cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Heater won't light.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Palomino Sabre 30 BHDS with a Suburban SF-35F heater.
On our last trip, the heater started acting up. I wouldn't light probably 80-90% of the time. The fan would run for 30 seconds or so, and then it would stop.

I figured that it may be the sail switch, as I read here how they fail a lot. I removed the heater, found the sail switch and cleaned a little dirt off of it. It tested good with my volt/ohm meter, so I put it all back together....It doesn't work.

Not sure what else to check.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
12 REPLIES 12

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:
It is fixed.
Since the sail switch and limit switch tested good, that left the igniter or control board. The control board was easier to do, so I ordered a new Dinosaur board.. I am very impressed with the quality of this part.
But it didn't fix it. But it did help me diagnosis it.
The green LED would not light up, but the fan would run. The Dinosaur instructions said that in this instance there would be something wrong in the sail/limit switch circuit.
So I retested the sail switch...It failed several times in a row. Then it passed several times, and then failed again. So I pried it apart and found that it was pretty much junk inside.
Got a new sail switch and all is well.
I was going to replace the original control board and sell the Dino board on Ebay to recoup some costs. But gave up on that as the wires were so short as to make reinstallation practically impossible. The Dino board has the connections on the other side, which allows just enough slack in the wires to make it doable.

Anyone wanna buy a used factory board cheap?:B
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
My 93 has two Hydroflame furnaces, both original, original control boards as well. I have replaced a burner assembly on one. I believe the weak link is the control boards. Start of every season I'll pull the boards, clean & re-install.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

N7SJN
Explorer
Explorer
Our control board was the culprit. Similar symptoms as yours same furnace mod., I believe the cost was ~$200.

Aussiecowdog
Explorer
Explorer
With the unit starting up, check for voltage across the gas solenoid, if you don't have voltage to open the valve, then you have either a terminal corrosion problem or the control board is bad. I had this problem and replaced the board for the fix. My unit is an Atwood, but the diagnostic would be the same.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
The fan could be dirty and not producing enough air flow to close the switch on the sail switch.

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Check the copper line to the furnace for a potential "oil trap" restricting gas flow.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The fan blower comes on so t-stat is working.....

Do you heard a 'clicking'......ignitor trying?

12V DC goes to module....when t-stat calls for heat power then goes to blower. When it comes up to speed sail switch closes and power goes thru sail switch and high temp limit switch and back to module. After a time delay (to purge) power from module goes to gas valve solenoids and at same to spark electrode (power to gas valves is only on for 6-8 secs) If no main flame and proof of main flame via signal sent back thru spark electrode then power shuts off

If no 'clicking' then power is not getting back to module (sail switch/high temp limit switch) OR power is not going to spark electrode OR spark electrode is grounded/out of alignment.
Could be high temp limit switch...located on chamber at the back.
Could be bad connection on module
Could be bad module

If you can access
Clean up module connector contact area----pull connector and use pencil eraser on contact area
Check for DC power out of sail-switch with blower running
Check for power at module on red (+) and yellow (-) with blower running

With furnace out
Check for continuity thru high temp limit switch
Check continuity of spark electrode high tension wire/cracked ceramic
Check spark electrode gap 1/8" and that it is positioned correctly
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottnSherrie
Explorer
Explorer
Random thoughts:
I would observe it while it tries to light. Do you see or here a spark? Do you smell gas? Could be a bad control board. Check for all connections to see if any are loose or dirty.
88 Gulf Stream 34' Sun Vista, Ford 460, Edelbrock Perfomer carb, Thorley headers
Ford F-250 crew cab 4X4, 6.0 turbo diesel
complete roof rebuild
daughter 19, son 16
US Army Desert Storm vets (both of us)
left: The Ol' Gal right: DW with White Lightnin'

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I hope so. Taking this thing out to work on it is a pain. And there is no way for me to bench test it. Gotta reinstall it to see if it's fixed.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Dang - That takes the easy stuff out of the equation. So now, I'm out of ideas. I'm sure somebody will be on here soon with some more helpful tips.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries are 1 day old. The regulator was replaced in May, and there is plenty of propane. I lit both the stove and the water heater.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you have very good battery voltage? I know this next question is way too obvious, but just to make sure... Is your gas supply turned on, and does your stove light up?

Had a similar problem in the past, and my gas regulator was bad. When I checked my stove, the flame was very low. There was not enough gas flow for the furnace to come on. The fan would run for 30-60 seconds, but when the furnace didn't light, the fan shut off.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)