cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gray Tank Smell (Seriously annoying)

Wulrich
Explorer
Explorer
I love our travel trailer, but we have been having some serious issues with a very potent smell.

Issue: Every time we run the kitchen faucet we get a rotten egg smell out of both of our A/C units almost instantly. Weโ€™ve had the unit for about 3 months, and this has been going on for about 2 months.

Things Iโ€™ve tried:

1) Replaced the air admittance valves underneath both sinks.
2) Got on top of the unit to ensure the vents werenโ€™t clogged, even ran water down them.
3) Cleaned gray tank, put tons of detergent, fragrances, and cleaning solutions in the gray tank to clean it.
4) Checked the anorod on the water heater
5) Keep the gray tank closed until ready to empty
6) Called the manufacture, they sent out a tech and were unable to find the problem. Have also called multiple service techs and no one seems to have heard of the issue.

Does anyone else have any other ideas? We are seriously bummed about it, my wife and kids hate it. We love the unit except for this issue. Any help is appreciated!

I have a 2022 Forest River Travel Trailer, Heritage Glen
48 REPLIES 48

Explorer II
Explorer II
It could be the water heater anode reacting to the water. This has happened to us a few times

beginrv.com/rv-smells-like-rotten-eggs

Try a zinc rod
Read The Reviews
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Generally there is a cap or housing on top of your roof that covers the vent pipe that protrudes through the roof. Maybe your cap or housing is damaged or missing.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
It's a one way valve to allow air into the drain pipes. You can see a picture of one at this link.https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2-in-ABS-In-Line-Cheater-Air-Admittance-Vent-39012/100204205#o...

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Showing my ignorance: What is an air admittance valve?

Try some of the same product you use in the black tank such as Campa Chem, Camco TST, etc. That type of stuff works in the black tank, and it also works in the gray tank.

It's hot in Texas, and that makes the smell increase.

I would think keeping the gray tank closed is the wrong way to address the problem.

I suspect the odor is coming from the vent pipe on the roof, and being drawn into the A/C. You need to clean up the gray tank odor. Leave the valve open. Add some RV deodor product. Good luck.

BTW, Gray tank water typically can smell worse than black tank water.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog