cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hughs Autoformer

Sez_Hoo_
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with the Hughs autoformer. Its suppose to give the voltage a boost if the incoming voltage drops below a specified limit.
Steven
USCG EMC Ret.
Lilly Pi
1998 Country Coach Intrigue
2000 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
58 REPLIES 58

1hodag
Explorer
Explorer
i have a 30 amp autoformer. how do i hardwire it into the electrical system on my 5th wheel? thanks for any help.

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
Well let me tell u what,we got one, and it works, have seen it in action. Feels good to know it is on the job.wish I had one yrs ago .and now it's all -happy-camping

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
SteveB wrote:
Thank you (re: elec WH question) sorry for the mini hijack.

Ditto on my "stealing power" question. The OP should consider it a compliment for asking such a good question that others, like me, seek to expand on it.
Larry

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
What parks mean by an Autoformer "stealing power" is probably this: Watts equals amount of current times the amount of voltage. If your RV is needing so many watts of energy when the park voltage sags below a certain point, then the Autoformer ups the voltage that your RV sees. It can only continue to deliver the higher voltage to you RV at the cost of taking more current from the campsite's power pole so overall wattage being supplied to your RV remains the same.

When your Autoformer takes more current from the power pole, the voltage gets even lower for the rest of the campers in the campground because it is overall current draw on the campground's power poles that makes it's overall campground voltage lower in the first place. Soooo ... Autoformer users are experiencing great power in their RVs at the expense of worse power (lower voltage) at the power poles used by the rest of the (non-Autoformer) campers. In other words, your voltage winds up being higher than it was by making the voltage a little bit lower than it was for the rest of the campers.

This could be interpreted as "stealing" from the other campers. I guess it's alright for all of the campers to wind up with ruined appliances from an inadequately powered campground, but not alright for a single Autoformer user to save their appliances while all other campers get their appliances ruined. Of course it's extreme hot weather or extreme cold weather that causes temporary power over-draws on the campground's system. The proper solution is for the campground to have it's power grid rewired to a higher amperage service so nobody's voltage sags even if every power pole is delivering it's maximum rated current to each RV connected to every power pole during extreme weather.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

CJ5_jeeper
Explorer
Explorer
It is a case of people not knowing how they work, and they think somehow you are stealing power. Over the years I have stayed in a couple of parks that posted no autoformers. When I purchased one I decided that one that was hard wired in was the best option, out of sight out of mind. Older parks with 30 amp only will have more problems, my progressive industries surge protector and my autoformer have saved me quite a few times.

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you (re: elec WH question) sorry for the mini hijack.
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never ran into a park that banned auto transformers and use electric HWTR all the time.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
CJ5 jeeper wrote:
....There are some parks that do not want you to use them, as they think you are stealing power.....

I hope I'm not stepping into one of those topics that gets everybody upset but can you explain the reasoning behind that belief? I've never encountered it (yet) but I've talked to others that have.

50A/240V is 12kw. Why would somebody believe something plugged into a 12kw pedestal can draw more power than that? Am I completely misunderstanding how this works?

I'm firmly placed in your corner on this issue. My unit is a 30 amp unit. My shorepower connection is protected by a 30 amp breaker. In theory (the perfect world) if I try to draw 31 amps, it trips the breaker. So how can I steal power?
I have run into a bunch of parks that won't allow the autoformer, thats why mine is hardwired in. Yet I've found a couple parks that sell the autoformers...go figure.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
SteveB wrote:
I have a Franks Autotransformer purchased after a stressful trip to a DC campground in 2010. Embarrassingly I have never used it. I even wired up a nice plug-in setup in the rear compartment.
Never really needed it though as I also picked up a Kill-A-Watt meter and use it to keep tabs on incoming volts but that is also no guarantee that trouble is not looming.
I am concerned that (I read somewhere) it is NOT to be used with a resistive load which means NO ELECTRIC WATER HEATER. I don't know why it would make a difference as long as all loads are withing the design capacity. Not that propane is a problem but I don't want to "accidentally" turn it on to electric and blow up a $450 device.
Does anyone here use their electric water heater with an autoformer?

I have for years !!!!
samsontdog:o:W

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
CJ5 jeeper wrote:
....There are some parks that do not want you to use them, as they think you are stealing power.....

I hope I'm not stepping into one of those topics that gets everybody upset but can you explain the reasoning behind that belief? I've never encountered it (yet) but I've talked to others that have.

50A/240V is 12kw. Why would somebody believe something plugged into a 12kw pedestal can draw more power than that? Am I completely misunderstanding how this works?
Larry

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
SteveB: Our Hughes Autoformer is hardwired in place all the time. I'm sure you know that if the voltage is high enough, its just a pass through unit and it doesn't even work. But only kicks in when voltage drops to a near danger zone.
As for the electric water heater theory, I've never hear of that but my Hughes was bought used nearly 9 years ago and with no instructions or manual. We do use our electric water heater with is as well as any other appliances in the mH.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

SteveB
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Franks Autotransformer purchased after a stressful trip to a DC campground in 2010. Embarrassingly I have never used it. I even wired up a nice plug-in setup in the rear compartment.
Never really needed it though as I also picked up a Kill-A-Watt meter and use it to keep tabs on incoming volts but that is also no guarantee that trouble is not looming.
I am concerned that (I read somewhere) it is NOT to be used with a resistive load which means NO ELECTRIC WATER HEATER. I don't know why it would make a difference as long as all loads are withing the design capacity. Not that propane is a problem but I don't want to "accidentally" turn it on to electric and blow up a $450 device.
Does anyone here use their electric water heater with an autoformer?
2015 RAM 3500 CTD Auto 4X4 CC Dually, Reese 20K
SOLD 8/2015 '01 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD HO 6sp, Reese 15K Pro w/ Kwik Slide, Prodigy

'04 Jayco Jayflight 28.5RKS

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
Had our Hughes autoformer about ten years or more. Seems we need it at about 20% of the campgrounds we visit. So far only ever been to one CG where the voltage was so low the autoformer couldn't correct it.

Have used it in rain, covered with a plastic shopping bag, and even used it once in the snow!. Great gadget, and never any trouble with it to date. I chain it to the power pole to keep it from wandering off.
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

jjj
Explorer
Explorer
I have a franks booster and it worked flawless for 4 years until last year when at a camp ground when a transformer blew and fried both circuit boards and will cost 400.00 +labor to repair a 600.00 booster. I don't have the extra cash to repair it now but it did work great on low voltage.
2002 F-350 Crew-Cab Dually
V-10-4.30 gears Mag-Hytec diff.cover
w/Amsoil-6.0 trans cooler Curt Q5 20K hitch & bedsaver
2005 Keystone Challenger 34TBH-Fifth Airbourn

Alfred622
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like most are using the Hughes voltage booster. I bought one from Franks back in 2006 because it offered several boost ranges. It was also less expensive. I've used it frequently since 2006 and have been quite pleased. Weblink to it is: Franks voltage booster. I actually bought it mail-order from a RV.Net forum member who has them drop shipped directly from the factory. I saved a bit that way too.
Alfred
2005 Sightseer with Workhorse, ReadyBrute Elite towing 2003 Honda CRV
Map below shows states where we actually camped.....