cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LED light strip wiring

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
Hey all I am going to put on one or two of the handy dandy LED light strips under my awning. I would like to wire it directly into the 12 volt system, utilizing the porch light. That way one switch controls both. Is this possible? I know most of the light strips have an AC to DC transformer would I just need to remove that out of the equation all together or get some other device.

Thanks
Matt
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH
4 REPLIES 4

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
There is an article in the April issue of the MotorHome magazine Called Lively Illumination. It talks about using 12VDC instead of the 120VAC converter.
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Look on eBay. There are thousands of rolls of 12v strips for sale without needing to buy the transformer and lighting control if all you're doing is timing it to an existing circuit.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Works well, but the cheaper, multi-colored strips fail die to weather and temps. I have a number of the white strips installed inside for indirect lighting, wired straight into 12V points.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
As long as the power supply is 12.0 DC

AND AND AND

The strip can tolerate a rig's converter absorbsion voltage maximum you should be home safe.