cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Linoleum repair

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any suggestions to repair a 1" long, very shallow crack in floor?

Jim

Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.

10 REPLIES 10

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you can't get rid of the crack by above methods, I would find a piece of the sheet flooring from inside a cabinet, under a dinette seat or other inconspicuous place where you can cut out a patch piece and not see it after. Then install a patch a bit larger in area than the crack. If you have kitchen looking lino with squares and faux grout lines, I'd cut along the "grout" lines. Overlay the patch over the floor and cut through both layers so the cuts all line up neatly.

Seam sealer should work. I was talking to the head tech. at our dealer recently and he said that they use seam sealer and that he can patch floors so you can't even see it after. I'm sure this gets done a lot in RVs. On our new TT, we were considering removing the dinette table pedestal legs flanges from the floor to use another method of table support but went with Lance flanges & legs. The tech said he'd have no trouble patching in a piece of new flooring so you'd never notice.

You could always get a pro floor layer in to fix it for a few cash dollars. That's the way I would go.

joshuajim
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of professional floor installers use MEK to make the seams on seamless vinyl floor. A pin point oiler bottle to wet the edges, don't let it spread beyond the edges as it WILL damage the vinyl,

A sheet of wax paper and a heavy weight to hold it down. Works on all vinyl floors.
RVing since 1995.

Cat_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago when we had this problem we heated an iron to cotton setting, I believe, ripped open a plain, brown paper bag for a one-layer fit over the slit on the vinyl, then ironed over the slit. Use some pressure but not enough to hurt the iron. Go over the tear several times.
Raise the bag to check your progress. Repeat as needed.

Good luck.

Cat Lady
As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
westend may be right...if it is only one place and only 1 inch long no harm in trying the sealer. Just google sealers. I don't know if there is a universal type. It seems each Manufacturer has one for their vinyl, which may be a sales gimmick. I have always used a brand specific sealer on new vinyl. Don't know how you would know the brand on yours.

Original question was how to repair the vinyl. I don't think anything is going to actually hide the crack on or "repair" older vinyl, but it may seal it. If you just want to close up the crack from moisture maybe something like crazy glue would work ( test first ). A lot cheaper. Just saying I would not spend a lot on 15 yr old floor covering. I am liking the throw rug answer too.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the ideas, no curling, tear just appeared, trailer is a '98 HH.

Jim

westend
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
Not sure seam sealer will work on the quality of vinyl found in RVs, especially if is not a " new " seam which has likely started to curl on edges.

If there is a pattern and you by some miracle could find a piece you can cut out a section along the pattern ( 6x6, 9x9, 12x12 etc. ) and then try to use the seam sealer to seal the new edges. For me not worth the effort, just replace it.
I dunno', it's a 1" tear. If it's curled, lay some weight on it. By the sound of it, the vinyl wear surface is cut and the backing is still in one piece. I'd definitely try to repair it rather than replace all of it if the rest is in good shape.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure seam sealer will work on the quality of vinyl found in RVs, especially if is not a " new " seam which has likely started to curl on edges.

If there is a pattern and you by some miracle could find a piece you can cut out a section along the pattern ( 6x6, 9x9, 12x12 etc. ) and then try to use the seam sealer to seal the new edges. For me not worth the effort, just replace it.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Vinyl seam sealer and the tool to correctly apply it, sold at flooring installer distributors.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
We have several "slits" in our floor. Kinda looks like there was/were some 'air bubbles' and installers just decided to give a slit to let bubble disappear. Did not notice till a couple of months into ownership and light shined just right. We did use the throw rug thing, but have decided to refloor. Three of our slits are longer than 3 inces and are buckling worse as time goes on.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Throw rug.....