cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Honda needs replacing- opinions on Yamaha 2400 and others

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 5 year old Honda EU 2000 is no longer producing power. Runs fine, but no power. about $700 to fix. I am going to replace it but am now considering a bigger genny that will allow me to run my 13,500 btu AC the 1-2 times a year where I don't have power.

I'm not sure that I want a 3000 watt genny as 90 percent of the use will come during the winter when we spend 3 nights (4-3 times a year) in our fish house while ice fishing. 2000 watts is plenty for satellite tv and the pizza cooker.

However, I have noticed for about $350 more, I could get a Yamaha 2,400 watt generator. Will this generator run off my extended run fuel tank?

For those that have purchased one of these, have you been able to run your 13,500 AC's.

Another thought is purchasing two champion 2000 watt inverter generators for around $1,100 and could then run them parallel. How long have these been out and what are the reviews on them. They would spend a lot of time running in -10 to -25 degree temps.
9 REPLIES 9

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
grandpaswagon wrote:
Jayco23FB wrote:
Not sure how much money you want to spend but I like using (2) yamaha 2000s.
For 90 percent of the time only one is used. If I want AC I run them together with a parallel connector. I also installed a hard start kit in my AC unit (easy install and cheap)so I can run the generators in the econ mode when using the AC.
I also have hour meters on the generators so I can equalize thier usage. Works for me. The generators are light and easy to handle as well very fuel efficant.

This guy nailed it. Once you go larger than the 2000 types, they aren't very portable, and also they don't fit in smaller spaces. Need one for small loads - use one. Need 2 - parallel them. BTW - Champion makes a very nice and quiet 2000 for 1/2 the price of red and blue that can be run in parallel.

Will the champions run on an extended fuel tank?

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
The Yamaha's do not have a fuel pump and will not use a Honda-style extended tank. Guys will rig up electric fuel pumps and elevate the tank to make them work. I have never seen one that works OK for me. Chino

Horizon170
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a 2600 watt that isn't that much bigger than a Honda2K.
http://www.lifanpowerusa.com/inverter-generators/energy-storm-2600ier/
Marvin

2010 Coachman Freelander 22TB on a
2008 Sprinter/Freightliner chassis
1995 Geo Tracker (Toad)

grandpaswagon
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco23FB wrote:
For 90 percent of the time only one is used. If I want AC I run them together with a parallel connector. I also installed a hard start kit in my AC unit (easy install and cheap)so I can run the generators in the econ mode when using the AC.
I also have hour meters on the generators so I can equalize thier usage. Works for me. The generators are light and easy to handle as well very fuel efficant.

This guy nailed it. Once you go larger than the 2000 types, they aren't very portable, and also they don't fit in smaller spaces. Need one for small loads - use one. Need 2 - parallel them. BTW - Champion makes a very nice and quiet 2000 for 1/2 the price of red and blue that can be run in parallel.

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
It has been out a while now, and I've yet to hear anyone complaining about it. It isn't a red/blue, but it is the next best thing. I wonder how well its Eco-Throttle mode will help with the fuel use. On my 3000 watt Yamaha, a 3 gallon tank of gas lasts ~20 hours when doing just charging of a battery, although add a 15kBTU A/C, and it drops to 8 hours.

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
My Yamaha 2400 runs my 13,500 BTU A/C marginally. I have a SUPCO hard start capacitor installed in the A/C. At home at 4000' elevation the generator reliably runs the A/C. At high elevations the generator has a harder time and the breaker will trip from time to time. I rarely "need" the A/C, so it is not much of a concern for me.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
mlts22 wrote:

Have you considered the Champion 3100 watt inverter generator, model 75531i? This is a manual, pull-start genset, runs about $960 + shipping from Amazon, and almost definitely would run your A/C. If it doesn't, an addition of a hard-start capacitor should remedy things.

I did briefly consider the champion 3100. Why I decided against it was gas usage. 90% of the time while supplying power to the fish house, a 2000 watt generator gives us all we need. We can currently run the Honda from Thursday night Through noon on Sunday and still have gas left in our extended run tank (5 gallons). Was concerned the 3100 would consume a lot more gas for the few times we would actually need all the power.
How long has that model been out and has it been getting good reviews?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of discussion about the 2400 watt Yamaha and running a 13500 BTU A/C. Some A/Cs will start. Others will overload the generator.

Have you considered the Champion 3100 watt inverter generator, model 75531i? This is a manual, pull-start genset, runs about $960 + shipping from Amazon, and almost definitely would run your A/C. If it doesn't, an addition of a hard-start capacitor should remedy things.

It isn't a red/blue, but people have said it is decently quiet and the price is about the same as one EU2000is. Champion also has top notch service/support.