cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how long to lower temps When living quarters at 100

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did a two hour pool today in 90 to 97° weather. When we got to our destinations the interior of the fifth wheel was pretty much 100° all over according to my infrared heat gun. After two hours it only dropped a couple of degrees. I have two 15,000 BTU air conditioners. One in the bedroom, one in the garage of the toy hauler. At first I had the turbo cool closed so it was using the ducts. But after having a little success cooling it down. I open the turbo cool in both the bedroom in the garage hoping to cool them down and pull the heat out of the walls and then try to cool down the living room dining room area later this evening when it cools down.

Just wondering if this is normal for two 15,000 BTU air conditioners in a 43 foot unit, or if there might be something wrong with the units
31 REPLIES 31

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just to dispel some myths....37' non slide well insulated motorhome, two 15,000 btu roof top airs, awnings out, shares down, exterior window shades and a misting system on patio awning. The place, Pahrump, Nevada, the outside temp, hovering at about 115, inside RV, 68 degrees!

I've owned our motor home for close to 20 years and I travel in hot months....so it's not a one time occurrence!

The myth dispelled....that air can only cool down 20 degrees below outside temp! The accepted rule of thumb is 20 degrees less than the Ambien air entering your return air duct of your unit( up to its max cooling ability). That's my real world experience and my I understanding as to how it all works....your results will, in fact, vary!! LoL
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

dtappy3353
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't know you could cool the trailer by plugging it into the generator. If I start the generator and plug the electrical cord into it...this will have no impact on my truck connection for brake, directional or marker lights?

Sure would be nice to have a cool trailer to stop and have lunch like others....

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Not an AC guy Delta T of 20 is considered normal. First thing to do is make sure filter and more importantly evaporator and condenser coils are clean. I have seen good AC units replaced because of cruddy coils!

What I do is open a roof vent to give the hot air someplace to go, I leave one open for 20 to 30 minutes and sometimes when I forget a lot longer!

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
opnspaces wrote:
What he's saying is that at the best of times the temperature difference between the incoming air and the treated air is 20 degrees F.
I've heard this before, even from HVAC guys, and it's just not true. 20 degrees difference refers to the best an RV air can do is keep the *entire coach* at 20F below ambient.

Unless I have some sort of magic a/c, yours should also measure 50+ degrees or so at all times. I measured mine with 90+ ambient. Put your hand on your car or RV a/c vent. It's a lot colder than 75.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
20 degrees is about tops.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
2oldman wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Measure the air temp at the return side of the unit versus the output side. If the return temp is say 95, and the output side is 75ish then the units are doing all they can do.
At 75 it will take forever. Mine's 55, constantly. I measured it.

What he's saying is that at the best of times the temperature difference between the incoming air and the treated air is 20 degrees F. So if the incoming air is 95 the air back out is 75. As the RV starts to cool down the air cools. So incoming air at 90 conditioned air is 70.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
43 foot RV whether 5th or Motorhome requires 3 roof AC units in hot weather. Doug

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I had a small black class-c and even in 120 desert temps with camper sitting all day unattended the AC would cool it in just minutes.
Answers are as varied as are the number of campers out there...

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
Measure the air temp at the return side of the unit versus the output side. If the return temp is say 95, and the output side is 75ish then the units are doing all they can do.
At 75 it will take forever. Mine's 55, constantly. I measured it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
2 A/C units for an RV of that size is going to provide minimal cooling. If a 3rd A/C unit is an option it will make a dramatic improvement if you plan to do a lot of hot weather camping. If that's not an option or you don't do that kind of heat too often then running the genset and A/C at least a few hours before arrival will help a lot. I would use the air dump option during travels and then return to ducted A/C when you are going to occupy the unit.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had a 38 foot class A. My wife choose the outside color (kind of brown and green) and the two 13,500s did not stand a chance of keeping it cool. I upgraded to a pair of 15000s and still not much improvement. Just not enough cool...
I learned to "Siesta" in the afternoons.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing I've done when the sun is just plain unrelenting,where possible....spray the RV down with the hose. I know some places would frown on this but in places where they don't mind, it does help. Wet down the area around the RV too...as in gravel/dirt.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
For a heat soaked RV it is common to take an extended period to cool down. I figure four+ hours after sundown before you feel a chill. Never turn the A/C off in those conditions.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Having a veritable environmental lab's worth of recording instruments on a wall I notice that the humidity must drop before the temperature starts to move downward.
The temperature starts dropping very slowly once humidity reaches 60%. If enough BTU extraction is provided, the temp drop increases once the humidity reaches 50%.
But ceiling and wall Delta T will offset temp gain. The main. Benefit being a reduction in humidity. After I connected an 80-pint dehumidifier the cooldown was faster. But that Delta T and percentage of humidity makes simple calculations difficult.
My casita under construction is going to be firred out in 2x4 with closed cell foam. It's all shaded under a large Parrota tree.
When living in the tropics in a bare concrete dwelling life means the school of hard knocks. My bus cools down much faster at night. I parked it cross ways to the tradewinds.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Heat soak.....
Walls, floors, cabinets, ceiling, furniture etc etc

Dumping the cool air directly downward will bring temps down quicker due to the volume of cool air

THAT is why when we are traveling in HOT temps......our A/C is on via our generator
Nice to have cool 5vr when stopping for lunch and when setting up at CG

Winter travel...furnace is on
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31