cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to tell if your wheel bearings are bad.

navy80to04
Explorer
Explorer
I took all 6 hubs off of my RV and it looks like the bearings have spun on the spindle. I have very slight galling On spindles and brown heat marks on bearing were it touches the spindle.
On the outer bearings and 2 of the inner bearings too. Nuts were at the right adjustment And grease was black. No seals were bad. Only grease on outside of 2 rims. So grease got hot and came out around dustcap on 2 wheels.
Replace all 12 bearings and races? and of course all the seals.
2017 29H outlaw class C
loaded. Retired Navy
46 REPLIES 46

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
navy80to04 wrote:
..... Mic spindles And they are right on the mark for the bearings. took the old bearings to a mechanic that I know he said the bearing did spin on the spindle ANd suggested pinging with a punch the bearing to the spindle. The trailer shop suggested the punch also, they said They do that......

The typical surface hardness for bearing components made from this material ranges from 60- 64 on the Rockwell hardness C scale (Rc).

That is really "Hard." I am certainly no master mechanic but I would like to watch them "ping" bearing steel. It is going to require hardened tools. Bearing steel would laugh at ordinary punches.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
navy80to04 wrote:
I went and got 6 sets. 130.00. and a Hand packer bearing packer. Mic spindles And they are right on the mark for the bearings. took the old bearings to a mechanic that I know he said the bearing did spin on the spindle ANd suggested pinging with a punch the bearing to the spindle. Dont know about doing that. No play between the new bearing and Spindle. The trailer shop suggested the punch also, they said They do that.
You shouldn't need to do anything to the shaft on a properly sized shaft. If you need to do something like that then the shaft is damaged. That's what is termed a "Doofer": it'll do fer now.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
China, CAN manufacture aerospace grade bearings. it all depends on the severity of engineering and horsewhip quality control.

Many of you "youngsters" do not go back far enough to remember the "Made In Japan" laugh-a-thon of the 1950's and early '60's.

For decades now, no one has been laughing at NTN LUA Japanese ball bearings. They may well be the finest commercial ball bearings in the world.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
China can make as good a quality item as anybody. But like everywhere else, you get what you pay for. You want really good quality, you gotta spec it and pay for it.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought 8 Timken bearings in June, all 8 said MADE IN USA right on them.

The Timken's I just inspected, installed in March, on my Yukon Spin-Free kit also say MADE IN USA.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
AH64ID wrote:
It's still a good idea to start fresh. The OEM bearings are almost always cheap Chinese bearings, and they look like it compared to a nice Timken. If you plan to keep the trailer a while put in good bearings and check them annually. ...............................

Cheap Chinese bearings? Have you checked where Timken bearings are now manufactured? When I replaced my TT wheel bearings of unknown origin after a couple of years, I insisted on purchasing Timken bearings. Well to my surprise, printed right on the original boxes that my Timken bearings came in "Manufactured in CHINA ". So either Chinese manufacturing has gotten better or Timken has gotten cheaper.

navy80to04
Explorer
Explorer
I went and got 6 sets. 130.00. and a Hand packer bearing packer. Mic spindles And they are right on the mark for the bearings. took the old bearings to a mechanic that I know he said the bearing did spin on the spindle ANd suggested pinging with a punch the bearing to the spindle. Dont know about doing that. No play between the new bearing and Spindle. The trailer shop suggested the punch also, they said They do that.
2017 29H outlaw class C
loaded. Retired Navy

navy80to04
Explorer
Explorer
I have HLS 2 Shell stamina synthetic polyurea grease tubes at my shop. 6 tubes.
Anyone used that? Has on tubes excellent bearing life water resistance excellent protection against rust corrosion. Excellent film strength. Industrial application.
2017 29H outlaw class C
loaded. Retired Navy

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
Everything you need to know is right here: Bearing analysis

Great link. I never knew a bearing could be damaged by static electricity and improper grounding. Tiny little arc scars.

As an aside, one of my uncles was a Master Machinist at Timken in Ohio for 45 years. During WWII he wasn't allowed to enlist. He had to stay and make bearings for Norden bombsights. Always night shift as the steel was cooler and more precisely machined.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Everything you need to know is right here: Bearing analysis

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO no question - bearings and races need to be replaced.

Two greases I trust

Lubrication Engineers Almaard 3752 (Google it)

CHEVRON Red Grease

A friend lubed a 7 ton 3-axle flatbed trailer with Almagard in NINETEEN SEVENTY FOUR. It's been all over the map since. Hundreds of thousands of miles. In 2011 he checked the bearings again, jammed full of grease like new. Oh did I mention how many times the trailer has been 100% submerged?

There is no need IMHO for problems with grease and bearings. Both the LE and Chevron products are identical in look and performance. They make a joke out of other greases. Yeah I feel sorta strongly pro particular product on this one. I lubed my Willys and it went seven years before I sold it. Every lube point could never be regreased. Doing so forced out perfectly good old grease. It was a 4X4. Friends in Texas lubed a galvanized boat trailer and have dunked it in the gulf of Mexico dozens of times. "This stuff is insane!" remarked Jim, a friend in Lake Forest.

-End of Rant-

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
If I had any question about the bearings I would replace them in my driveway. I've had to replace bearings in truck stops (on borrowed trailers) and I would much rather do it at home.

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Play it safe and tear it down once, replace all bearings and races and be through with it. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
If the bearing had spun on the spindle there would be deep marks. It's not uncommon to get brown ugly grease on the spindle under the bearing, but that doesn't mean they spun.

I run replaced the bearings/races/seals/grease at all 4 corners this summer and saw some nasty grease on the spindle but there was zero evidence of a bearing spinning on the spindle.

It's still a good idea to start fresh. The OEM bearings are almost always cheap Chinese bearings, and they look like it compared to a nice Timken. If you plan to keep the trailer a while put in good bearings and check them annually.

On a side note, what are you using for wheels/tires? That toy hauler must be putting you over 6,400 on the rear axle, especially with an extra 600lbs of diesel in the bed.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Too much grease will cause heating. Only fill the bearings 1/3 with grease.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter