Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furnace Question

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!
Took my first camping trip with 32' Fleetwood motorhome. Temps dropped to 26. Furnace would fire up and warm things up but would start backup 45 seconds after completely shutting down. It was running continuously except for the 45 second breaks. Doesn't make sense. Most of the heating vents are from the thermostat back to the bedroom and bath. Only one vent under kitchen counter for the entire front half of the coach. Furnace ran normal until early morning temps dropped below 32.

Any ideas?

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I had an issue years ago where the furnace did something similar. The furnace just couldn't keep up and it was only about 30 degrees with a stiff wind. It would cut off and then back on in a short time.

I took the furnace apart and found that more than half the holes in the burner were fill with dirt dauber mud. Cleaned it and installed insect screens on all openings. Issue solved.

Since then I have screened and sealed all opening on every camper we've had as soon as I could get it done.
Joe and Evelyn

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a digital thermostat, it will try to keep the temp from dropping more than about one degree before restarting the furnace. An analogue thermostat will let the temp drop more before kicking the furnace back on. Sounds like you have a digital stat.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œwhile saving propaneโ€œ

Propane is inexpensive and available. โ€œSaveโ€ somewhere else.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
roadrat57 wrote:
Noticed ceiling ac vents have the ability to be closed. This would save heat, would it not? Does heat escape through such vents?

AC is a closed system, it just recirculates air in the MH, no outside air.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Noticed ceiling ac vents have the ability to be closed. This would save heat, would it not? Does heat escape through such vents?

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your comments. My plan will be to close off the hallway containing the thermostat, bath and bedroom while allowing the open living room and driver area to rely on the lone output vent. This should keep the sleeping area toasty while saving propane and preventing the need for the furnace click on and off so often.

Roadrat

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
1st quest what temp were you trying to heat to? We find that 68 degrees is very comfortable. with that last January we were hosting at the coast. We were very comfortable in our 32' three season 5er, at 20 degrees using the Cheap Heat system , which is only 5,000 watts of heat or 17,600 BTU. Our gas furnace is rated a 30,000 BTU input, or 24,060 BTU output. The cheap heat system didn't run anywhere near constantly.
You either have a huge cold air leak, a very weak furnace, or trying to heat to about 75 to 80 degrees.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The furnace cycle, you might not notice this but the blower starts.. Then later the BURNER starts.. shut down is in reverse order, the blower blows for quite some time after burner shuts off so your "Down time" is skewed. it is actually much longer.

Second, you are getting right close to the low-temp limit for your RV, so near constant furnace operation is normal.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Probably restricted or inadequate ducting. You need to improve the hot air ducts or add more.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds to me as though you were operating very close to the minimum temperature at which your rig's furnace could provide the heat needed to keep you warm. It got down to 26 and you had 45 second off time, so I bet had it gone to 24 or 25 the furnace would have simply run continuously.

So, if you intend to use it during even colder weather, plan to get one or more extra heaters. Alternatively, just don't use it below freezing.

Moved from Forum Technical Support

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Get a Big Buddy heater and a hose. They work so much better and use a lot less propane than your furnace.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 26 degrees and not knowing the BTU output of the furnace or what temp you had it set for, I would say totally normal