cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hooking up 30A at home

eldel
Explorer
Explorer
I'd really like to be able to run the AC on my rig when I've got it parked outside the house before we take off on a trip. The 110V house supply isn't enough but I do have a 220V / 30A outlet in the garage which is a 14-30 outlet.

I'm looking and reading but I don't see anywhere where I can get a 14-30 to TT-30 converter. 14-50 to TT-30 yes. Is this even possible (assuming that the 14-50 converter just splits 220/50 into 2 x 110/25) or am I looking at wiring in a new circuit?
44 REPLIES 44

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
coolmom42 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
A NEMA 14-30 is a 30 amp 120/240 device. A standard 50 amp cord body style adapter will not plug into it as the neutral pin is not long enough.
This configuration is used for a dryer. It is four wire, two hots, neutral and ground.
I would suggest if not being used any longer would be to change it out to a fifty amp NEMA 14-50 receptacle, then use a standard 50 amp to 30 amp RV adapter.
If receptacle is needed for some other device, add another box and install a standard 30 TT receptacle. Connect one led of the circuit, neutral and ground. Insure it is wired 120 volts.

Is this a scenario where an electrician could add a box running the wiring off my dryer receptacle?

Am I correct in thinking the dryer should not be running while the RV is plugged in, or the circuit breaker could trip?

it is possible the breaker will trip from overcurrent depending on the AC draw. However I suspect it may also be against NEC or local code, the dryer is a dedicated circuit and may only allow one outlet. The RV outlet would likely be onsidered a dedicated device as well and breaker would need to be sized to cover both loads at once. Total load is limited to something like 80% of breaker rating.

Best advice if you want to do this is to get an electrician who is knowlegeable about the RV-30 outlet as well so he doesn't wire it as a 220V circuit!

Good point about the code. I will need to sell this house at some point in the future, so that's important. All of this is fairly close to the breaker box, and there is plenty of room for a dedicated 110 V 30 amp in it.

I will tell the electrician exactly what I need, very clearly, and then check it myself before plugging in. ๐Ÿ˜„
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The receptacle in question, is it being used for dryer? If so he dryer would need to be un-plugged to use for RV. If this works, to unplug dryer, you could change the dryer pigtail out to a range 50 amp.
If it is not being used, it would be good.
Big question pops into my mind, did someone install a four wire receptacle on a three wire system. If so all bets are off!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
enblethen wrote:
A NEMA 14-30 is a 30 amp 120/240 device. A standard 50 amp cord body style adapter will not plug into it as the neutral pin is not long enough.
This configuration is used for a dryer. It is four wire, two hots, neutral and ground.
I would suggest if not being used any longer would be to change it out to a fifty amp NEMA 14-50 receptacle, then use a standard 50 amp to 30 amp RV adapter.
If receptacle is needed for some other device, add another box and install a standard 30 TT receptacle. Connect one led of the circuit, neutral and ground. Insure it is wired 120 volts.

Is this a scenario where an electrician could add a box running the wiring off my dryer receptacle?

Am I correct in thinking the dryer should not be running while the RV is plugged in, or the circuit breaker could trip?

it is possible the breaker will trip from overcurrent depending on the AC draw. However I suspect it may also be against NEC or local code, the dryer is a dedicated circuit and may only allow one outlet. The RV outlet would likely be onsidered a dedicated device as well and breaker would need to be sized to cover both loads at once. Total load is limited to something like 80% of breaker rating.

Best advice if you want to do this is to get an electrician who is knowlegeable about the RV-30 outlet as well so he doesn't wire it as a 220V circuit!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:

Do THIS^^^^^^^
Simple swap of receptacles
And be done with it!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy a dryer cord and a 30A RV female receptacle and make an adapter if there isnโ€™t one available.

Hereโ€™s one but kind of expensive if you ask me. https://www.amazon.com/AC-WORKS-Generator-Adapter-4-Prong/dp/B07WN9ZZ6W?th=1

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
dougrainer wrote:
I would get a replacement RV MALE 50 amp end and install the standard 30 amp shore cord extension.
The 14-30 connector has an L shaped neutral, 50a has a flat blade.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
eldel wrote:
I'd really like to be able to run the AC on my rig when I've got it parked outside the house before we take off on a trip. The 110V house supply isn't enough but I do have a 220V / 30A outlet in the garage which is a 14-30 outlet.

I'm looking and reading but I don't see anywhere where I can get a 14-30 to TT-30 converter. 14-50 to TT-30 yes. Is this even possible (assuming that the 14-50 converter just splits 220/50 into 2 x 110/25) or am I looking at wiring in a new circuit?

TT-30 outlets are 120 volts. DO NOT PLUG INTO A 30 amp 240 volt outlet or you will regret it.

If the outlet is 4 wire then an adapter can be fabricated
if not.. You will need an electrician to re-wire it and replace it with a proper TT-30 (That can be done. it's very easy but since there is a danger I hesitate to tell you how)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
I would get a replacement RV MALE 50 amp end and install the standard 30 amp shore cord extension. Cut the MALE end off the 30 amp extension cord. Install the 30 amp 3 wires to the 50 amp replacement head. Hot to one of the L1 or L2 of the replacement 50 amp end and then install the neutral and ground on the correct pins on that 50 amp replacement head. He now has a correct adapted plug and extra 30 amp cord to plug into his RV. Doug

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I did 30 amp at my house. Home Depot had the RV 30amp plug receptacle and I used 10 gauge wire, as I recall.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
eldel wrote:
I'm looking and reading but I don't see anywhere where I can get a 14-30 to TT-30 converter (adapter).

NEMA 14-30 to TT30

or it you want one with a pigtail

NEMA 14-30 to TT30

Those are generator adapters that twist lock. I assume the OP needs a straight blade 14-30P.

I would get a 30-TT pigtail and wire it to a Hubble 14-30 plug.
One hot of the plug will not be connected.

For a longer cord get a 30 amp RV extension and cut the male connector off.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
eldel wrote:
I'm looking and reading but I don't see anywhere where I can get a 14-30 to TT-30 converter (adapter).

NEMA 14-30 to TT30

or it you want one with a pigtail

NEMA 14-30 to TT30

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
Put in a new 10 gauge 30 amp 120 circuit.