cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter to run outside fridge

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I want to keep my outside kitchen fridge cold for longer distance travel. I am curious if anyone has done this or can it be done? Would be a short run on the 12 volt wires to my convertor. Reason I am considering this is so while travelling we can put some drinks and food in it so I don't have to open the slide when stopping for lunch or a snack as the fridge is in the back and blocked by it.
22 REPLIES 22

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
It is 6g from battery.

Absolutely check it out in the drive before going anywhere.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
mhsmith wrote:
I was looking at 10g wire minimum to to inverter. Thanks
I'm not sure that will do it, plus, what is the gauge from the converter to batteries? Of course, try this at home before relying on it to work on the road.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at 10g wire minimum to to inverter. Thanks

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fridges that have motors can have a pretty hefty startup surge. My advice would be make sure the 12v wiring is large enough to handle that.

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
120 volt fridge. Rated at 1.1 amps which gives me 132 watts. I am looking at possibly a 180w to 200w inverter.

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. The convertor has a few open fuse slots is another reason. It is about a 6 ft run under the cabinets to the fridge.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess you're hooking to the converter because that's easier than direct to batteries?