cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Marien Starting Battery =/= Deep cell battery

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
I was given a Marine Starting battery. I keep killing it. I then learn that is because it is not a deep cell battery.

At least I now know.
33 REPLIES 33

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
azrving,

That depends on the design. My fridge on propane runs through approximately 35 amp-hours per day. Duty cycle is 2:3.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
azrving wrote:
Do you have a propane refrigerator?

yup

If I tell you that the fridge pulls X amps the nitpickers will be on it like flies on stink arguing over a milliamp. Your propane fridge circuit board and gas valve use 12 v all the time. Amp draw goes up a little when the the gas valve opens.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
You get a Francis Freas hydrometer.

http://freasglass.com/

or

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-4619-Professional-Battery-Hydrometer/dp/B0050SFVHO/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotiv...

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
$1.99 three light indicator

Like a weatherman licking his finger, holding it up to the wind and declaring "cold snap coming next week".

Or a backyard chemist suddenly yelling "RUN !"

Or using an hourglass instead of a speedometer when a cop is on your tail

Wanna see an RV manufacturer scream? Tell him something is going up s dollar in price.

Wall monitors for voltage may cost five dollars. They are not worth 99 cents

Ok, so what do I get? leme guess something expensive that won't really tell me much more....

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Do you have a propane refrigerator?

yup

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
bikendan wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
azrving wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
azrving wrote:
What voltages are you seeing as you use it? Have you checked the gravity?

I had it tested and it is good. But I kept killing it. Tells it is still a good battery, but not up for what I need it for.

Maybe you need more than one. Even a true deep cycle may not help you if you try to pull too many amp hours. I run six GC2 and use all they have. Do an energy audit.

Hoow do I do one? Only thing besides the lights is the furnace.

Suggest you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life". Your battery is used for more than just lights.

Besides the CO/smoke detector there is nothing else, unless you count the odd time I turn the pump on.

I have no other powered things. I don't have things that have residual power consumption.

The radio clock uses power and some Dometic fridges have a Climate Control feature that drains battery power when not plugged into shore power.

None of those on my trailer.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
$1.99 three light indicator

Like a weatherman licking his finger, holding it up to the wind and declaring "cold snap coming next week".

Or a backyard chemist suddenly yelling "RUN !"

Or using an hourglass instead of a speedometer when a cop is on your tail

Wanna see an RV manufacturer scream? Tell him something is going up s dollar in price.

Wall monitors for voltage may cost five dollars. They are not worth 99 cents

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
bikendan wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
azrving wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
azrving wrote:

I had it tested and it is good. But I kept killing it. Tells it is still a good battery, but not up for what I need it for.

Maybe you need more than one. Even a true deep cycle may not help you if you try to pull too many amp hours. I run six GC2 and use all they have. Do an energy audit.

Suggest you Google "the 12 Volt Side of Life". Your battery is used for more than just lights.

Besides the CO/smoke detector there is nothing else, unless you count the odd time I turn the pump on.

I have no other powered things. I don't have things that have residual power consumption.

The radio clock uses power and some Dometic fridges have a Climate Control feature that drains battery power when not plugged into shore power.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
azrving wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
azrving wrote:

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
swimmer_spe wrote:
azrving wrote:
swimmer_spe wrote:
azrving wrote:

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Trusting the 3 light indicator may be unwise. For flooded jars the best way to check state of charge is to measure specific gravity by using a hydrometer.

What converter is in the RV?

I suggest changing to LED lights.

swimmer_spe wrote:
My trailer has a 3 light indicator. When it gets to red, I stop using power and recharge.
Regards, Don

swimmer_spe
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Forklift batteries can be drained and destroyed

The succinct problem is like trying to manage a checking account without having the ability to read and write. I can't be overdrawn I have checks left.

The OP needs meters and the knowledge that enables him to use them effectively. A battery voltage cut out switch would work as a poor substitute.

My trailer has a 3 light indicator. When it gets to red, I stop using power and recharge.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Forklift batteries can be drained and destroyed

The succinct problem is like trying to manage a checking account without having the ability to read and write. I can't be overdrawn I have checks left.

The OP needs meters and the knowledge that enables him to use them effectively. A battery voltage cut out switch would work as a poor substitute.