cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Harbor Freight Predator 3500 Generator Review and Fuel Use

d_dubya
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone. I just finished my first round of testing my new Predator 3500 inverter generator. I bought this to replace my Honda eu2000i. The Honda would push the 9000 BTU AC in my Lance trailer, but it was near top volume and felt like it was running flat out. I wanted an EU3000i, but didn't have the cash. Figuring I would get an extra 2 years warranty if I used my Costco Visa, the risk was low so I took the plunge.

Using my calibrated ear gauge, I think that noise is equal for all practical purposes. The Honda is slightly quieter with no load in eco-throttle, but the Predator is much quieter under loads of 500-1500 watts. The predator never feels like its running at the limit like the Honda does.

My biggest curiosity was fuel use and whether the Predator would live up to the claims on the box: 11 hours at 25% load (750 watts), and 90 hours at 50% load (1500 watts). I tested this by measuring out 250 ml of fuel, running under a constant load until the generator died. I did this for a few different loads generated using a heat gun and my wife's hair dryer. Ecotyhrottle was on for all cases. Here is what I found:

@ zero watts, runtime was 32 minutes (21 hours/tank)
@ 356 watts, runtime was 22 minutes (14.4 hours/tank)
@ 947 watts, runtime was 17 minutes (11.2 hours/tank)
@ 1647 watts, runtime was 12 minutes (7.9 hours/tank)
@ 1996 watts, runtime was 10 minutes (6.6 hours/tank)

Based on this data, I plotted a trendline in Excel and calculated the expected results at 25% & 50% load. They were 11.9 hours and 8.7 hours. This exceeds the published value at 25% load, and is slightly below at 50%. I would say that this is a very good result.

Comparing this to published data from the Honda shows that @ 400 watts (25% of the Honda rated load), the Honda uses about 37% less fuel at 400 watts and about 17% less at 1600 watts.

Overall I am very happy I made the switch. I can run my AC, microwave, water pumo and all of my lights at the same time. Time will tell on reliability but it feels very solid and runs really smooth.
23 REPLIES 23

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
I will have the 2000 predator hopefully soon. It will be all we need for the TT and at home when power is out we can camp out in the yard. We have lost power to many times and I don't want to spend the money for a hole house generator.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2000 predator and a honda 2000. the predator starts much easier than the honda does. actually I like them both. I'm too old to try lifting one of the 3500's into the truck by myself

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
d_dubya wrote:
Time will tell on reliability but it feels very solid and runs really smooth.
Yes, report back in 5 years or after 3000 hours. One of my Hondas is 16 years old and still going strong.
d_dubya wrote:
The generator literally started on the first pull out of the box. This makes me wonder if there was fuel in the lines.
There had to be fuel somewhere.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you for your report.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

d_dubya
Explorer
Explorer
I will report back in time as I use it more. My wife thinks I'm crazy for doing this kind of stuff, but it bothers me when I don't know the answers to these questions. I will eventually do some noise testing using one of our high end B&K sound level meters.

Some other things worthwhile to note. The generator literally started on the first pull out of the box. This makes me wonder if there was fuel in the lines. Not a big deal, just surprising it started so easy. After running it empty, the engine would turn a few times while everything primed. The electric starter is very nice. After all this testing, I did my first oil change at 4 hours based on some other forum entries. The oil was a little bit dark and there was a decent amount of very small metal particles in the oil. Nothing I would worry about, but enough that I am glad I changed it. I'll change it again soon to see if that was just from the initial break-in. I have a magnetic dipstick on order just to be safe.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Excellent info, thanks. Keep us updated on the Predator 3500 and how it holds up for the long run.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
An old work buddy used to call me the "Overachiever". I surrender the name to you. ๐Ÿ™‚ Do report back with longer term input. Thank you

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Very well done sir!

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
d_dubya wrote:

I tested this by measuring out 250 ml of fuel...

Based on this data, I plotted a trendline in Excel

I thought I was the only one who plotted trendlines. ๐Ÿ™‚
There is something special about camping in an RV.