cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot water issues

socal
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,been gone for a while but back and back to the RV. Question I have has got me stumped. Hot water heater is gas,fires up and heating water. By pass is closed and when I open shower I get cold coming from both handles. I have let the hot run for at least 2 gallons but still no hot water from shower or faucets. Pump only cycles when I open faucet. Suggestions please. Thanks. David
14 REPLIES 14

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Detroit stinks too. I know, I live 60 miles from there and I can smell it....lol
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

socal
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to the group for the input.

David
At Slab city heading to Hotsprings BLM tomorrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

socal
Explorer
Explorer
BINGO. Hot water now, I did not realize there is a by pass valve for both hot and cold. The by pass was difficult to get to. My confusion was thinking only one valve. One on the blue line and one on the red line. Thanks for the help guys. On the road now traveling Detroit to Socal and needed a shower bad. That said I'm sitting in Slab city and everyone stinks here. ??
Thanks again.

David

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
You could have a stuck closed check valve on the output of the hot water tank. In order for water to come from the hot water tank, that check valve must be open.

However, you are not getting any hot water from any hot faucet in the rig, but you are getting a full flow of cold water only.

If you have a thermometer, measure the temperature of the cold water coming from a cold tap. Measure the temperature of the hot water coming from the hot tap. If there is a difference, you are getting some hot water mixed.

Measure the amount of volume from the cold tap, and the hot tap in a measured amount of time. This might tell you about a restriction in the hot flow. If you find they are not the same but much different, perhaps you have a partially stuck shut check valve on the output of your HWT.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water in water heater HOT but no hot water at faucets etc

Bypass on backside of water heater tank is still open allowing cold water to flow into hot water lines

Showers not turned off by hot/cold knobs.just shut off via button on shower head handle. This allows cold to mix with hot inside the shower faucet

Both conditions above are IF water flows out of a faucet hotside and it is luke warm/cold

IF NO water flows out of a faucet hotside then check valve on WH Tank Hot out has failed and isn;t allowing hot water out of WH Tank
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

socal
Explorer
Explorer
Outside shower off and bypass for outside shower shut still only cold water.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
You stated the bypass is closed. Double check the bypass valve positions because it sounds like you have the water heater bypassed like when winterizing. The valve may have three positions vice two. Could be two directions AND off. If the position of the two valves were mismatched, that would cause no hot water flow, too.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Verify inside shower valves are off.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Mix valve on outside shower is normally located on the shower head. Closing the valves will or should do the same.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

socal
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
socal...just make sure the handles for the outside shower are in the "off" position. If left in the on position(even without flow) they will act as a mixing valve and cool your hot water.

Ok I'll check it out.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
socal...just make sure the handles for the outside shower are in the "off" position. If left in the on position(even without flow) they will act as a mixing valve and cool your hot water.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

socal
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
If equipped make sure mix valve is closed on outside shower.
Verify water heater bypass is actually closed. Make sure other valves on water heater are open.

Mix valve? Not familiar with that valve but do have an out side shower. I'll check the shower. Where might the mix valve be located? Thanks.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If equipped make sure mix valve is closed on outside shower.
Verify water heater bypass is actually closed. Make sure other valves on water heater are open.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow