cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda generator purchase help

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
I finally have decided to purchase a new generator. I'm going with the Honda EU2000i. Now I need to decide if the EU200i or the EU200i companion is the best choice. I will be using this at home for power outages and for camping. I'm replacing a older 2250 watt unit so I understand the limitations of the 2000 watt unit. Is there any advantage in using the companion as a solo? Or is getting the standard unit the better option until I decide if I need / want to use two units together. Thanks you you thought.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff
18 REPLIES 18

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
As simple as it gets.

15 to 30 adaptor.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Companion first and have been happy. It really doesn't matter which one you purchase first since you aren't going to parallel anything without the second generator. I just got a good deal on the Companion so it made sense for me to buy it first.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
So I got my new EU2000i companion. I looked at the owners manual and found the wiring diagram. The 30 amp twist lock is NOT protected by the circuit breaker. When I called HONDA (before my purchase) their tech insured me that both receptacle were protected by this breaker. When I called them after my purchase to discuss this they said that the 30 amp was protected by the inverter but if this protection is used repeatedly it will damage the inverter and they are expensive. This is not what I was told the day before. So I am returning the companion and picking up the standard unit that has both receptacles protected.

Update: I have the new EU2000i and I'm looking at the wiring diagram. I am glad to say that both receptacles ARE protected by the 20 amp circuit breaker
You can't go by what the HONDA support people tell you.
Jeff

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure if I did the right thing. Your opinions will be appreciated. Since I use my Honda 2000 to run my 7200 BTU A/C I made this adapter with the thought that it would allow the plug ins to run cooler and not over heat . I just paralleled both of the duplex outlets into one 30 amp and plug my 30 amp into it. That 30 amp runs from the front of RV, where the 2000ie is anchored to a Transfer switch. My regular shore line is separate. This way I can run the Generator while traveling.
">Picture 1">Picture 2
When making it I plugged both male into a dummy receptacle and used JB Weld and a spacer plus tie straps to hold in place. Perfect fit and it is cool.
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
So I got my new EU2000i companion. I looked at the owners manual and found the wiring diagram. The 30 amp twist lock is NOT protected by the circuit breaker. When I called HONDA (before my purchase) their tech insured me that both receptacle were protected by this breaker. When I called them after my purchase to discuss this they said that the 30 amp was protected by the inverter but if this protection is used repeatedly it will damage the inverter and they are expensive. This is not what I was told the day before. So I am returning the companion and picking up the standard unit that has both receptacles protected.
Jeff

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have both along with the parallel kit. Like most, I only use one most of the time. I do prefer the Companion. The twist lock adaptor is much nicer that the regular one, and it seems to be a tad more powerful because of it. I gotta force myself to use the regular one to try and keep the usage about the same.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the input. After reading all the information I went with the companion. The 30 amp receptacle does work in the sole mode. Both are protected by the breaker. The 30 amp twist lock will work well when used at home in the wiring configuration that I am using. And if I do need to use two units it will be easy to add the second unit.
Jeff

msiminoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
TNRIVERSIDE wrote:
Is there any advantage in using the companion as a solo? Or is getting the standard unit the better option until I decide if I need / want to use two units together.

I own two EU2000i's and I fail to see any benefit to having a "Companion" model at all. I certainly do not think there is any advantage to using the Companion solo.

The ONLY thing that the Companion has to offer is a 30A (L5-30R) twist lock receptacle which still needs a $20 adaptor to connect to a 30A RV plug... and it has a single 20A (5-20R) receptacle and no 12V charge outlet. For $100 more, you get less utility.

If you're only buying only one, I would suggest that you get a regular EU2000i and a pick up a $3 15A to 30A-RV adaptor !

IF you ever decide that need more than 1600W (continuous), IMO you would be better off having two regular EU2000i's. This gives you two discrete generators each with a pair of 20A receptacles (note: the EU2K's max output is 16.7A) and 12V battery charge outlet**. A simple paralleling box like the one I made (photo below) can be easily assembled with $30 worth of parts from your local hardware store... Then you can plug in your shore power cord and get the full 30A output.

Cheers,
-Mark

**There are lots of people who like to complain about the EU2000's measly 12V 8A charging circuit. Granted you're not going to do much actual charging with that... But I have successfully used my Honda's to charge a dozen or more times to charge a dead car's battery enough to get the engine started... Sometimes an 8A charger is all you need.
'04 Alpenlite Saratoga 935, 328W of solar, 300Ah Odyssey batt's, Trimetric, Prosine 2.0
05 Ram3500, Cummins,Vision 19.5 w/M729F's, Dynatrac Hubs, RR airbags w/ping tanks, Superhitch, Roadmaster Swaybar, Rancho RS9000XL
The Overlhander Blog

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I'm well aware that Honda says they will not mix. My local Honda dealer was surprised that they would. When you think about it, there is no reason that they would not, since they both have phase match capability. One thing that surprised me was that the excessive draw through the 30 amp receptacle on the 3000 has never overloaded its breaker. I've carefully monitored the heat at the outlet when running two ac's but no issues.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Some thoughts.
Yes the Honda 2000i regular outlet is rated for 20amps.
The plug 99% of the people use to plug into it is only rated for 15 amps (even if the cord is 12 gauge and rated for 20 amps).

While the generator can produce 18 amps

See the issue?
You can have a real problem drawing more current through the plug (NEMA 5-15) (and maybe cord) then it is rated for.

Personally I would get the Companion
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Mike,
Note bgum didn't write-Honda wrote. Notice the quotes. Possibly you should notify Honda that they are wrong and that you have experience to prove it. If you are right just think of the money that can be saved both in purchase price and operating costs. In either case your experience is interesting.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
(Please note: you can only parallel two identical units together.)

Not true. See this. Your Honda dealer may tell you this but it is just not true. I, as stated above, I have paralleled a 2000 and 3000 for many hours while tailgating. Using the 30 amp outlet on the 3000 I can actually run a 15k and a 13.5k air conditioner, as long as they don't try to start at the same time. If the 2000 should run out of gas or be shut down the 3000, by itself, will overload. You can even parallel three units, consisting of any mix of EU's. I'm not sure, but I don't think the Handi can be paralleled.

If this usage is likely to have any ill effects I have yet to see them. My EU3000is is almost 13 years old and I have two EU2000i units that are 8 years old. I probably have 500 or more hours running them mixed.

As far as the the necessity of the Companion goes, you can buy a set of parallel cables and build yourself a receptacle box for a 30 amp RV plug. Mine cost me about $40 plus the cost of the banana plug cables.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
"Double your power with Parallel Capability
Parallel capability is an additional benefit of inverter technology.

Using a special cable or kit, you can link two EU1000i, two EU2000i, two EU3000 Handi, or two EU3000is generators together to get as much as double the output. (Please note: you can only parallel two identical units together.)

This gives you extra power when you need it, without having to trade up for a larger, heavier generator. You get more power without sacrificing portability.

Honda also offers a special Companion version of the popular EU2000i with a built-in 30-amp receptacle. This model is designed specifically for parallel operation with another EU2000i. It's also perfect for RV and use with a transfer switch, where a 30A outlet might be preferable."

Read the Please Note at end of first para before purchase

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
I would get the standard EU2000i first. You may later decide to go another direction. You can even pair the standard EU2000i with an EU3000is if you decide you need more capacity. I found that I can actually run both of my ac units at the same time.