cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Harbor Freight - what happened to the 20% off coupons

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Harbor Freight - what happened to the 20% off coupons and the "free" trinkets like little flashlights,etc. Haven't seen any of these coupons in a few months, at least in Florida .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard
52 REPLIES 52

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Funny thing...my morning email had a Harbor Freight ad; guess what it said?
10% off everything, no exceptions, and if you're an Inside Track Member ($30 yearly fee) you get 20% off, no exceptions. Good today thru Monday.
I guess they read my post from last night and decided to send me a coupon!

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Direct buying via eBay and Amazon carved the heart out of Harbor Freight. When it started in the early eighties it was known as HARBOR FREIGHT SALVAGE. Garbage ยผ and ? socket sets cost $3 and were worth half that. Today a purchase means standing in line for ยฝ hour to pay if you can find a parking spot.

Their major counterpower is their garbage is returnable. Buy through eBay and extended delivery time items from the far east are chew & spit. I accidentally tried tools from Auto Zone and the quality was very noticeably better. I put on my reading glasses and read TAIWAN

Simple INDIA hand tools are of tolerable quality. Korean made electrical gizmos are also tolerable. But I am fussier than hell about my electrical tools. GERMANY. Canada OLSA has a brand new forged bench vise that is magnitudes stronger than the old benchmark WILTON. About time.

I need to get the kids a HF 2cycle 800 watt generator. But which Spark plug brand replaces the OEM no start?

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
I remember when J.C. Penney's always had coupons and special sales, BOGO, etc. Then a new CEO decided to do away with coupons, and you can see how that helped them. Near bankruptcy. I really think Harbor-Freight is going in the same direction. They are rebranding a lot of tools, and painted them in exciting colors, but they're the same tools; just cost more and you think you're getting a premium tool. I'll miss them!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I guess if you prefer buying junk it matters but I prefer to buy quality once.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
And how many cordless tool ads are labeled "Tool Only" meaning you have to buy a battery separately? Example: 20v Hypermaxโ„ข Lithium-Ion Cordless 1/2 In. Drill/Driver - Tool Only $44.99. So you have to buy a battery - Cheapest is: 20v HyperMaxโ„ข Lithium-Ion 1.5 Ah Compact Battery for $22.99. Of course the battery is useless without a charger, cheapest is: 20v Hypermaxโ„ข Lithium-Ion Rapid Charger again, for $22.99. Now your up to $90.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobWNY wrote:
There are 20% off specific item coupons and 30% off any $10 item but it's been a while since I've seen the 20% off "Any one item" and a long time since I've seen the 25% off Super Coupon. Also, you can't use a coupon of any kind on most of the better upscale tools. At least not the ones I've looked at. I was recently looking at their air pressure paint tank for $99.99 to convert to a pressure pot for resin casting but no coupon meant no sale.

No, HF is NOT printing flyers, they are emailing them.

In the emailed versions they are NO LONGER OFFERING ANY COUPONS.

Here is a small snapshot of what I get spammed with..

In that emailed flyer there are zero coupons, no barcodes, nothing to offer a discount..

If you go the HFs website, they HAVE removed ALL links to the coupons section, they are GONE, NO LONGER THERE, NO LONGER AVAILABLE.

They will honor any valid coupons you may have but when they expire, that program is toast.

They are going to more like a "Everyday value pricing" strategy and most likely only the "club" membership who paid a premium price might get some discounts for now..

You might see some "holiday" discounts but that is most likely all that will be offered.

The coupons appear during holiday sales. The problem is that HF puts so many restrictions of their use, they're not useful to me. Shifted primarily to Amazon.com. Though bought a bunch of battery tools from Home Depot during last Black Friday.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
There are 20% off specific item coupons and 30% off any $10 item but it's been a while since I've seen the 20% off "Any one item" and a long time since I've seen the 25% off Super Coupon. Also, you can't use a coupon of any kind on most of the better upscale tools. At least not the ones I've looked at. I was recently looking at their air pressure paint tank for $99.99 to convert to a pressure pot for resin casting but no coupon meant no sale.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
wopachop wrote:
On 2/13/21 HF texted me a 30% off any 10 dollar item. I think the 20% is still constantly available. It's just digital now.

I talked with a HF employee a few months ago. He recommended an app. It allowed you to use you phone to scan barcodes and then it tells you if that item is currently on sale or available for the 20% off. He said people walk around the store all day scanning codes.

I don't just add "Apps" to my phone for no good reason and especially if it has zero reasons to make my phone work better for "phone uses".

That is just another way HF or any company can TRACK you for marketing purposes..

When you scan the bcodes that app will forward what you scanned and ultimately what you buy from them.. The 30% off thing just entices you to buy things that you may not need in the first place, but who can resist getting something for 70% of the price even though it cost you privacy in the end..

It is what the world has come to since marketing folks have gotten lazy now days and buyers are more than willing to do those folks work.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Down here the Koreans and Taiwanese are trying direct email marketing for their products. And ads for the newest incarnation of Canada's Owatonna Tool Co. OLSA.

I have a HF engine crane at least 30 years old that still works and when I had my shop years ago you could get a lifetime warranty on tools. I could buy die grinders for $20 and good ones cost $240. I bought 20 of them and about every 2 months I would return the wore out ones and exchange for new. That worked out real good over the years.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
When things get tough, the advertising budget is usually one of the first things to go. I've seen other retailers go to "Everyday Low Pricing" and claim to lower their prices which they don't. Invariably, these programs fail and the retailers revert back to what works. It is too bad, I frequent HF a lot and always felt I received good value especially with the coupon. If I felt it was junk in the store I wouldn't buy it. I have a number of HF power tools, hydraulics and pumps which have always given me good service. I used one of their floor jacks yesterday.

Our local Ace store is a rip with their prices being 30% more than even Home Depot which is no bargain.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
On 2/13/21 HF texted me a 30% off any 10 dollar item. I think the 20% is still constantly available. It's just digital now.

I talked with a HF employee a few months ago. He recommended an app. It allowed you to use you phone to scan barcodes and then it tells you if that item is currently on sale or available for the 20% off. He said people walk around the store all day scanning codes.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobWNY wrote:
In my opinion, no longer having the 20% off coupon is a deal breaker for me unless I need something that's very inexpensive to begin with. Most of what Harbor Freight sells isn't worth the price they charge. If I have to pay full price for junk, I'll pay more elsewhere and buy better quality which is what I do most of the time anyway. Even their top of the line tools that they've begun selling are inferior. I watch a lot of videos comparing Harbor Freight Tools to name brand tools and they just don't hold up. I only buy things like zip ties or tools I'll only use a few times or the occasional caster, hand tool...things like that so just buying elsewhere is what I'll do now that the coupons aren't available.

I compare pricing and if the price is cheaper on Amazon and I don't need the item right away, I will order similar Chinese import item from Amazon.

Sometimes HF wins, sometimes Amazon wins.

Since the USA made old time Sears Craftsman tools left the building, it left a pretty big hole in my area for quality tools.. Now that that brand has been sold off, it is no longer quality stuff like it was..

I have a HF store less than 18 minutes away, so they do come in handy, the downside though is unlike a Sears store, HF doesn't have a very complete line of anything for mechanics tools and accessories and buying just ONE specific size socket instead of an entire kit doesn't happen at HF..

Most of their items work satisfactorily for me as long as I realize that they are not "lifetime" tools which will be handed down through generations of family.. I am OK with that if the tool gets the job done.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Insider Track has some good prices

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker