cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda 2000i Carb Job With Photos Must Read!!!!!

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to share a bit of my time and knowledge of the Honda 2000 I generator. I know that this time of year we all want to get things started and dont want to have the hassle of needing our Honda and having it not work. Here is a 30 minute fix up that will get you going.
This is a simple Carb cleaning and maintenance.
First empty old fuel by tilting the genny over and getting all of the old stuff out of there.

First remove the side panel

Then remove the Air Cleaner cover. one flat head screw.

Using an 8mm socket remove the 2 nuts and 1 bolt.

Once the hardware is removed pull off the air clean box, intake manifold and the breather tube. These 3 parts can be removed in one big piece. You can see where the breather tube goes in photo below.

The breather tube runs into the engine body here.

All 3 parts removed and set aside.

First remove the fuel line.
Slide the Carb off of the two bolts that will remain in the block of the engine. I like to leave the cable attached. This is the Eco Throttle. If you remove it you will have a spring shoot off and if you do manage to find it you most likely won't figure out how to put it back without a trip to a Honda dealer. It's just easier to leave on.

Front side of Carb.

Engine with the parts removed. This is a good time to drain the oil and fill it back up.

These photos show the position of the vent tubes so you can see where they are form replacing. Go ahead and remove the tubes now. Using a 10mm socket remover the float bowl nut. It's the Brass one seen above in the middle of the float bowl.

You can now see the float. The float pivots on a pin it is simply slid out for removal of the float. The float moves up and down and shuts off the fuel to the bowl. The bowl will most likely show signs of rust and will need a good cleaning. There is an o-ring gasket there, you can usually reuse this gasket.

Here the float have been removed.

The main jet is in the tube shown. Use a skinny screw driver and remove the jet and 2 parts will fall out. These are almost always full of gunk. Use a Carb cleaner in a can and blow these parts out really good. Take extra time this is the heart of the Carb.

These are how the parts go back in. Order and direction is important.

At this point use the carb cleaner and spray all of the inner parts of the float area and spray ino any holes you see. Spray into the holes while moving throttle plates and choke plates. You basically want to exercise all moving parts and get the cleaner into everywhere.
At this point put everything back together on the carb in reverse order and put the vents tubes back on.
Slide the Carb back onto the 2 bolts and then run the vent tubes back into the Genset case. As shown below.

Shown about is the Carb back on with the tubes re-run.

These photos show the bolts going back in and the final steps to getting it back to running order.

At this point you can change the plug and give her a pull!!!

I hope this has been informative.

To those of you that will be attending the Mid Atlantic Truck Camper Rally Just ask and I can walk you though this in no time. And maybe throw in a quick seminar if enough folks are interested in seeing it done.
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

235 REPLIES 235

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
dreamco wrote:
bigfootford wrote:
dreamco wrote:
This morning I finally got some time to goof with my carb some more. After soaking it in good ole' WD-40 for 2 hours I was able to push the emulsion tube out with very little effort with a small flat head screwdriver from inside the throat. I then finished cleaning the entire card, changed out the spark plug, reassembled everything...three pulls and it starts and runs like new...no sputter, no miss...it's back to perfect. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR CONTRIBUTING IN THIS THREAD!

Best news this year!!!!

Did you find anything in the tube? Was the end of the tube that protrudes into the venturi area discolored?

Jim

The tube had your typical gluey crust of old hardened fuel clogging almost all the holes. I cleaned all the holes using a mini drill set from harbor freight. No discoloration anywhere though.

Wayne (Reddog1) and I did a mod on our honder's last year...
We installed an extended almost clear fuel line and added a glass filter found in auto parts places. He has experienced numerous carb problems, me, 3 times. My Honda is about 4 years old.

Last week we did an inspection of our fuel system....
His had a weird sediment, mostly liquid but like a syrup in the loop of the fuel line along with some in the filter. There was also some fine contaminants..

We put the gas/syrup in a clear bottle and removed as much of the gas as we could....The syrup was thick as molasses....We do not have a clue what it was but he was thankful that it had not entered his carb.

Wayne's honda probably has more hours on it that most of us...It was his primary source of shore power for a few years before he got solar.

The discoloration I was talking about is that the tip of the emulsion tube that protrudes into the venturi is gray in color.
We saw that with Wayne's tube....Initially his was difficult to remove if I recall.

The syrup really bothers me....I have older Briggs Stratton engines in everything... 2 riding mowers, rototiller, pressure washer, chipper shredder etc....I have not had a carb problem on any of those devices....I have never drained the tanks to take a look.

I have many old VW aircooled carbs that I have taken apart to rebuild..See lots of dry powder corrosion, never anything like what we saw. These carbs were all pre-mtbe/ethanol.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
Congratulations, you is now a Honder Carbinator reconditioner (HCR).

Wayne

Haha....thanks Wayne I couldn't have done it without you!

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Congratulations, you is now a Honder Carbinator reconditioner (HCR).

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
dreamco wrote:
This morning I finally got some time to goof with my carb some more. After soaking it in good ole' WD-40 for 2 hours I was able to push the emulsion tube out with very little effort with a small flat head screwdriver from inside the throat. I then finished cleaning the entire card, changed out the spark plug, reassembled everything...three pulls and it starts and runs like new...no sputter, no miss...it's back to perfect. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR CONTRIBUTING IN THIS THREAD!

Best news this year!!!!

Did you find anything in the tube? Was the end of the tube that protrudes into the venturi area discolored?

Jim

The tube had your typical gluey crust of old hardened fuel clogging almost all the holes. I cleaned all the holes using a mini drill set from harbor freight. No discoloration anywhere though.

bigfootford
Nomad II
Nomad II
dreamco wrote:

Best news this year!!!!

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
If I underestand correctly, the tube you want to remove is piece 12 (NOZZLE, MAIN (Honda Code 6727770) in the carb break down. If true, did you remove the piece 32 (JET SET, PILOT (#35) (Honda Code 1441609)? With piece 32 removed, you can insert a flat screwdriver in the throat of the carb, and using the flat side of the screwdriver, push the piece 12 down.

When looking at the diagram, find the top of 12 (emulsion tube) that tip will protrude into the inside of the venturi/throat of the carb..Remove 31 (jet) with a screwdriver. Just use the flat part of the screw driver and push 12 from the inside of the venturi. ..It will slide out enough to pull it out where 31 (jet) was screwed into.

Jim

I was able to fix my EU1000i by cleaning the carb and adjusting the fuel pilot screw, #5 in the diagram. The pilot screw has an anti-tamper cover on the screw that must be removed. The cover is glued on with green Loctite. Just heat the cover with solder iron and pry off. I had the governor bounce until I backed the fuel screw out to two turns and the generator ran smooth on the eco mode. The carb must be removed to make and adjustment to the pilot screw, so track your adjustments, I went ยฝ turn until the engine smoothed out, then ยผ turn fine adjustment. This is probably an adjustment that every Honda generator needs.
MM49

robert3
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to call a few local shops and see if any offer a carb cleaning via ultrasonic cleaning tank. Better shops will have one, and the tanks do a great job of getting into every possible part of the carb and cleaning out debris/junk. Might be the ticket for an otherwise stuck tube, especially vs. the cost of a new carb.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250 wrote:
Try soaking it in a can of "Berrymans Chem dip" can be found at local auto parts store. Or try a pair of needle nose pliers to grab it and rock it about.. Shouldn't have to drill it..

Good idea...is that "Chem Dip" mineral spirits?

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
racer4 wrote:
dreamco,

I had trouble getting the emulsion tube out of my carb. I was getting frustrated.

I thought about pushing it down, as has been suggested.

Instead I kept spraying carb cleaner at the tube from the bottom and top. Then sprayed other parts of the carb. Then sprayed the tube again. Repeat. Repeat. Suddenly the tube fell out into the bucket.

So keep spraying. I held the carb above a bucket to catch all the carb cleaner.

I'll give this a try...thanks racer!

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
jake2250's suggestion of soaking is one I thought about too.

I have seen one gallon cans of carb cleaner with a parts basket inside. Check the auto parts stores.

The only thing I hesitate about is whether the non-metal parts are OK to soak in carb cleaner for a prolonged time. Maybe someone else can offer advice on that.

Edit to add:
I know a small engine repair shop that my BIL has used several times for a gummed up carb. They soak the entire carb for a day or so.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

dreamco
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1 wrote:
dreamco wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
You have not answered the question, why do you need to remove the tube?

The "tube" / main nozzle and main jet is what tends to gum up and clog. You can not clear it out effectively unless it is removed from the port.

This is true. Are you convinced it is gummed up?
b
I say this, because I have had mine out a couple of times. I honestly cannot say it was a problem.

Before I spent $100 plus for a new carb, I would assemble it without having removed the tube. If it performed badly, I would open the carb, drill the tube out, and replace it. I think a $15 tube beats a $100 plus carb.

All good ideas that I intend to follow...buying a whole new carb will definitely be a last effort. I'm pretty sure its gummed up pretty good given how seized up in the port it seems to be.

racer4
Explorer
Explorer
dreamco,

I had trouble getting the emulsion tube out of my carb. I was getting frustrated.

I thought about pushing it down, as has been suggested.

Instead I kept spraying carb cleaner at the tube from the bottom and top. Then sprayed other parts of the carb. Then sprayed the tube again. Repeat. Repeat. Suddenly the tube fell out into the bucket.

So keep spraying. I held the carb above a bucket to catch all the carb cleaner.
Chris and Pat
2023 Ram 3500 Limited, Cummins, Aisin, dually, Auto Flex Rear Air Ride Suspension
2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
Try soaking it in a can of "Berrymans Chem dip" can be found at local auto parts store. Or try a pair of needle nose pliers to grab it and rock it about.. Shouldn't have to drill it..

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
dreamco wrote:
Reddog1 wrote:
You have not answered the question, why do you need to remove the tube?

The "tube" / main nozzle and main jet is what tends to gum up and clog. You can not clear it out effectively unless it is removed from the port.

This is true. Are you convinced it is gummed up?
b
I say this, because I have had mine out a couple of times. I honestly cannot say it was a problem.

Before I spent $100 plus for a new carb, I would assemble it without having removed the tube. If it performed badly, I would open the carb, drill the tube out, and replace it. I think a $15 tube beats a $100 plus carb.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke