cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for input on economical 12v deep cycle batteries.

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Replacing 2 12v deep cycle batteries for the RV.

Almost never set up without 30 or 50 amp service.

Would like to keep the cost at less than $180 for the pair.

What suggestions/recommendations do you have for reasonably priced 12v deep cycle batteries, limiting size to about 12 inches wide?

TIA
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB
18 REPLIES 18

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Never away from shore power: A single cheap 12v starting battery will do fine.

A little boondocking: A pair of 6v to produce 12v is the cheapest option for true deep cycle batteries.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
If you can find an Interstate warehouse, you can sometimes buy cosmetic reject batteries for cheap. Stuff like a broken carry handle or torn / missing information label makes it hard to sell in a retail store.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Disconnected from shore power a pair of group 27 batteries will do just fine for 500-road-miles powering the refrigerator. But not suitable for say two overnights on the road. A single scrimping night, yes. But no large loads. Three lights max at a time on for no more than three hours.

I have to concur with Mex. For a single overnight followed by a proper charging, your good.

Sam's Club has their Group 27 marine "dual purpose" batteries on sale until the end of the month for LESS than the regular automotive starting batteries.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Seldom boondocks, wants thrifty service. A pair of engine starting batteries subjected to HALF the cycle depth will last eight times as long as a pseudo cycle RV battery. A 20% DOD with a pair of CAR group 27's is a lot of energy.

How long is the free exchange with a Costco auto battery?
substantial price difference between an auto group 27 and an RV group 27.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
I have used the same 2 WalMart Marine Deep Cycle batteries for the RV and the boat for 4-5 years.

I am glad they work for you, but those are not TRUE deep cycle batteries. They are dual purpose.

Boon Docker wrote:
I think you will have a tough time trying to find true 12v deep cycle batteries for $90 each.
You could get two GC-2 (6 volt - 220-230 AH) deep cycle for about $180.

If you want cost effective, TRUE deep cycle batteries, you can not beat a pair of 6V golf cart batteries.

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
If your rig is set up for 2 batteries get 2 marine deep cycle batteries from COSTCO, SAMS Club or Walmart. Should be good to go.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at an Interstate dealer's for an "Econo-Power" 27DC. I got one for less than half price of a new 27DC at Walmart, and it seems to be just as good when put in service.

If on full hook-ups that will get you by for years. If you have a trailer you do need a battery if you ever move (DOT Law) so your emergency breakaway will work, so you need some sort of 12v battery.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
donn0128 wrote:
If you dont need the power simply buy one and be done with it.

x2. Buy one. The cheapest you find.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I,ve used wal mart marine deep cycle batteries for years they hold up just fine, remember twice a year pull out and check the water level ,no water in any battery will kill it.

Good advice but instead of pulling out batteries I installed this system.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A pair of COSTCO

Automobile starting batteries

Size group 27

You definitely do not need expensive almost deep cycle batteries

Disconnected from shore power a pair of group 27 batteries will do just fine for 500- road-miles powering the refrigerator. But not suitable for say two overnights on the road. A single scrimping night, yes. But no large loads. Three lights max at a time on for no more than three hours.

The batteries will have a multi-year warranty plus Costco's refund "The colors clash" policy. Take the refund and buy Cyclable RV batteries next time.

Engine starting batteries use less water than RV batteries.

They are a deal-maker according to your budget.

lj2654
Explorer
Explorer
rural king has some good batteries for good prices.
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples 40
2012 Cadillac Srx
retired AirForce 1979-1992

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,ve used wal mart marine deep cycle batteries for years they hold up just fine, remember twice a year pull out and check the water level ,no water in any battery will kill it.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious, why do you need two if you're never without hookups?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed