cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda Gensets as built in generator in r/v

suz155
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure this has been covered before, but, when I search for "Honda generators", I get a lot of hits and could't find what I was looking for. I've been looking at a lot of small class C and B r/v's and their noisy gensets. Why do none of them use the larger Honda gensets versus these loud gensets for a built in house generator? I have a small 2000i that I've used for years, in case of power failure, at my house and I love it. Thanks.
2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DST
Collecting memories, not things.
13 REPLIES 13

WILDEBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Yes that is a good installation. If I still had one of my older units I might do that. But now I am spoiled with my 7500 Quiet diesel.
Bill

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
the Only draw back is "Can't use while driving"

Not knocking it, but frequent refueling, need to carry fuel, need to go outside to pull it out and put it back, and worries about security would all be drawbacks for my use.

Jim, "Why do I wear loud socks? To keep my feet from falling asleep."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

MrWizard
notruffinit wrote:
I am one of those that put my 3000i on a slide and it works great. All I do is pull it out on the full extension slide, plug in the power cord and let it run. No exhaust or heat problem here. I don't know what the drawbacks are.

the Only draw back is "Can't use while driving"

heres what i did
new one

old one

i've been doing this for about 4 years
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
A lot (tho' not all) of the Onan's bad rep for noise is due to cheap RV makers taking the least costly route when installing them. Better sound deadening and vibration isolation in the compartment, and a muffler / resonator in the tailpipe would make a world of difference. I know this because I've done it on my Tiger's 2800, a notoriously noisy beast.

According to one former poster who was a fleet service manager, the RV-ready Hondas were little quieter than Onans, and far more complex (water cooled). Reliability was about the same. IMO, re-engineering a portable Honda for running in a compartment would be potential suicide for any but the most skilled. Putting it on a slide-out tray is fine, but still lacks the convenience of a built-in.

Jim, "Despite many complaints about the high cost of living, it remains the most popular option."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

hermy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Yamaha 3000i that I installed in my 5ver. Yes- you need to allow for cooling and exhaust BUT it has worked very well for us for about 5 years. No issues. I have used professional grade CO meters to confirm that we are not getting exhaust in the living space.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cooling,,, The honda inverter generator are fully enclosed units, Modifiying a class C's generator compartment to provide for cooling of such a generator might well not even be necessary. (That is enough cooling may be there) of if needed you need to put vents in the door, nothing more.

Exhaust: On a store bought one might violate the warranty but, If the unit were specifically purchased for RV use then it would be factory modified (Built to spec) so that is no cost either.

So why not use them.. $imple, they do not u$e them for the be$t of reason$ in their Opinion.. COST!!!

That said.. I run an Onan 5500 with a Gen-turi.. I have chatted with people while standing close enough to a Yahama EF-2400i to feel the exhaust on my leg.

I did not have to rasie my voice and neither did they, half load.

Onan 5500 with Genturi, With my hand on the GEN-TURI to show how cool it was.. Again at around half load.. I did not have to raise my voice. Roughly the same noise level .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

notruffinit
Explorer
Explorer
I am one of those that put my 3000i on a slide and it works great. All I do is pull it out on the full extension slide, plug in the power cord and let it run. No exhaust or heat problem here. I don't know what the drawbacks are.
'11 Ram 3500 Cummins
'12 Cameo 34SB3

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer
eu3000i built into a class C
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
suz155 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Two reasons: cooling, and exhaust.

No modification exists that could cool a Honda and exhaust correctly?

No "mods" that would not "void" the warranty.

Seriously, To do this correctly would require adding an external exhaust pipe to the gen which would route the exhaust down and out of the built in gen cabinet.

Additionally you would HAVE to provide some serious ventilation method which would FORCE the hot air from the gen out of the compartment.

Then you would have to contend with the gas tank in the same compartment with heat and exhaust..

Some folks have modded portable gens to work in a gen compartment with limited success. To me, it seems to be more work, hassle and potential danger than it is worth..

A few have done it like a drawer, pull the gen out and operate it but it would still have a lot of drawbacks in the end.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
suz155 wrote:
no modification exists that could cool a Honda and exhaust correctly?
I really don't know.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

suz155
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

No modification exists that could cool a Honda and exhaust correctly?
2002 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DST
Collecting memories, not things.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

This. Honda does (or did) make a couple RV generators you could swap out the OEM gen set with if you wanted. The EU series would work installed for the reasons 2oldman said unless you did some home made customizations.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman