cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LP side of fridge doesn't work

smsinville
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Dometic RML8555 fridge that runs great on 110 and 12V, but won't run at all on LP. Bought the trailer used (2010 model) and I admit that I may never have tried to run on LP...THERE IS NOT CLICKING/NO SPARK. Attempted to clean everything in the service door of the fridge, as far as LP. Cleaned all electrical contacts. Took apart the LP connections. (I had shut off gas at tanks...heard a little whooshing when I disconnected, confirming that there was LP in the main line up to the smaller diameter line going to the gas control valve.) I removed the small diameter line, and the gas control valve. Downstream of the gas control valve is a curved ("s" curve) tube and then another connection to the tiny (1/8 inch?) gas line going to the ignitor. I look in the end of the S shaped line connected to the gas control valve and I see white. I use the plastic shaft of a Q tip to push on it. It comes loose -- I blow it out. It looks like the filter of a cigarette. MY QUESTION IS THIS...is that white "filter - like thing" supposed to be in there? If so, I assume my moving it/reinserting it will only add to my problems. If it's not supposed to be there, not sure how it got in there. could this be the source of my unit not sparking, because it's not getting any gas?
4 REPLIES 4

smsinville
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all... Chris, thanks for link to manual. I had searched everywhere. The suggestion that the fridge is Canadian it European might explain why I had a hard time finding the manual. The fridge is in a 2010 Heartland Edge.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The 8555 is a European and Canadian model. What brand Trailer do you have? Bad news is, Dometic USA has almost NO parts for this model and most have to come from Dometic Europe. We have been waiting for the rear main module for 3 months for a Canadian built RV we work on. Regardless of Gas supply(NO gas at all) the Ignitor will still spark if that circuit is operating. Doug

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
I have the service manual at http://bryantrv.com/docs.html (won't let me link directly, as the url has the percent sign in it). Scroll down to the Dometic RM8000 series- it's an odd manual, translated from German, I believe.
It should spark whether it has LP or not, that is probablt a filter, and it should alarm after a couple of minutes of not igniting. Have you tried it both on Auto- unplugging it- and manual, selecting GAS ? As noted- it does need 12 volt power all the time.
-- Chris Bryant

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
First, make sure you have 12VDC to the control board. Regardless of the source of power to the fridge, most RV units require 12VDC to run.

Also, purge the gas lines by running a stove burner for a while.

The sparking is caused by a piezoelectric crystal that shoots a spark across an air gap. If the gap is too large, no spark.

Can you light the burner with a bbq lighter? If so, then the control board and gas path are clear and the sparker is the only problem.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox