cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Myrtle Beach Winterizing Question

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel is spending the winter in Myrtle Beach. Specifically at Willowtree storage yard. We were there to winterize when the storms from the hurricane hit. Never saw so much rain!

Anyhow I was planning on winterizing it the same I do when stored here in south west Pennsylvania when the weather hit and I also took ill. I normally drain as much water out of the lines as possible, drain the hot water tank, drain the water filter holder, and then pump in the pink stuff. I did everything but the pink stuff. I forgot to take some with me and I could not find it anywhere in the area.

My question is will this be enough? I reviewed the weather charts and see the average low temperature is around 32 or 34 degrees while the highs are near 50. Should I get a service to pump in the pink stuff or will it be enough? I am not well enough right now to travel back myself to do anything so it would have to be a RV Service company to perform the task.

If a service company is needed does anyone have a recommendation of one to use?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
10 REPLIES 10

justaboutretire
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Strand RV. Used them one summer when we got hit by lightning. They came right to the site and performed all the work while I was swimming in the ocean. Great place.

Bill
Bill & Diane
3 Boys, 1 dog
1DIL, 3 Granddaughters
2002 Excursion Limited\w 7.3 PSD
2003 Citation 33M TT

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I stored my 11 month old motorhome at Willowtree in December 2005 for one month. After checking the historical weather on weatherunderground.com I decided to winterize.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The weather wizards are screaming their fool heads off about a meterological Frankenstein forming in the Pacific this winter. Chickens with their head cut off long-range forecasts. Maybe this is not the winter to gamble - anywhere.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I would imagine your storage place would have all of that info. Probably a bunch of others there with same problem...

We always go to LAKELAND south of Myrtle Beach and there are several storage places there along the bypass...

Apparently alot of folks use them as when we are there setup we see the LAKELAND folks pulling trailers from across the bypass road all the time to their place and setting them up.

Don't know where your storage place is without looking it up...

I'm sure you could call Lakeland Camping Resort and talk with their maintenance folks. They might be setup to fix you up...

Roy Ken

My 5th wheel is at Willowtree RV Resort which is in North Myrtle and really in Longs SC.

I just spoke with them and they are going to email a list of service providers. The lady wanted to discuss first with the gentleman who pulls the RV's in and out of storage.

Since I have a bypass valve on the hot water tank this step takes about 15 minutes start to finish. Not a big deal but worth the piece of mind

Dave

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would imagine your storage place would have all of that info. Probably a bunch of others there with same problem...

We always go to LAKELAND south of Myrtle Beach and there are several storage places there along the bypass...

Apparently alot of folks use them as when we are there setup we see the LAKELAND folks pulling trailers from across the bypass road all the time to their place and setting them up.

Don't know where your storage place is without looking it up...

I'm sure you could call Lakeland Camping Resort and talk with their maintenance folks. They might be setup to fix you up...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP here,

First thanks to all who have replied!

It seems that I should go ahead and have the pink stuff pumped in. As I live in SW PA and suffering the effects of a recent stroke I will need to hire a service to perform this function. I just can't travel that far for 15 or 20 minutes of work.

Now the question becomes can anyone recommend a mobile service to perform this task?

Thanks!

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it would be worth it to get it done. It can get very cold in MB. And that average is just that an average. Meaning it gets much colder sometimes, and much warmer sometimes. Together that makes an average,

So Really. The average doesn't mean much as to how cold it can get. One night of 15F, and one night of 45F averaged together is 30F. so you see. It can get cold.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I live about 30 miles N of there on the coast, about the same weather. I have seen winters where it hardly gets below freezing ( 28f - 30f or so ) but that is about as unusual as last year when it got in the teens for several days. So it is a **** shoot. Most years you can count on mid 20's for a few nights. Worst I have seen here was 6 or 8 degrees, but that was almost 30 years ago.

I left mine drained with no pink stuff last year till I saw the really cold weather coming, then added the pink stuff, but I was here full time to monitor the situation. If it were me, and I was out of State, I would not take a chance on global warming being my friend. Good luck!!

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Walmart usually has the pink stuff also Ace Hardware. If it doesn't get below 32 F there should be no problem. That's IF...

Believe me I tried to find it!

Went to Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowe's, and several auto parts stores. None had it and could not recommend a place either.

Keep in mind this was with a steady downpour and the police were already closing portions of the roads due to flooding.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart usually has the pink stuff also Ace Hardware. If it doesn't get below 32 F there should be no problem. That's IF...
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)