cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFI Breaker switch won't reset

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
Breaker switch wont reset , and hence one plug in the bathroom, 2 plugs in the kitchen and the water heater (using electricity) don't work (surprisingly the dishwasher does). The outlets say GFI protected but there is no button to 'test' the outlet. The RV was in storage in high humidity and I might guess that this is causing the problem. (Today is Day 1 out of storage). If so, will the plugs dry-out ? Should I replace the outlets with the type of outlet that has the test button right on it to possibly identify the source ? This is a Mobile Suites 5th wheel. Thank you

NOTE: Did you see the "Announcement : ★★READ BEFORE POSTING HERE★★" located at the top of this forum?
    "Forum Posting Help and Support is reserved for questions on how to post in the forums, signature and photo testing, reporting website or member account issues. Please avoid using Forum Posting Help and Support for RV related questions, as doing so can delay responses to your thread. Instead, create future threads in the RV FORUM which corresponds to the subject of your topic. Thank-you!"
19 REPLIES 19

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Add the patio to the "not working" list

"how they are wried and why no reset/test button on most of 'em

Breaker---GFCI--Outlet 2---Outlet 3--and so on

The GFCI (normally in bathroom but .. they do hide 'em) provides both power and protection to the outlets without the buttons.

There are two "Won't reset" conditions In one it really does reset but tripps faster than you can say "TRIP" in the other it does not reset. On MOST Gfci's this will cause a red telltail light to come on (Sadly the key word is MOST. I've seen 'em where the light meant "SET" not "Tripped". but only in one installation. a building).

A common issue is wet patio outlets. got rained in or something and if it's the first (Insta-trip) this is my prime suspect.. how to test

UNPLUG EVERYTHIGN.. I am amazed the water heater is on the GFCI as odds are you can not unplug it but unplug everything else.

Does it still insta-trip? Check the patio outlet to see if it got soaked. if so dry out. replace and reseal.

Then it gets to be fun.. Tracking it down.

page 2: Does not reset period. no red light (most GFCIs)

NO power to the GFCI.. Tripped breaker, Screw loose, Wire Nut failure. Moused wiring.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
all the problems have been corrected...The gfi problem and the water heater problem were unrelated...Re the GFI circuit breaker, I pulled it all the way down and then all the way up and it reset. I am guessing the excess moisture while in storage must have been the original culprit when we first brought the 5th wheel out of storage.

Re the water heater, I had forgotten that there is also an outside switch that I need to turn on to allow electric heat. This is apparently a back-up safety feature so that when you drain the water heater and have the electric heat still switched on inside, this switch (if switched to the off position) overrides the inside panel switch. It is located right by the drain plug

MrWizard
Lot of confusion here
GFI circuit breakers in the circuit breaker box
Was the original design (over 40 years ago) and are still available

GFI duplex outlets , everybody uses now, are less robust and fail more often

If a gfi duplex outlet fails , only outlets down stream loose power,, it must be the first outlet on the circuit to protect/Kill the whole circuit

He says, None of his outlets have buttons, he has a GFI circuit breaker in the power panel, not GFI outlets

GFI outlets are Not defined as circuit breakers, there in lies the confusion in this conversation, even GFI outlets must have a real circuit breaker in the power panel

GFI circuit breaker should be clearly labeled

could also be a GFI outlet, in the basement storage, or on outside patio
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Make and model of the water heater?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

shug23
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Got the three plugs working by moving GFI breaker ALL the way down first as someone suggested...Seems like the water heater issue is separate.

Water heater works with gas but not electric..I am 99% sure the element is fine; always have been careful with it.
Appears there is a separate water heater breaker (apart from the GFI) and that is not thrown and looks ok...Also, when I go to the panel and press the switch to use electric, the light on the switch comes on
Will call Mobile Suites tomorrow and ask them for advice, but maybe this sounds familiar ? Maybe it is the element ?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do not replace the element until it is found to be issue. Disconnect it from circuit. Both the neutral and power conductor.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
I also recommend replacing the hot water heater element. I am no electrical guru but in my limited knowledge GFI tripping and circuit breaker tripping have separate causes/solutions. You may also have bad circuit breaker - inexpensive to switch out.
Kevin

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it's the breaker in the panel that won't reset on the circuit that has GCFI outlets connected to it then make sure you turn the breaker switch all the way off before trying to reset it. When most breakers trip they go to a halfway point and won't reset unless they are turned completely off first.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
joelc wrote:
Be sure you are not overloading them. If overloaded they won't reset. Also, check for a bad ground.

Overloading has nothing to do with the GFCI operation.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
As noted above, you can have one GFCI outlet and several slave "GFCI protected" outlets wired from the one GFCI outlet. Those are simply standard outlets wired to the output from the GFCI outlet. And only the GFCI outlet will have a reset button and test button.

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
garym114 wrote:
A circuit with multiple outlets can be GFI protected by one GFI outlet. Each outlet in this circuit will not have a reset button.

Yes, this!
And,your heating element in the water heater may be the culprit. Can you eliminate that connection and retry?

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
shug23 wrote:
Breaker switch wont reset ,

Exactly which breaker are you talking about ?

If it is a breaker in the AC distribution panel, that is a WHOLE different problem than a GFI outlet breaker tripping.

ALL of the GFI protected outlets usually go through ONE GFI type outlet with the built-in breaker.

If it is a breaker in the main box, you do know that you must push it all the way to OFF before turning back ON.....right ??

And I agree that the water heater would be my first suspect.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

garym114
Explorer II
Explorer II
A circuit with multiple outlets can be GFI protected by one GFI outlet. Each outlet in this circuit will not have a reset button.
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It