cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to install RCA jacks for outdoor speakers?

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of actually installing speakers which requires cutting, drilling and running wire all over the place, I have a very convenient location to install a couple jacks that I'll use with portable speakers.

I've been unable to find an actual product designed for this. I've thought of a few Disney fabrications, but figured I should ask here first. A gentleman at the local RV store suggested using a couple outdoor coax plates and buying F connectors at Radio Shack. Unless somebody can point me in a different direction, I'm leaning that way.

And just to nip it in the bud, don't try to explain to me the error of my ways, disturbing my neighbors, etc. I'm very respectful that way and rarely have neighbors where I "camp" anyhow.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE
17 REPLIES 17

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Here you go- 1/4" weather resistant covers.

Where can I get toilet seat covers like that? ๐Ÿ˜‰
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I like the metal covers. They won't give mice yet another entrance to the rig.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go- 1/4" weather resistant covers.

Reliable, spring-loaded cover effectively seals front panel bushing openings from dust and dirt when mating plugs are not connected to jack. This cover mounts onto conventional threaded bushing jacks, up to 3/8" diameter. A nut seals tightly against the rubber washer when cover is closed.
-- Chris Bryant

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
C CRANE sells on of these wireless transmitter where you can plug it into any speaker jack of any radio and then pick it up with outside with any portable stereo FM portable radio. Im sure WALMART and others have something similar

If it were me I would get one of these F-type dual TV weather proof flip lid boxes like someone here suggested already. You need one smal hole going into the trailer. You could either adapt the plate for RCA jacks or find a F-Connector to RCA Jack adapter from Radio Shack.

I use these type flip lid connector plates for alot of my outside Ham radio connections...

You can remove the F-connector and adapter to almost any type connector from Radio Shack.

My OFF-ROAD POPUP solves this with two mounted weather proof speakers in a larger hole in the side of the trailer on the awning side.

My JENSEN fader slide switch selects two stereo speakers inside the trailer and then fades to the outside speakers or runs both sets of stereo speakers in the middle.

Just my thoughts
Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't use RCA jacks- I would use either 1/4" or 1/8" jacks. You can buy rubber plugs for the 1/4" jacks.
-- Chris Bryant

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
These guys look like they may have outdoor RCA jacks:

Outdoor stuff

Though bluetooth will get out through your window openings just fine. Aluminum RV's don't keep 2.4 GHz in because of all the openings.

Jim

renoman69
Explorer
Explorer
If your music is on a mobile device there is always THIS
2009 Jayco Eagle Superlite 25.5RKS
2008 Silverado 2500HD Z71 4x4 Duramax/Allison
Reese 15K slider
Honda EU2000I,
270 watts of Kyocera solar
Blue Sky 3024i MPPT controller
450 AHs of Trojan power
Iota DLS-75/IQ4 converter

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are lots of Dual RCA jack plates, Radio Shack used to carry them (Do not know if they still do) Most electronics stores still do

If you want a "Full size box" type mounting plate just get a common electrical outlet box with a blank cover and drill the cover.

Personally.. I'd use 1/4 inch phone plugs instead of RCA jacks, easier to attach and work with , better connections (in my not very humble opinion) but if the speakers come with RCA's... well that's the way to do it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Two coaxial fittings mounted on lexan plate (RCA phono jacks could be done the same):

Weatherstrip on back of plate:

Through hole in wall cavity:
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

docj
Explorer
Explorer
caberto wrote:
Camp, Forrest, Camp! wrote:
Do you already have the speakers you are using? There are some nice wireless speakers and I just got a Bluetooth speaker that I love.

I think the RV dealer suggestion makes sense and is easy.

+1. Bluetooth would be a great way to wirelessly play your mp3 music anywhere. We just picked up a JBL/Harman wireless speaker that's small but sounds great. It's called the Flip. Can work with bluetooth or wired to your mp3 player.

Not to criticize, but if you don't need the fancy brand name, we bought a Creative D80 from Amazon for <$40 and it sounds great to us. At that price you could buy it and see if it worked despite the metal skin of your TT.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

RickSo
Explorer
Explorer
Just mount the above chassis mount RCA connectors in a waterproof box like this.
Rick
----------------------------------------
2015 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, 500/1850
2015 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4 Dually
2012 Excel W41GKE Wild Cargo Toy Hauler
2010 BMW K1300GT / 2008 BMW R1200GS
2016 Polaris RZR 1000S

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Well, my trailer lives outside 365 days a year where the weather ranges from around 100F to -10F with plenty of snow and ice and rain and whatever else can be dreamed up by mother nature. I just can't see leaving that kind of connection exposed to the elements year round. I don't think you'd find something like that on any RV from the factory either, though I wouldn't be surprised, I guess.
2015 Ram 1500

caberto
Explorer
Explorer
lol I guess I'm not understanding what you're looking for then... last attempt... only a small hole required, but wall thickness may be an issue.

Chassis mount RCA Jacks
2010 Keystone Cougar 324RLB
2005 GMC 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4x4 Crew Cab S/B
www.imagesbyberto.com

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
caberto wrote:
You mean like this?

Dual RCA Jack plate

I've seen lots of that kind of stuff. Unfortunately it requires a LARGE hole in the side of the trailer, and is not water proof or weather resistant. I know there are outlet covers that might work with it.

I like the Bluetooth idea, but the BT unit would be inside the aluminum skin of the trailer. Not sure it would perform up to snuff.

Thanks! Keep 'em coming!
2015 Ram 1500