cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How long does an AGM Battery Last?

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased an '09 TT a few weeks back. The battery is a 4D Powerstride Lifeline AGM that seems to be working well and is clean. I have no idea when it was installed, but I've got to assume that it's been in there for most of the trailer's life. Maybe I can find a date code, but haven't looked yet.

It's my first experience with AGM technology and I was wondering if anyone knows what the average lifetime is on one of these.

Thanks.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X
17 REPLIES 17

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
cochise49 wrote:
Twice in the past decade, I have taken our rig in to the shop where it stayed for 4 and 5 months respectively. Both times, the AGM house batteries failed while there. The batteries were not charged while stored/waiting for parts.Only times I replaced them.

This is not normal. A fully charged and healthy AGM should still retain more than 60% of charge after 5 months of storage with open contacts. Either they were not fully charged before, or were already not healthy, or were not completely disconnected from the trailer loads. Or - poorly made from the beginning.

There is more to maintaining AGM than depth of cycle. Lifeline in particular recommends using VERY high charging currents and warns that the life will shorten if you don't. Most other AGM brands specify only maximum current but not minimum. Another thing with Lifeline is that they can and sometimes should be equalized/conditioned, which is something that other brands don't mention. Like Mex said - read the manual.

Reports that such and such AGM lasted 8,9,10 etc years, don't tell much. A battey life is measured in cycles. If you run only 60 cycles a year because you only camp in summer on weekends, it will last many years. That's why I said earlier that the question "how long do AGM last" is impossible to answer.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you know nothing of the history of what was don, I would check and see if your converter is set up for charging AGM batteries otherwise they can be damaged and definitely won't last. Those batteries aren't exactly cheap and you want the most mileage possible out of them.

jmcgsd wrote:
We purchased an '09 TT a few weeks back. The battery is a 4D Powerstride Lifeline AGM that seems to be working well and is clean. I have no idea when it was installed, but I've got to assume that it's been in there for most of the trailer's life. Maybe I can find a date code, but haven't looked yet.

It's my first experience with AGM technology and I was wondering if anyone knows what the average lifetime is on one of these.

Thanks.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Lifeline is IMHO a respectable, responsible, OEM. It would pay you well to read, understand and follow Lifeline's maintenance recommendations for this accumulator. Volts, amps, temperature, the whole bag of wax. Especially ponder the Depth of discharge cycles chart.

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
In support of the "keep 'em charged" camp....Twice in the past decade, I have taken our rig in to the shop where it stayed for 4 and 5 months respectively. Both times, the AGM house batteries failed while there. The batteries were not charged while stored/waiting for parts.Only times I replaced them. Each time I expected repairs "by the end of the week or month." Next time I will find a shop that will plug in once in awhile for insurance if it won't cost more than replacement batteries. May be doable given the cost of batteries these days.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

The positive plate shales on each cycle. It gets smaller and smaller over time. So does the capacity of the battery.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
My 8D Lifelines were 10 years old in January. Still performing fine

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
I wonder how a BAD battery is built ? Most all the batteries that I have had fail, (a bunch) appeared to be fully charged, and actually were fully charged.
They stood at 12.7-8 state of charged, burned a 12v lite bulb very brightly, but when hooked to a load tester, they instantly drop to 0 - 5 volts. I'd really like to internally see what takes place in that situation.
Dadgummit, off topic again !!

Edit........
I have had super good luck w/ house deep cycle batteries, and not because I don't cycle them.

What happens is one of the connections between cells is weak so it will conduct current normally under light load but under heavy load it will have to high of resistance so the voltage will drop.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how a BAD battery is built ? Most all the batteries that I have had fail, (a bunch) appeared to be fully charged, and actually were fully charged.
They stood at 12.7-8 state of charged, burned a 12v lite bulb very brightly, but when hooked to a load tester, they instantly drop to 0 - 5 volts. I'd really like to internally see what takes place in that situation.
Dadgummit, off topic again !!

Edit........
I have had super good luck w/ house deep cycle batteries, and not because I don't cycle them.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
Our two Blue Top Optima are on there 12th year and show no signs of giving up.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
Have had one for over 8 years and still works well, used to have it on our TT as a house battery but now use it for the entertainment center when we dry camp with an inverter, they do cost more but I have had good luck with the one I have , my house batteries on the 5th wheel are good old deep cycle wet cells with a upgraded charger/inverter which adjusts the charge rate so you dont boil the water out of the batteries. I spent the money on the charger rather than the batteries the last time around and so far the wet cells have held up well.
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Being a Lifeline I would count on replacing it no sooner than 2019.. Lifeline is the cadillac of AGM's. and usually last around 10 years. I'm assuming the Prior Owner quickly did the upgrade.. That battery is slightly larger than a pair of GC-2's in series just so you know.

I often get into "Which is better threads 2 12s or 2 sixes)

Well, if you had two 8 D's that is clearly better than 2 GC-2, in fact the one you have is better than two GC-2s all by itself.

Other AGM's.. I'd expect to fail sooner, Some within the next year or two. AGM's for the most part do NOT outlast flooded wet cell no matter what my opposition says (I did the test myself).. Lifeline, however I did not test.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I have had way too many small AGM (SLA) batteries fail in a short time. And every one was charged (float) all year.
A 24v B&D mower, the original 12v pair (24v) lasted 8 yrs, used hard ! I was really impressed
A replacement pair didn't go 2 yrs, and one of those was replaced free at 2 months. They were replaced w/ larger lead acid elect chair batteries, (80 bucks each) Going strong at 3 yrs.

Another in a cordless musical amp failed the first month, 2nd going strong at 3 yrs

A week ago, another failed at 2 yrs in my snapper riding mower, $50 bucks for a little bit of a thing !!@#$%^&*

I could only hope the larger RV AGM batts have a better failure rate. But as long as LA RV batts go 8 yrs, I'll stick w/ what works !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

RichB3125
Explorer
Explorer
I have 12 years old Lifeline AGMs in my RV and they are still at 90% of their original capacity. I've checked them several times with an amp-hr meter. We used the RV about 100 days a year but don't boondocks a lot.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi mena,

Except for Mex's two volt cells your L-16 are pretty special.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.