cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Much Solar ? First Hand Report

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Just got set up here in Quartzsite, two 100 watt solar panels on my receiver hitch mounted polar mount, moving it 3 times during the day.
Panes were partly shaded by an old power pole till 9 am, then full sun all day. Solar display was blinking by 2pm, batts near full charge. We are a little conservative w/ led lites etc, but still burn sat tv at least 6 hrs a day.
This 200 watts (190 actually) it more than enuff for us, ......if we can depend on the sun even 50% of the time.
All this hype about voltage drop,......undersize wiring, etc etc, is a serious waste of time IMO,
......my voltmeters looked better when I got up this morning, than they have ever looked running my generator. I am thrilled w/ solar here in AZ. I wish I could be 1/2 this thrilled in Oregon ! :))
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.
52 REPLIES 52

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
That a poly panel "wakes up" before daybreak is a good thing, it wipes out the parasitic drag on the battery early on, and covers it with a surplus right at start up.
Yeah that's really good info there. Sells me on poly.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Used MH 1 yr ago, 2 batts not labeled at all, but are 2 yrs old, and are 27s I think. I'd guesstimate about 50 AHs a day. Lots of sat tv, but all led, and no 12v heat.
It was a shakey solar day yesterday. reminds you that 200 watts is not too much. But before the day was over I almost broke even.....I think, accordion to the voltmeters this morning.

These are 105 amp hour rated.

diehard group 27 deep cycle RV battery.

Assume yours might be a be 95 amp hour each? Assume 190 amp hours and you are using 50 -55 a day. About 70% maybe 75% SOC when you call it a night and turn off the TV, a bit more at daybreak? That's barely a sweat on your batteries, no wonder a genny has such trouble in that app with your charge controller on board. 65 to 90% daily is probably troublesome.

What does your voltmeter read at O dark thirty before your solar panels start kicking in?

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Gotta watch out for those "accordian volt meters". Luv speelchek! I don't think satellite tv receivers are easy on the juice consumption, last I checked. 3 amps an hour or so. Another 3 or 4 for the tv, depending on the size of the tv. Call it 6amps an hour watched, plus water pump, plus lights plus parasitic consumption of 15 to 18 amps every 24 hours, maybe 12 in your case, cause daylight wipes out 12 of those with the solar panels for a net gain. That a poly panel "wakes up" before daybreak is a good thing, it wipes out the parasitic drag on the battery early on, and covers it with a surplus right at start up.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Used MH 1 yr ago, 2 batts not labeled at all, but are 2 yrs old, and are 27s I think. I'd guesstimate about 50 AHs a day. Lots of sat tv, but all led, and no 12v heat.
It was a shakey solar day yesterday. reminds you that 200 watts is not too much. But before the day was over I almost broke even.....I think, accordion to the voltmeters this morning.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
RJ, what are you running for batteries/Amp hours with your set up, and how much usage per 24 hours are you estimating you're taking as SOC come daybreak?

Two 12 volt 110 amps each? Like Group 31's or ?

russgary
Explorer
Explorer
I am using 980 watts on an all electric rig, electric fridge Cook top etc. This charges a 400 amp hr AGM battery pack. The battery pack reaches saturation on most days mostly due to the very high charge acceptance rate of the agms . A vintage DC ammeter I installed will show as much as 70 amps. The panels are flat and fixed and the size was chosen by available roof space 7X14 feet.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
NinerBikes wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27422525.cfm

I think you linked it right back to this thread, the beginning? Was that your intent, or did you have another thread you started when you first bought and built that unit? I am thinking of maybe putting a 1 1/4" hitch on the bumper of my 21 foot travel trailer for a mount like that. Where did you get the mount from?

I just ordered a 1 1/4" receiver hitch that will fit on my bumper here, hope I got a good price.

----------------------------------------------------
Hitch looks good, plenty good for 1 panel for sure.
In reality, I haven't encountered any serious wind w/ my panel setup yet. But I can't see it going very far, hopefully ! ๐Ÿ™‚
The link is correct, but placed on the wrong thread !!
That's happening more and more lately. ๐Ÿ™‚
------------------------------------------------------

Curt 90100 4" trailer bumper hitch receiver.
Rich

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Wouldn't it be nice to look out the window and adjust your panels with a toggle switch... just a thought.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I made the polar mount from a swivel caster wheel, w/o the wheel. It is kinda crude and heavy, but works so good that I plant to rebuild it when I get home.
And I would be tempted to install one of the automatic 12v actuator kits while I'm at it.
Rich

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
JiminDenver wrote:
Niner

be careful with your trailers bumper. A set up like this would put considerable torque on the bumper especially if a wind caught the panels right. RJ is using a real hitch connected to his frame.

No worries, I can have something fabricated to do likewise.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Niner

be careful with your trailers bumper. A set up like this would put considerable torque on the bumper especially if a wind caught the panels right. RJ is using a real hitch connected to his frame.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
That's a fine looking setup RJs, wish I had one...
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27422525.cfm

I think you linked it right back to this thread, the beginning? Was that your intent, or did you have another thread you started when you first bought and built that unit? I am thinking of maybe putting a 1 1/4" hitch on the bumper of my 21 foot travel trailer for a mount like that. Where did you get the mount from?

I just ordered a 1 1/4" receiver hitch that will fit on my bumper here, hope I got a good price.

Curt 90100 4" trailer bumper hitch receiver.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the report RJ... I'm thinking my received training from all you guys is about to come into place here...

When I first started gathering SOLAR info it was all over the place what was working great an what wasn't...

When you narrowed it all down to actual use then the story always changed...

I got a chuckle about the Shadow of the pole hehe... The shadow almost looks like a wind generator is mounted on the top of the pole...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS