cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I need a de-humidifer

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Like to hear from full timers who have purchased a de-humidifier for winter. Don't want a full size due to amp draw but don't want too small to be ineffective.
Like to hear from others using de-humidifiers.
Purchased a small Eva-Dry but its not working well. Sending back.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel
30 REPLIES 30

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I need one too. Here is a site called the air geeks that advise the best of the quiet ones.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
RELATIVE humidity is just that.

Relative

It is a different universe to reduce humidity from 70% to 50% when the temperature is 50F rather than 80%

A 500 watt unit could do it. A waste of time and money to try it on 200 watts.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
AMP draw a very BIG concern when on 30 amp! Will need to keep water heater on electric AND will also need a small electric heater in the wet bay not to forget the fridge as well as one or possibly two electric heaters. Oh, the electric convection/microwave.
Add it up.

When looking at Amp draw, remember that those small boutique dehumidifiers are not as efficient in operation as the cheapest full size residential unit. Looking at the specs, you would need at least 6 of those units to match the efficiency of a small standard residential unit. So in practice, a single small efficient standard residential dehumidifier will cost less to purchase, use less electricity compared to several of those mini table top units, and it will do a much better job keeping you comfortable with less hassles and need for attention.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
GordonThree 80% of rated output on a continuous load. But RV's because they "plug in" are exempt.

Burned plugs are the end result of going over that 80% figure.

Though I have had a 30 amp female Cameco burn when it was drawing less that 15 amps. (shore power was only 15 amps).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely! To each their own rig thank you.

Good point S Davis. Thanks for the reply.
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
You will get some heating from a dehumidifier as well.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, I guess to each their own.

I use a 1200w heater, a 600w heater, a 90 pint GE dehumidifier, a Sam's ice maker, all while running my fridge on electric.

30 amps is 3600 watts although the government says we must derate this some percentage.

Now if it's time to run MW or toaster, I turn the 1200w heater off first
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
What's the concern about amp draw? Pulling water from thin air takes a fair amount of energy, but a worthy investment versus mold and mildew.

Chemical desiccant based units might work for storage but not in a lived in coach.

AMP draw a very BIG concern when on 30 amp! Will need to keep water heater on electric AND will also need a small electric heater in the wet bay not to forget the fridge as well as one or possibly two electric heaters. Oh, the electric convection/microwave.
Add it up.

Not going to rely on the E.M.S or switching devices on/off.

Not going to use the on board furnaces. As you should know the are VERY inefficient. Will use extend-a-stay and a ventless propane heater ONLY during daytime hours.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Good info!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Have always had a 30 pint dehumidifier in all our boats and RV's. Unless conditions warrant it, we take them off when using the boat/RV.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
We use an electric water collecting unit often kept in the shower. Best investment ever. We can dry laundry over night. Condensation does not exist in our hybrid. Bought at Home Depot
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a GE 30 pint that during periods of high humidity we dump twice a day! We very seldom have any moisture on the windows, and if we do it is just a small strip along the edge. We winter on the Oregon Coast.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Have you already tried the roof vent plus most distant window from vent plus electric heater by the window? (oil filled preferred).
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
What's the concern about amp draw? Pulling water from thin air takes a fair amount of energy, but a worthy investment versus mold and mildew.

Chemical desiccant based units might work for storage but not in a lived in coach.

OP's signature says they have 1000 watts solar, and I'm sure a generator on top of that.

I've used this Frigidairein a room at my work that had poor AC. Temp wasn't a big problem but humidity was. It held a 600 square foot room at 50% in TN in the summer.

My preference is the type WITHOUT a pump. Pump failure would be ugly. All you need is a slightly elevated spot where it can drain continually, either to plumbing or outdoors.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
+10 on that. With a dehumidifier, the bigger, the better.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB