cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heat pump vs regular gas heat

simple274
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't much about this, so I am asking. What is the difference. I used my heat pump once, I have my air conditioning on the roof.
I guess I am asking when do use one or the other?
12 REPLIES 12

Moved from Forum Technical Support

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several advantages to both.

Heat pumps have a low outdoor temp limit, Typically 32-40 degrees depending on the model, below that they either simply will refuse to work, or won't work well and in fact may suffer damage if you try. (I like the "will refuse" models better).

But if electricity is included in the site rental.. They work for "Free".

Propane is less expensive to heat with, and really does not mind if you are down to say 25 degrees.. Though BUTANE, which is sometimes sold as propane in the south,, Won't work much below freezing either (NOTE: Butane is less expensive so if someone fills your tank with it and calls it Propane.. yes, that is fraud).

Propane does complain down around -40 though. Your choice of C or F at that temp.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said the heat pump is only good till outside temps around 38 degrees, so if outside temp is in the low 40's we use the heat pump. If temps are expected to go lower we switch to propane but we also use two 1500 ceramic heaters which are quiet compared to the furnace or the heat pump and if not paying for electric will offset propane usage. It is important to use the furnace if the temps are going below freezing if your tanks are heated by it. Some manufactures use electric heat blankets for the tanks so they would need being turned on for subfreezing temps.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just did five days out at temps in 60's during day, high 20s to high 30s at night.

Heat pump worked for cool of the evening, but first night it got below 35F it was running continuously, so I switched to the furnace. When the temperature gets close to the point where the heat pump no longer works, it becomes much less efficient (e.g. how much heat can 40F air transfer to a 35F evaporator).

Then it gets to the question, how hot do you want your hot air to be. With a heat pump, it is only going to be 15-20 F warmer than what's already inside the RV. With a low efficiency furnace like the RV units, you get a smaller volume of much hotter air, maybe as high as 120 - 150 F. A lot of people prefer that.

That is not so much an issue for me at home now, because I have a high efficiency furnace that provides air at about the same temp as my heat pump, at the point where it switches over.

If temperatures are going below freezing, run the furnace. First, because the heat pump simply won't give you much heat. Second, because the furnace is usually the heat source for keeping fresh water plumbing from freezing.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

a64armt
Explorer
Explorer
SteveRuff wrote:
I use my heat pump 98% of the time because I try very hard to stay where it doesn't freeze often. That being said, when an overnight freezer is forecast I will use my propane heater because it also pumps heat through the vents on the floor rather than through the air conditioner vents in the ceiling. This helps prevent pipes from freezing as well since the heat is lower and heats the lockers somewhat.

Very good tip, I will have to remember that. Most of the 5er's we are looking at have roof vents with their AC/heat pumps. Never thought that the basement wouldn't see much of that heat.

Thanks,
OJ
Vincent
Orlando, FL
2008 Ford F250 CC KR 6.4 Diesel - Air Lift 5000 Ultimate w/wireless air, Bilstein 4600 HDโ€™s, Hellwig BigWig Sway bars, Pullrite Super Rails, Hensley BD3
2014 Lifestyle RV LS36FW

wittmeba
Explorer
Explorer
It has been my experience that heat pumps don't provide the higher temps needed to really warm a place. Even at home with a 3 ton unit, it doesn't produce the heat the way a pure heater will. They may be efficient but if I was out in an RV and wanted to warm up the place I'd want gas/propane.
NRA Member & supporter of the 2nd amendment - over 5,000,000 strong

Firefoxยฎ 33

Log home images - Updated 05/19/2013

SteveRuff
Explorer
Explorer
I use my heat pump 98% of the time because I try very hard to stay where it doesn't freeze often. That being said, when an overnight freezer is forecast I will use my propane heater because it also pumps heat through the vents on the floor rather than through the air conditioner vents in the ceiling. This helps prevent pipes from freezing as well since the heat is lower and heats the lockers somewhat.
Both retired. Travel with Nicky the Schnoodle. Son graduated and is teaching high school math. We still love our 2006 34' Allegro Bay XB and have 50,000+ miles on her.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a heat pump at home. Wish we had one on the RV.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
ontheroad101 wrote:
Heat pump works great down to about 38* to 40*, then it switch over to the propane furnace. Also while on the heat pump, if the room temperature is 5* below the set temperature it will switch to the propane furnace.

X2
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

ontheroad101
Explorer
Explorer
Heat pump works great down to about 38* to 40*, then it switch over to the propane furnace. Also while on the heat pump, if the room temperature is 5* below the set temperature it will switch to the propane furnace.
Super Wife Linda, me Bob &
(Blazer & Lilly's ashes on board)
2014 Forester Class C, our Blog http://www.bobandlindasrvtravels.blogspot.com/

Sea Eagle Fishermen & Kayak

tkcas01
Explorer
Explorer
I typically use my heat pump when electricity is included in the site rental. If I am on a meter, I will use my propane furnaces.

I try to stay away from areas where the temp gets too low for the heat pump to be effective! :B
Roaming Full Timer

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Heat pump will only work to about freezing temps, my MH will automatically switch to propane if the heat pump will not keep the temp set.

Works well in campgrounds where I do not have to pay for electric - although my propane seems to last forever and is not terribly expensive
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks