cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for battery recommendations

Slick_Rick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market for a new battery and your recommendation and advice are highly appreciated. Your experience is what I'm looking for so I can learn about current battery technology and make a good decision. My rig is a Lance truck camper with room for a group 24 only. I'm thinking agm and I'm told my charging circuit will work with an agm. We mostly camp on the beach and I don't have solar, I'll run the generator.
I don't have any idea what's a good brand. I've heard of optimus, precision and duracell. I've been told stay away from a hybrid rv/marine and stick to a true deep cycle battery. What's a good true deep cycle rv battery? What worked for you or didn't work for you?
Thank you very much for your input.
Rick
2015 F350 Lariat CC PSD 4x4 SRW
2015 Lance 865 Truck Camper
8 REPLIES 8

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWC wrote:
If you are going to run a generator to charge your batteries, then lithium becomes even more attractive. They charge much faster than lead-acid (from 50% to full in 1 hour), and they don't care if you can only partially charge them. Lead-acid on the the other hand will take several hours to full, regardless of the size of the charger as they stop accepting current as they get full. Furthermore, if you can only get it to 80-90% SOC you will significantly shorten the battery life.

Yes, lithium is more expensive, but they are much lighter and should last much longer than lead acid. If you plan on keeping the camper for some time, lithium may come out to be cheaper in the long run.

Also, with Lith you could move it inside to a spot with more room for a larger batt. AGM as well but weight may be a factor.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

MARKW8
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised it will only hold a group 24. My Lance 920 would hold a group 31.
Mark

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If going AGM I recommend Lifeline brand. Off grid with just one group 24 makes a case for lithium for more usable capacity and way faster charging. If your converter goes to 14.4 to 14.6 volts you are fine either way.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
FWC wrote:
If you are going to run a generator to charge your batteries, then lithium becomes even more attractive. They charge much faster than lead-acid (from 50% to full in 1 hour), and they don't care if you can only partially charge them. Lead-acid on the the other hand will take several hours to full, regardless of the size of the charger as they stop accepting current as they get full. Furthermore, if you can only get it to 80-90% SOC you will significantly shorten the battery life.

Yes, lithium is more expensive, but they are much lighter and should last much longer than lead acid. If you plan on keeping the camper for some time, lithium may come out to be cheaper in the long run.

BINGO !!

FWC
Explorer
Explorer

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to check and see if there is enough room in your compartment for a group 27..There was in mine barely..

Crown batteries are awesome as well as Lifeline..Trojans get good reviews also..

The problem with group 24 batteries is available amp hours..The norm is 80ah of which you should only use 50% of that for lifespan, leaving only 40ah to use...I recently bought a Motobat agm group 24 with 94ah but advertised as 90...Seems like a very good battery but it's to soon to tell how it will hold up with father time.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
If I was going to start from scratch I would look at the new Lithium-ion battery packs that have everything built in. About $500 price range but you get a lot and can run those batts much lower than typical batts.

In my TC I had room for two golf cart batteries in the truck bed. There was only space for one batt in the TC, so I put them in the truck bed and connected them to the camper when loading using Anderson plugs.
GC batts are true deep cycle batts with the slight advantage that if you buy from a national chain (auto parts store, walmark etc) you have warranty wherever you go. But GC batts are 6 volts, so you need two together to make 12.

AGM batts will work for what it sounds like you are doing - running the generator in the day and just need a batt for night for lights, pump, fans and maybe some TV.

Other than the Air cond needs, solar is really the way to go for camping - you always have power...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
No such thing unless you go AGM. You need to fully recharge an AGM occassionally and not recharge it at too slow a pace.