cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator hard start

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
My rig has a Generac Guardian Quietpact 40G gen set.
It has been giving me a hard time. I found the carb was varnished, and the fuel solenoid was no good. I've since replaced the carburetor. Now the generator only starts if I hold the throttle closed. The choke appears to be cycling normal, and I have fuel.
It seems odd that I have to hold the throttle closed, to start. After it starts, if runs fine. I can also restart hot no problem.
I'm stumped now.
14 REPLIES 14

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
As a number of other posters have stated the problem is in the choke. When you close the throttle all the way it will pull the fuel through the idle circuit at cranking speed and start. You need to take a look at the choke butterfly and make sure it is closing all of the way so it seals off almost all of the air. Also some engines have holes in the butterfly so the engine will not completely flood out with full choke.I have seen cases where these holes need to be partially or completely plugged off so the engine would start under some conditions.....usually when the engine is used in applications with high parasitic loads that result in slow cranking speeds.
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
Really stumped now. Fresh gas, same problem.

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if I can siphon the tank? I'll try that tomorrow. If not that's a lot of idling to burn 25 gallons!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think I'd get all new gas.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
It's half new gas, half unknown. It was the previous owners gas.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
plumber2311 wrote:
I'm wondering if it could be a fuel quality issue? The rigs engine does fire right up.
How old is the gas?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
The choke cycles as the engine turns over. It does seem a bit quick. The service manual states two seconds on and off, it seems a bit quicker than that. I've tried to hold the choke closed with no results, only holding the throttle closed gets it running.
As far as fuel, it seems to hold fuel for a couple days. As well, I do prime .
I'm wondering if it could be a fuel quality issue? The rigs engine does fire right up.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure the choke really works. Does the fuel pump hold fuel in the line or does it drain back when sitting?

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would double-check that the choke is actually working properly. Also, if it starts easily if you shut it down and restart after it first gets going, it may simply be taking a bit for gas to get pumped from the tank to the engine.

I would not think it should be necessary to clean a brand new carburator.

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
should I need to clean out a brand new carburetor?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
sprays don,t do much more carbs, it goes right to the piston, t6ry sea foam in the fuel ,it,ll clean things up.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I'll 2nd Seafoam but you may also have a bad/hardened float valve o-ring.
Seems to be a common occurrence ever since ethanol has been added to gas.

I've had this problem a couple of time on other small engines
Gerry

plumber2311
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the spray before I replaced the carburetor. I haven't added any to the fuel.
I've also verified strong spark, and replaced the spark plug while I was at it.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have you tried sea foam?
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper