cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for info on Trojan BT-105 Batteries

howardq99
Explorer
Explorer
My two Costco 6 volters have lasted 6 years and it's time to replace them. In looking around for the replacements I ran across a Golf Cart Supply Company offering Trojan BT-105s for a very attractive $69.99 each.

I called them up and asked them what the difference is between the BT-105s and the T-105s. I was told the warranty on the BT-105's is 12 months vs. 18 months for the T-105s and they are rated at 210ah vs. 225ah. Other than that, they didn't have any more information.

I like the fact that the Trojans are made in the USA. From the experts on this forum I know the Trojans are a high quality battery and at ~$70 seem like a superior value over the Costco 6ers at $89.

Aside from what I've mentioned, does anyone have any more information on Trojan BT-105's?

Thanks!
2004 Ford Excursion 4X4 PSD
Firestone Airbags, Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar, Landyot Radius Rods,
Donahoe Racing 3" Lift, Prodigy & Silverstars

2006 ATC Custom Trailer w/Hensley Arrow Hitch
Yamaha Warrior & Banshee
Honda XR650L Thumper
29 REPLIES 29

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
If my failing memory serves-

After a GC220 leaves the charging line, it'll spend about 1-2 weeks being labelled, palletized, before being shipped. Meanwhile the plates are still curing. This consumes a not insignificant amount of surface charge voltage.

If I would be forced to guess, I would attach a value of 6.35 volts per 3 cell unit. Anything lower than that would raise my eyebrows in a linear fashion. 6.25 volts is too low, a definite black flag.

Cherry pick what you need according to what you find voltage wise.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Heh, Trojan-- as in Trojan Horse? Thanks RJ!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I bet you will get what you pay for just like the costco batteries I tried compared to T 105 or napa specialty 6v GCs. They were cheaper for a reason! Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

MrWizard
T-105's are 6v batteries
look for 6.4v or above
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
howardq99 wrote:

Thanks for the safety tips! I'll grab the voltmeter and start poking around. What would the ideal volt reading be for a T-105?
12.8V

howardq99
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
I would be extremely hesitant if the batteries had white cases and red tops

Only maroon cases and tops with TROJAN molded right into the plastic is an ironclad guarantee of origin.

Take a voltmeter with you. I've run into too many shady dealers who were not above exchanging alphanumeric date code stickers for "fresher" ones. These flakes never charge old stock and thus finding batteries with 12.40 volts is not uncommon. Check half a dozen. Phoenix is a golfing area. Something does not add up...IMO

Thanks for the safety tips! I'll grab the voltmeter and start poking around. What would the ideal volt reading be for a T-105? I'll try to swing by next week and report my findings back here...

Thanks again for all the help!

Yamaha Warrior & Banshee
Honda XR650L Thumper

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I would be extremely hesitant if the batteries had white cases and red tops

Only maroon cases and tops with TROJAN molded right into the plastic is an ironclad guarantee of origin.

Take a voltmeter with you. I've run into too many shady dealers who were not above exchanging alphanumeric date code stickers for "fresher" ones. These flakes never charge old stock and thus finding batteries with 12.40 volts is not uncommon. Check half a dozen. Phoenix is a golfing area. Something does not add up...IMO

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"B" means "blemished" in the solar panel world. Means it still works, but has a bent frame or whatever. Like "scratch and save" at the appliance store.

No info whether that applies to the OP
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

howardq99
Explorer
Explorer
I too searched all over the Trojan website and the internet and could not find any mention of the "BT-105". Today after work I called the Trojan Battery tech support line and they never heard of the BT-105 either.

I think I'll have to visit the distributor and see what they have cooking. Hopefully, as westend suggests, they are Bayonet Tops! Do you think it would be okay to purchase them if they were last years batteries?

Thanks for all the replies, this forum and the members are GREAT!

Yamaha Warrior & Banshee
Honda XR650L Thumper

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I too spent some time searching GOOGLE for the TROJAN BT-105 Battery with no specs results... All I found listed was just the T-105 part number.

It is interesting that the EBAY listing does list it and also has the lower AH rating... They must be getting that info from something... The same EBAY seller also lists the Trojan T-105 for sale as well.

I know these things keep changing - I just yesterday after reading a battery post found out INTERSTATE BATTERIES now has a full "GOLFCAR" line of batteries. Never knew about that until yesterday haha...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I have a pair of t125's and may add two more for my new to me TT. My last TT had 125's and when I sold it they were 10yrs old and still going strong. Make sure you get the Charge Wizard to plug into your dumb convertor charger to make it smart. That, checking fluid levels and nver discharging more than 50% led to along life. I expect the same with my new pair now that I going solar.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

westend
Explorer
Explorer
It is a labeling from a battery distributor in Chandler and probably not knowledgeable about their products. The "BT" may refer to a Bayonet Top but is not a Trojan model number. All of the Trojan 6V T-105 batteries are 225AH and weigh 62 lbs. according to Trojan's data sheets.

They may be selling at a discount because they are last year's batteries. I would try another call to the same distributor or a call to Trojan.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I've spent a bit of time looking at the Trojan site as well as my rather detailed Trojan app and see no mention whatsoever of a BT-105
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Plate thickness difference may enter the picture.

Try and get a weight value on the BT-105. If it were merely a matter of capacity all factors could be weighed. Pun unintentional.

But the warranty difference raised my eyebrows. A telephone call to Sta Fe Springs CA does not cost all that much. Plate thickness should be the keynote of the conversation. I'm curious to learn what you find out.