cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My stupid Question of the day

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a new 5th wheel and I was reading through my owners manual, and it said that my trailer either has the Dexter Ez lube axles or the AL-KO Axis Safe-T-Lube axles. How do I tell which one I have? The materials I got from the dealer doesn't have any information about what's actually on my trailer. The maintenance is different between the 2 axles from what I read on line. The Ez lube you inspect and repack every 12 months or 12,000 miles, AL-KO you inspect every 6 months or 6,000 miles. Any help would be appreciated.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI
21 REPLIES 21

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the approach of having your brakes checked and serviced annually and while up on the hoist, having the bearings inspected and repacked at the same time. Well worth the $250 or so it costs for both together.

I'm on the side that thinks the grease-able axles aren't worth the hype.

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin didn't you start the name calling? Yes of course you did. You responding back just proves that you are Still a Jack ass. Like I said why are you continuing to post on the question you aren't providing any useful information. I do appreciate the others that have posted.
2015 Cougar 29RLI

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Gau 8 wrote:
RJsfishin wrote:
Why would these hubs require maintenance any oftener than a car or truck w/ tapered roller bearings ?
It is those lacking experience that should not be grabbing a grease gun just because they see a grease zerk. And once you do get the proper experience, you would never have anything else.
Disassembling and repacking bearings even once a year, shows ignorance, or to put it nicer, lack of experience.

What a jackass!

Oh yeah, like you really added helpful information.
Resorting to name calling only proves more ignorance on your part.
If you just had to post something, why didn't you answer the question?
Why didn't anyone answer the question ?
Every word in my post was the truth,......resorting to name calling doesn't change that !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
rugermark2 wrote:
opnspaces, that's what I was thinking also. On my last few trailers they all had the ez lube, I was just comparing the differences and was really surprised to see the 6 month inspection. My last trailers I did them every year. It is to often but it is my time and money.
If your rig is under warranty, O.P., do the maintenance on time as recommended and carefully document that fact. How many times have we seen posts from folks that have had problems within warranty periods only to be denied coverage due to their "failure to have performed scheduled maintenance"?

It's a game, but as we all know, it's their game. So long as you have that warranty "umbrella" over your head, you have to play by their rules.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:

Disassembling and repacking bearings even once a year, shows ignorance, or to put it nicer, lack of experience.

??? Your statement simply makes no sense.

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces, that's what I was thinking also. On my last few trailers they all had the ez lube, I was just comparing the differences and was really surprised to see the 6 month inspection. My last trailers I did them every year. It is to often but it is my time and money.
2015 Cougar 29RLI

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree Gau 8. I expected someone like that to respond. I think some people just try to get a rise out of people. And they are always braver online.
2015 Cougar 29RLI

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
OP, I would probably just do the 12 months routine. To be truthful though I only do mine every few years.

I found the Dexter axle FAQ's today and found a snippet about E-Z Lube and bearing inspections (I added the red for emphasis below). Dexter FAQ's

E-Z LUBE - What is the E-Z Lube option?

The E-Z Lube option was designed specifically for the marine application where the axles are constantly being immersed in water. This feature provides a convenient method for purging the water from the hub cavity without having to pull the hub every time. The hubs should be removed every 12 months or 12,000 miles to inspect the bearings and it is imperative to replace the seal at this time to assure that the grease does not leak out the back onto the brake linings rendering the brakes non-functional.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin wrote:
Why would these hubs require maintenance any oftener than a car or truck w/ tapered roller bearings ?
It is those lacking experience that should not be grabbing a grease gun just because they see a grease zerk. And once you do get the proper experience, you would never have anything else.

What a jackass!

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
RJsfishin I may have just joined this forum, and I may have just bought a new 5er this doesn't mean I'm new to trailers. I have owned 4 trailers and I have done all the maintenance myself. Before you insult people you should get a little history 1st.
Next thing I always go through my owners manuals before I do anything. The info for the axles was missing, so I asked where I could find it. To put it nicer next time don't respond you didn't provide information that was useful.
2015 Cougar 29RLI

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
I have the AL-KO. Thanks for the help locating it. It does seem excessive inspecting and repacking every 6 months. It definitely seems like cya.
2015 Cougar 29RLI

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Reading manuals makes you go blind... ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
darsben wrote:
What is the problem inspecting every six months is good practie and works for either brand.

Actually even 12 months is far too often. I can see the 12k miles frequency. But every year is just plain dumb and is an obvious CYA thing from the manufacturers.

Are you really going to pull the seals every 6 months to inspect the bearings? What if you didn't actually go anywhere? Still going to do it? Silly stuff really.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver