cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Large camper with single AC

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Got parked in a no-shade side for the 4th. 37' TT with one central AC. Just couldn't keep up in the 90+ heat cooking all day. Should have taken up the offer to install the 2nd unit when we bought it. In my defense, site is only 30AMP so probably couldn't run them both anyway, at least that's what I'm telling my wife.
24 REPLIES 24

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
It is common in the North from the West Coast to the East Coast to have only 1 AC on LARGE (ABOVE 28 FOOT) RV's. Still, Dealers that do that do not care for their customers. They are just selling their units $1k cheaper. Think about it. HOW MANY NORTHERNERS GO SOUTH FOR TRAVEL AND VACATION? Having 1 AC on a large RV makes the resale harder and the value lower. Yes, you can add a 2nd AC even if you are on 30 amp. You just have to manage the AMP usage. Get the 2nd AC installed. Doug

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Add a second unit and wire it to plug into any 20 amp circuit. In the past, we have owned single A/C equipped trailers and had added a second unit. Both were wired into an adjoining closet or cabinet and down through the floor terminating with a male 15/20 amp plug. Just ran an extension to the pedestal 20 plug.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Do not close any vents.. An A/C needs a certain airflow to work properly and closing registers will restrict the amount of air flow thru the unit and lead to icing. Some systems have a register in the ceiling assy. (usually called a quick cool feature) that can be opened to add airflow in that area.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
With everyone apparently running their A/C in the park, how was the voltage?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Yes it is wired for a 2nd above the kid's bunkhouse in the rear. Just never noticed it as much before since our last big trip we were getting to places later in the day and usually had some sort of shade. Sitting in the open sun for three days straight really pointed out the need. It's funny, because our salesman was obviously focused more on making a sale than upselling options. I remember asking him specifically if a 2nd unit was a necessity, and he told me not absolutely unless I loved to Florida or something. We had a good laugh. Then I moved to Florida.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The A/Cs are much more efficient now. 2 Will run just fine on 30 amps if you switch the fridge and water heater to gas for the hot part of the day and shut one off if you need to run the microwave. Quite doable if you want to stay comfortable. Put #2 on. You won't regret it!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Actually kind of shocking they even produced a unit that big with 1 air con. Around 28-30ft, you are reaching the limit for a single unit.

I assume the rig is a 50 amp rig (just the current site is 30amp) and it's wired up for a second air/con. Bite the bullet and get the second unit. I'll bet you every time it gets up in the low to mid 80's, it will struggle to keep the inside cool with only 1 unit.

One temporary thing, you can try is if the aircon vents close off, shut down the bedroom and bathroom and close them off so all the cool air is going to the main living area during the day. Usually at night, you don't need as much cooling, so you can open them back up.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hemling,

A couple of solutions from most expensive to cheapest

1. Add a double mini split Air Conditioner and replace the existing roof top unit.

2. Add a 2nd roof top unit and an autoformer, combined with a hybrid inverter/charger that does load support.

3. add a window or through the wall air conditioner to the rear wall. Autoformer for sure--but maybe not hybrid inverter/charger

4. add a stand alone A.C. unit, one with twin tubes.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Hemling
Explorer
Explorer
Had I known then what I know now - lived in WI when we bought. Moved to Miami.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 40' DP with two air conditioners - if I ever buy another one, it will have three air conditioners. I wouldn't own anything larger than my 26' TT with only one air conditioner.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.