Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GFI circuit drawing down whole camper.

djpetrou
Explorer
Explorer
I need some suggestions here.
2004 Trailhauler toyhauler.
One circuit has gfi receptacles at the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink and at the cook top.
When this circuit is on it draws the battery down an will drain it. This happens even when hooked to shore power. It is a considerable drain when turning the breaker on and off.
I am suspecting a GFI maybe or with the age of the unit maybe the converter.
Any suggestions on finding the problem?
D.J.
30 REPLIES 30

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
A clampon ammeter that measures AC/DC voltage and AC/DC amps could be very useful. For example how much AC current is the GFCI circuit drawing and how much DC discharge.

And this is a very useful tool for RVers with basic electrical experience besides this thread. An inexpensive one which will be accurate enough is about $50.

Be safe if you open AC circuit areas to measure AC voltage or amps.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

djpetrou
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
What about the voltage level on your shore power? Is it possible that if that is already low and then when you plug into your GFCI recept., you are dragging the voltage down low enough that the converter can't charge or trips out?

Are you plugged into a pedestal at a CG with a 30A cord or at home and connected with a 15A extension cord?

This is when plugged into a 30A Ped.
Also the GFCI plugs have nothing plugged into them when this is happening. So. IMO there should be no draw.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What about the voltage level on your shore power? Is it possible that if that is already low and then when you plug into your GFCI recept., you are dragging the voltage down low enough that the converter can't charge or trips out?

Are you plugged into a pedestal at a CG with a 30A cord or at home and connected with a 15A extension cord?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Disconnect the charger AC input and see what happens.

Buy a wire tracer/sniffer and trace the GFCI wiring to see where it goes and connects to.

Is this a recent problem or from 2004? Blue Sky thinking maybe something is miswired on the GFCI circuit?

Identify and check all equipment that uses both AC and DC: For example refer, HW, charger, AC's, etc.

Could you have a second battery/charger just for the garage part?

Any new or unique mods to the unit?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

djpetrou
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Let me clear up a few things.Obviously the GFCI circuit is 120v.

IF I am plugged into shore power it works, If I am unplugged it does not work. (non of the 120v circuits obviously will work)
I am the only owner and this does not have an inverter.

If I am plugged in the shore power and the GFCI circuit breaker switch on the Power dist panel is turned "ON" over a short time the lights go dim, the fans slow down and the battery is also drained.

IF I turn off the circuit breaker (at the power dist panel) for the GFCI's then everything returns to normal. The battery charges back up and the camper runs like normal.

Also, if I remove the battery and charge it in the garage it will charge fully and hold a charge.

Does the clarify the situation?

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
I missed on thing on my last reply.

The GFI reset outlets may have been effected by this setup and may need replacing as you suspect.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
djpetrou wrote:
Battery checked out fine and charges on a stand alone unit just fine.
I'm kind of expecting the converter to finally be bad. No inverter.

From your first post and this reply, your converter/charger is hooked up to this circuit (and circuit breaker). Poor choice on the manufacturer's part. Also; you do not even have an inverter installed.

Too many repliers confused about this.

The converter/charger is going bad and cannot recharge the battery(s). It might be just a bad ground or other connections since you seem to think you had charging. Turning off the circuit-breaker on this circuit takes the converter/charger "off-line" with no battery charging. The fast discharge shows the battery is going "belly up".

I really do not think your battery is "fine". Your posted symptoms point to a highly sulfated battery that can no longer hold much of it's original capacity. Can you see at least 12.6 volts when reading voltage at the battery-terminals at least 24 hours after leaving the RV unplugged?

It looks like you need both a new converter/charger, all connections, grounds, checked and cleaned, along with a new house-battery.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
Old-biscuit is on the trail.

IF that GFI has 120V AC power when you aren't connected to AC power source then it HAS to be powered by an inverter drawing from battery

If you are not the original owner there could be a modification you are unaware of. Such as a hidden Inverter. Look under and in cabinets for something about the size of a large thick book.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

queenie2
Explorer
Explorer
The GFI is not meant to be a switch. Do you go around and shut them all off and on? Why? Should also occur if not connected to shore power. In which case it probably is the converter. And you have an inverter but do not know it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
djpetrou wrote:
One circuit has gfi receptacles at the kitchen sink, the bathroom sink and at the cook top.
When this circuit is on it draws the battery down an will drain it. This happens even when hooked to shore power.

:H

You state you don't have an inverter but you also say this happens when hooked to shore power.......

IF that GFI has 120V AC power when you aren't connected to AC power source then it HAS to be powered by an inverter drawing from battery.

The inverter draw on a battery can draw the 12V DC voltage down fairly quickly when using high amp items.

And when on AC power source the converter maybe failing and can't keep up with the drain on battery and battery is probably shot from excessive low voltages (Can be charged OK but doesn't hold a charge)

But an AC GFI Circuit would not draw a battery down UNLESS it is feed via an inverter tied to battery.........two separate system AC & DC
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

westend
Explorer
Explorer
djpetrou wrote:
What voltages did you measure? Did you measure without the converter powered, too?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
This was the exact same symptom I had when my converter went out. I replaced it with a new one from Camping World. About 10 months later, the exact same symptoms. I called the converter manufacturer and they sent me a free replacement. Each time I installed the new converter it solved the problem instantly.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

djpetrou
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a combination of bad converter and low battery. Do you have an inverter in that rig?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

djpetrou
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so when I turn on the 120v GFCI circuit all the 12v lights dim and the battery gets drawn down. leave it like this and in 30 min the battery is dead.