to getting what you pay for - which is not just the genset itself but also the Honda support network behind it that is second to none. There's nothing wrong with buying by price alone as long as you understand that's what you're getting but if you also want full service standing behind that product then you're going to have to pay for it - and that's what those of us who have purchased a Honda get. :B

I OWN a Honda and have worked on many generators and small engines so I agree. ๐Ÿ™‚
What I'm pointing out is that generac is claiming to be quieter but it isn't at the same voltage or wattage of load as the Honda. I have never seen a generator that wouldn't get a little louder when you throw 50 watts more load on it. Throw EXACTLY the same load on each unit. It all may be minuscule but the test seems meaningless. Again, maybe I'm reading it wrong but what do you see in their numbers?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rjxj wrote:
Maybe I'm reading the results wrong but aren't D E and F putting out less voltage than the Hondas A B C? The difference between A and F is 4.2 volts.
Some may not care if they get 123 v or 118.8 but to be accurate wouldn't they have to be the same?

Why? Different inverter module, different specs, why would there be any relationship between what a Honda inverter produces and what a Generac inverter produces? Each genset will display it's own characteristics - size, weight, engine size, noise, unloaded output voltage, loaded output voltage, surge capability, etc, etc, etc. Generac made a concerted effort to cloud these issues claiming their 1/2 price 2000 watt genset is "better" than the Honda equivalent and although this report does show a slight advantage to the Generac the differences are so small as to be irrelevant. Fact is, the Honda EU2000i has a 20% larger engine, the best sustained surge capability of any genset in this class, has a long history of being as dead reliable as any genset could be, and parts for it are available from any Honda powersports dealer. Yes, it's more costly than the Generac but it comes down to getting what you pay for - which is not just the genset itself but also the Honda support network behind it that is second to none. There's nothing wrong with buying by price alone as long as you understand that's what you're getting but if you also want full service standing behind that product then you're going to have to pay for it - and that's what those of us who have purchased a Honda get. :B

MrWizard
118v or 122v it's still when in utility power code specs
Voltage has NOTHING to do with the engine db loudness
The voltage is all controlled by the electronics and the generator/alternator head
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
I had an onboard Generac on my 1996 Dolphin. In 17 years it never blinked. However it was not very quiet.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
I tried reading thru all the specs looking for the sound level and couldn't find it. Has anyone actually found the sound specs?? It's easy to say you beat Honda, but lets see it in print.

Go here. Differences are so tiny as to be insignificant, despite what Generac may claim.

SAMPLE A โ€“ Specific Test Conditions
Sample ID
Test Condition
Measured Load (Watt)
Output Voltage
A
50% - 18.9 Ohms
B
50% - 19.1 Ohms
C
50% - 19.1 Ohms
D
50% - 19.1 Ohms
E
50% - 19.1 Ohms
F
50% - 18.9 Ohms

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
I tried reading thru all the specs looking for the sound level and couldn't find it. Has anyone actually found the sound specs?? It's easy to say you beat Honda, but lets see it in print.

Go here. Differences are so tiny as to be insignificant, despite what Generac may claim.

tonydives
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a Generac IQ2000 and after only 80 hours of operation the crank cord is shafted through by something on the inside. a service center will look at it in about a week. I don't recommend this generator

TEXAS
Explorer
Explorer
I have been dealing with Generac for forty years. In the generator world they are known as Genajunk. You don't want one.

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
Never trust the words from a multi product dealer. They are always going to try to sell you the item with the highest profit margin. I took my Echo blower and chain saw in for fuel line replacements and asked the dealer/repair shop their opinions on Husqvarna. My neighbor has 2 Husky chain saws, one new, and though they sound like they are falling apart they always start and run well. This dealer/repair shop said that Huskies were not very good but if I wanted to upgrade from my Echos I should consider Jonserud. Jonserud are made by Husky as an entry level/high profit margin alternative to the other brands.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
klr650goldwing wrote:
I just saw an ad in Trailer Life for the iQ2000 by Generac. The ad says it beats Honda. I'm unfamiliar with this generator. Please share your knowledge/experiences pro or con.

There should be lots of knowledge and/or experience on the *Tech Issues* forum (here) - where you will usually find (almost) *everything* related to generators!..:):W

Search it, re-post over there (use a new title), or ask the mod for a move.

~

csamayfield55x
Explorer
Explorer
klr650goldwing wrote:
I thought that ad sounded too good to be true and after reading your comments I think I'll go with the Honda. Thanks everyone. I appreciate your wisdom.

I think that is a good plan. I tried very hard to support not only an american company but some new technology. What I found out is that you can't beat the Honda quality and you have to read the fine print.

Good luck
Chris
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins Quad cab
B&W 20K turnover ball, Proline custom flatbed
Tekonsha P3
2015 Open Rang Light 311FLR